How great was Romo?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes it was..

We were a top five offense yardage-wise, but bottom of the league in red-zone scoring, play action passing and bottom half scoring wise...………...

No big deal, but Dallas was top five in scoring nearly half the time w/ Romo and was in the top half or better in scoring every year but one...and that was 2008 when they were 18th

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it was both and was a solid decision at the time. Hindsight says Dak has sucked, but the team doesn't have the luxury of hindsight. If they did, we could argue the team should have moved on from Romo instead of resigning him.
But there were some of us who questioned the decision going in.

I’d argue we could have had the best of both worlds by staying with Dak in 2016 and still leaving the job open for 2017.

Obviously youre going to be more supportive of the decision since you agreed with it.

khiladi

Reaction score
You’ve lost me. I thought we were discussing entire Romo era?

I thought you were talking about my last post. Generally I’m talking about Garrett in general. It actually got worse, to the point Jerry had to finally pull the leash on Garrett.

As I said, by 2012 when Jerry said enough and changed would be made, this is when power was slowly being taken away from Garrett over the offense. I remember a scene when both Romo and Witten were yelling at Garrett on the sideline. By 2012, Dallas papers were full of how Garrett has run out of ideas and maybe they need to use more no-huddle.

Dallas offense was putrid, last in the league in play-action, bottom of the league in scoring.

Hudson Houck then ‘resigned’, Skip Peete was tired and John Garrett, who Jason promoted to passing game coordinator and whose pet project was Kevin Ogletree was given a graceful exit.

Romo was then given his new contract and Jerry said he would be given “Payton-like” responsibilities, now being involved in game-planning and having input into coaching. Most Garrett homers tried to spin this that Romo just didn’t care, when in reality it was Garrett not having Romo involved. Even Garrett said at this time that it makes sense for a QB to be involved, meaning he was spinning this as a decision he agreed to. I’m pretty sure Romo probably told Jerry that as part of the contract, he needs more input. Wade Wilson himself said that with this change, Romo’s input will increase and Romo will have an impact on strategy.

Jerry was impressed by Callahan, so he gave the play calling duties to him. But as Jerry said, Garrett kept interfering; primarily because Callahan was a west-coast disciple and was changing the offense philosophically. So Jerry compromised with Garrett and they got Linehan, but Jerry at the same time said Jason isn’t going to touch the offense and they don’t want him anywhere hear it.

In the off season, while everybody rise was talking about other aspects of the team, Jerry was gushing about the new Linehan-Romo partnership.

Then Romo was second in MVP voting, they ran more then they ever did with Garrett, on RPOs and he threw for 34 TDS and only 9 INTs..

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Have you seen the roughing the passer penalties this year? Oh, thats right, they never applied to Romo!
Whether they call a penalty or not, you still have to withstand the hit. Do you have confidence Romo would have survived those hits Fitzpatrick was taking last night?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Whether they call a penalty or not, you still have to withstand the hit. Do you have confidence Romo would have survived those hits Fitzpatrick was taking last night?
Would he be playing for Tampa? Aaron Rodgers has had as many broken collarbones as Romo.. He is still out there. Manning played his last years with a neck that could not turn normally.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
But there were some of us who questioned the decision going in.

I’d argue we could have had the best of both worlds by staying with Dak in 2016 and still leaving the job open for 2017.

Obviously youre going to be more supportive of the decision since you agreed with it.
Every decision is questioned by some. There is a debate on every single topic. Romo being extended was a no brainer in my opinion yet that was questioned. Every single draft pick is debated because someone else is wanted. Every free agent signing. The list goes on and on.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Would he be playing for Tampa? Aaron Rodgers has had as many broken collarbones as Romo.. He is still out there. Manning played his last years with a neck that could not turn normally.
So you think Romo is good to go and he could take all those hits. OK, I disagree. We'll never be able to determine who is right.

khiladi

Reaction score
No big deal, but Dallas was top five in scoring nearly half the time w/ Romo and was in the top half or better in scoring every year but one...and that was 2008 when they were 18th

We dropped from 2 to 18 in 2018 when Garrett got full control over the offense. The next year we were 14th. 2010 we jumped to 7, only becayse our defense proceeded to generate thirty plus TOs against bad teams after Wade was fired and Jerry yelled at the team. Kitna was still chucking more INTs than TDs with Garrett’s passing game. And we were still producing that scoring output when Wade was here anyways, but Garrett’s offense committed 19 TOs in 8 games. Then we dropped back to 15 and remained as 15 in 2012. And again we were bottom of the league in red zone scoring. Many of our points were field goals.

My point being, Jason Garrett is what killed this offense. Romo was making the numbers be better than they ever were and the offense was basically built to turn the ball over. Garrett’s offense put tremendous pressure on the QBs.

khiladi

Reaction score

Aaron Rodgers had a preventative surgery to shave a portion of his collarbone, obviously because he injured if a lot. Tony Romo’s collarbone surgery was for this exact same purpose, preventative to shave a portion of his collarbone to prevent further injury.

The decision to bench Romo was stupid. It has nothing to do with a collarbone or ruptured disk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every decision is questioned by some. There is a debate on every single topic. Romo being extended was a no brainer in my opinion yet that was questioned. Every single draft pick is debated because someone else is wanted. Every free agent signing. The list goes on and on.
True. But you stated you supported the decision. Which you don’t have any second guessing in the decision which presents a completely different perspective when discussing this particular subject.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So you think Romo is good to go and he could take all those hits. OK, I disagree. We'll never be able to determine who is right.

All the hits that Romo got injured on are now illegal. While the hit on the slide in preseason was legal because it was bang bang, the QB is protected in the slide for a reason.

There are 2 facts that you cannot argue though and my preface that it was the wrong decision at the time:

1) Romo was ready to go at game 9
2) Dak had great trade value at that time-he is worthless now.

khiladi

Reaction score
The other part, as I said multiple times, is Tony’s last injury was ‘textbook football trauma’ per the experts.

https://geauxspine.com/dr-james-tony-romos-back-injury

“As an elite NFL athlete, it is safe to assume Tony Romo’s bones are not weak. However, being slammed to the turf by a 260lb defensive end clearly generated the force that fractured Romo’s L1 vertebrae. This was a TEXT-BOOK FOOTBALL TRAUMA . The bad news for Cowboys fans is that their starting quarter back will be out of commission for at least 6 weeks. The good news for Tony Romo are his treatment options and long-term prognosis.”

And further, it didn’t require surgery and would heal on its own and it did, like they said it would. None of it would impact his play.

“Tony Romo will need at least 6-8 weeks to allow his L1 vertebrae to properly heal. After that period, if he wants to play football, he should be fine. A wedge compression fracture is not a career ending injury for a healthy athlete.”

But our resident experts that thought Dak was the greatest thing since sliced bread and are looking comical right now, only have the injury to harp on. Even if Romo got injured, who cares? That’s what the backup is for.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers had a preventative surgery to shave a portion of his collarbone, obviously because he injured if a lot. Tony Romo’s collarbone surgery was for this exact same purpose, preventative to shave a portion of his collarbone to prevent further injury.

The decision to bench Romo was stupid. It has nothing to do with a collarbone or ruptured disk.
It was a PR decision and why having an owner who also wears the GM hat is a conflict of interest .

Jer had two new toys in Dak and Zeke with more marketability than Romo. Ultimately Jerry showed his true colors. The same reason he stayed with Romo all those years . He sold jerseys, put butts in the seats providing hope.

khiladi

Reaction score
All the hits that Romo got injured on are now illegal. While the hit on the slide in preseason was legal because it was bang bang, the QB is protected in the slide for a reason.

There are 2 facts that you cannot argue though and my preface that it was the wrong decision at the time:

I would argue the guy was crossing the line, because a defender can’t hit a sliding QB unless it unavoidable. That rule was in place even then and he came from behind. It was more dirty, considering the context of pre-season especially.

JustChip

Reaction score
Why is it toxic. There is very little Romo bashing going on. Very little. You have a group of fans who think very highly of Romo and a group of fans who think he is being overrated by the fan base. It's not a discussion of Romo is great vs. Romo sucks.

Well said.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

It doens't matter if they are illegal. If he gets hit and is hurt and we get a flag it is still a hurt QB in street clothes.

And his major injury that will always give him problems the Commanders barely touched Romo on his calf. That injury in 2013 was going to be the gift that kept on giving for the rest of his career.

I will not argue that Romo was ready, he was. What I will argue is you claiming it was the wrong decision. It was a decision that SOME fans disagree with. Other fans, the Cowboys, and most talking heads thought the decision to remain with Dak was the correct one. There isn't right or wrong. There is only a difference of opinion.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It doens't matter if they are illegal. If he gets hit and is hurt and we get a flag it is still a hurt QB in street clothes.

And his major injury that will always give him problems the Commanders barely touched Romo on his calf. That injury in 2013 was going to be the gift that kept on giving for the rest of his career.

I will not argue that Romo was ready, he was. What I will argue is you claiming it was the wrong decision. It was a decision that SOME fans disagree with. Other fans, the Cowboys, and most talking heads thought the decision to remain with Dak was the correct one. There isn't right or wrong. There is only a difference of opinion.
To say that it was the right decision would be to have some evidence that we are better off now for it. The evidence is that we are worse off now for it. Our best Receiver is not on the team and our QB sucks and we are now in the process of our second unsuccessful season after the decision. It was the wrong decision, the evidence proves it. Whatever would have happenned if Romo played and got hurt again or not would not have been worse than this.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
True. But you stated you supported the decision. Which you don’t have any second guessing in the decision which presents a completely different perspective when discussing this particular subject.
No I don't have any second guessing. I said the moment Romo was going to miss half the 2016 season that the Cowboys should cut him and move onto the next era. That we didn't need to go 1-7 and have Romo come back to ruin draft position. That regardless of what happened in 2016, Romo should definitely be cut after the season. I still stand behind that opinion. The Romo era was over and done with for better or worse. I've said this multiple times already, I don't care if the team went 0-16, it was time to move on from Romo period.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

But staying with Dak for remainder of season was only part of the decision which more would agree with.

The decision to move on from Romo moving forward in 2017 can be more hotly contested.

Romo didn’t retire until it was made clear he wasn't going to be given an opportunity to win his job back.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
To say that it was the right decision would be to have some evidence that we are better off now for it. The evidence is that we are worse off now for it. Our best Receiver is not on the team and our QB sucks and we are now in the process of our second unsuccessful season after the decision. It was the wrong decision, the evidence proves it. Whatever would have happenned if Romo played and got hurt again or not would not have been worse than this.
No, continuing mediocrity is the worst thing. If we fall flat on our face, we get a top QB in the draft and hope he isn't a bust. Dak sucking now does not mean moving on from Romo was the wrong choice. You disagree and you can't come to terms with the team's decision.