CFZ How I've Come to Peace as a Cowboys Fan

manster4ever

Reaction score
IE = Fair Weather Fan

Disagree totally....he's a solid fan just doesn't wanna put all his emotional eggs into one basket.....can't blame him. I live in Michigan but grew up a tried and true Cowboys fan the first time I laid my eyes on Roger the Dodger and that great '78 team. It was over after that BUT my home state team is a distant 2nd place. I've ignored them for years but now they're actually on a helluva positive trajectory and have a solid GM as well. You can be a fan of more than one team....it doesn't make you 'fair weather' or a band wagon jumper. There are no tried and true rules IMO.

manster4ever

Reaction score
This is for me only, not to the person that started this thread. What works for him, works for him.

Let me preface this by saying I am a serious sports fan. Not as bad as I was in my 20s, but for me, its serious stuff. My oldest daughter is the all time leader in points scored at her HS in basketball, boy or girl. She would have started on the varsity team around here when she was in the 7th grade. She got that way from me coaching her. She never played a single game of Golf, basketball or softball at the JV or Frosh level. She was a 4 year starter and all conference player and league mvp. She played both college basketball and softball at the d2 level. She tied an NCAA record hitting 4 HRs in a single game..... all of that was because I was her coach from age 1 month....lol
I coached HS and club softball for 20 years, it dominated my life. I am now done coaching. <y point... sports and competition are in my blood. You come over for a barbecue, Im kicking your butt in corn hole. We play clue, I have strategies to kick your arse in that also... my wife wont even play with me.

On Sundays, I wake up, get my coffee, start listening to fantasy radio 2 hours before 10 am west coast kickoff. I watch EVERY game. My emotions go up and down and that is exactly what makes it so great. Little in my life gets me so excited and so upset at the same time...... which is the fun. I used to tell my teams that the games can not only be fun if we win. The closes losses are also fun. The tension at some of our games you could cut with a knife. We knocked out the number 1 team in the state from the HS playoffs in a 1-0 nail biter. Our pitcher collapsed in the dugout after the game because she was emotionally spent... it was freaking AMAZING! But I have also been on the losing end of those types of games.....and it is that emotion that is simply unmatched anywhere else in my life.

So, to hear someone actually say they have started rooting for the Bills, Lions and Chargers is an absolute joke to me. Those teams have won exactly zero titles and have been pathetic for the past 30 years. So you think your heartache rooting for them is going to be all cured? I could not root for another team anymore than I could all of the sudden start dating men. Ot is who I am.

You think the rams or Bengals had any great expectations of winning a SB title last year? Nope, zilch, and then pow, it just happens. It is the journey, it is the excitement all week leading uo to the games, it is the excitement of kickoff. But you only seem to enjoy things when we win. You cant enjoy the wins if you dont know the heartache of the losses.

.....you sound a little nutty bro

So for me, I simply cant understand your way of thinking.

My daughter and I are heading to our 4th Cowboys game of this season in Nashville on Dec 29 against the titans. I cant wait.... but maybe I will wait outside and wait till halftime to see if we are winning. If we are kicking their arse, Ill go in. If we are losing, maybe Ill just walk over to the honkey tonk and drown my sorrow? What a ****** way to live.

manster4ever

Reaction score
It's just a game. I have NO emotional ties with any member of the Dallas Cowboys. And certainly they have no knowledge of me.
One of the mystery in sports to me is grown men who are so emotionally attached to "their" team, and the players. And don't you dare say anything critical of their favorite player.
:laugh:

Exactly, it's a GAME. Some guys need to have a reality check. It's not life or death fer crissakes.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
Life is too short.
JJ's decisions do not affect your remuneration prospects, only his.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The rain drop does what gravity allows it to do, with some influence from random dirty and grime it may come in contact on it's way down the window.
Football, and other competitive sports, is measuring how much a player is able to impose his will on his opponent within the confines of the rules of the game.
You don't say.....

The point was, the end result is exactly the same as to how it affects the rooter. Big picture wise, of course. Hence, calling someone a "quitter" because they don't get as excited as they once did over the fortunes of sports team is ridiculous, self-serving hogwash.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well if you were around in the 70s, 80s, and 90s you should understand how the rules have changed to ensure league parity.

Lets see. 60s had the dominant Packers, then in the 70s it really was the steelers, dolphins, Raiders in the afc and nobody else. Nfc was the Cowboys and Vkings and nobody else.
80s was the Niners in the NFC.... uhm, and who else????Bears had a 2-3 year run, Eagles were solid in late 80s, Commanders. AFC Raiders were good early, Denver, Miami.. that was it.

90s, Clearly Dallas Dominated the first half of the 90s, Bills controlled early half of 90s for afc... BUT, in 95 I believe is when the salary cap hit and the NFL world changed, so stop trying to compare pre cap with post cap and expect a team to be in the hunt every year. They are in the hunt for as long as they have the stud taking snaps.

I NEVER understand when Cowboys fans want to start talking about the dominance of the past to compare to the NFL world today. Doing so is either ignorant or willfully blind, one of the two.
I can tell you weren't born yet.
By your standards we'll chalk you up as ignorant :thumbup:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
I did it much easier...I lowered my expectations. I came up with another success factor, its called regular season. we win the division, its our championship and I celebrate....I don't expect much after that. anything else is icing on the cake. also, an almost made the playoffs and almost won the playoff game. those are consolation prizes. just lower your expectations and its all easy

Shane612

Reaction score
You don't say.....

The point was, the end result is exactly the same as to how it affects the rooter. Big picture wise, of course. Hence, calling someone a "quitter" because they don't get as excited as they once did over the fortunes of sports team is ridiculous, self-serving hogwash.
You asked. I answered.
Next time phrase your question more clearly.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You asked. I answered.
Next time phrase your question more clearly.
My bad.

I thought it was clear when taken in the context of the comments it was responding to.

I can see how it could be taken out of that context.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Reduce all expectations.
2. Understand it's about entertainment not winning for jerry.
3. Don't let their shortcomings affect your life. It's been 25+ years since they've done anything of note, go life a real life.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm enjoying my Sunday. The aforementioned "peace plan" is serving well.

Hope no items, relationships or coronaries were broken at your homes today!

Shalom

Jimbo69

Reaction score
I have immense difficulty understanding how anyone who professes to support any team could root for another. Other than degrees of hatred.
For instance if any NFL East team other than the Boys got to a SB I'm an AFC man for that game.
Mind you I'm English.

T-RO

Reaction score
I have immense difficulty understanding how anyone who professes to support any team could root for another. Other than degrees of hatred.
For instance if any NFL East team other than the Boys got to a SB I'm an AFC man for that game.
Mind you I'm English.

I don't root for Cowboys rivals, of course. In the ultimately silly past-time known as the NFL...I have a "wife" (Cowboys) and multiple girl friends (other teams I enjoy). Just one part of my peace plan. As I said in my OP...it's not for everyone.

Hatred for someone like me? OK. Do still sincerely wish you happy holidays. Cheers.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
I don't root for Cowboys rivals, of course. In the ultimately silly past-time known as the NFL...I have a "wife" (Cowboys) and multiple girl friends (other teams I enjoy). Just one part of my peace plan. As I said in my OP...it's not for everyone.

Hatred for someone like me? OK. Do still sincerely wish you happy holidays. Cheers.
I'm sorry, not hatred for you but degrees of hatred for other NFL teams that are not the Cowboys.
I thought my example made that clear- obviously not. So apologies.
Merry Christmas anyway.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm sorry, not hatred for you but degrees of hatred for other NFL teams that are not the Cowboys.
I thought my example made that clear- obviously not. So apologies.
Merry Christmas anyway.

Thank you for clarifying. Merry Christmas. Go Cowboys!