CFZ How I've Come to Peace as a Cowboys Fan

T-RO

Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan, I'll concede: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
IE = Fair Weather Fan

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

But here it is:

-If It's an ugly loss, I watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a win I watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (I'm a night owl)

3 - Later in the week before bed I often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - I take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan, I'll concede: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.
It's all about expectations.
With Jerry in charge, a don't count on any playoff success.
Take it a game at a time.
I really enjoy the GameDay threads.
I have built several relationships with other fans on the zone.
It's like watching the game with fellow Cowboys fans.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s pretty easy to come to peace as a fan of a franchise that’s won 5 Super Bowls. Just imagine Cleveland and Detroit fans trying to come to peace as fans of their teams. Talk about being trapped in hell. Lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I came to peace when I became a fan at 7 years old.
And never wavered since.

I don’t let all the Jerry stuff or any other stuff bother me.
What does bother me is fair weather or the occasional fan, though it really doesn’t bother me either.
Or the fans that don’t pay a lot of attention then repeat the crap they hear on the radio or elsewhere without having all the facts.
Yes the fans that rag on everything at times are frustrating but yet at time can be entertaining.

But yet I am still at peace.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s pretty easy to come to peace as a fan of a franchise that’s won 5 Super Bowls. Just imagine Cleveland and Detroit fans trying to come to peace as fans of their teams. Lol

I think those fans become NFL polygamists.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't worry much about things I can't change....no amount of yelling, whining and name calling will change the Cowboys.....so, I watch every game and enjoy it for what it is...a chess match on turf. I enjoy the pay calling, game plans and appreciate football.

kskboys

Reaction score
I came to peace when I became a fan at 7 years old.
And never wavered since.

I don’t let all the Jerry stuff or any other stuff bother me.
What does bother me is fair weather or the occasional fan, though it really doesn’t bother me either.
Or the fans that don’t pay a lot of attention then repeat the crap they hear on the radio or elsewhere without having all the facts.
Yes the fans that rag on everything at times are frustrating but yet at time can be entertaining.

But yet I am still at peace.
The media reiteraters are the absolute worse.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember actually crying when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl in January 1993. That was out of, what seemed like to a teenager, a long time suffering through the back half of the 80's.

If they win one after all these years of Jerry I would be inconsolable. I may have to be sedated.

That first experience was Desert Storm. This is Vietnam.

Shane612

Reaction score
It's just a game. I have NO emotional ties with any member of the Dallas Cowboys. And certainly they have no knowledge of me.
One of the mystery in sports to me is grown men who are so emotionally attached to "their" team, and the players. And don't you dare say anything critical of their favorite player.
:laugh: