CFZ How I've Come to Peace as a Cowboys Fan

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As I said in OP, "My plan might seem like nonsense to you."

But this formula is fine-tuned brilliancy, optimizing pleasure, eliminating pain....the achievement of ultimate football zen nirvana. ;)

Not complicated at all. To summarize:

-Diversify Team Investment (sleep around)
-Delay watching until after outcome is determined
-Doggie bags for mid-week treats
-Day-By-Day (These things I pray) mentality

Risen will now lead us in prayer:

Your plan is be a fair weather fan.

T-RO

Reaction score
The bots come to save an NPC. Entertainment Extraordinaire.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't worry much about things I can't change....no amount of yelling, whining and name calling will change the Cowboys.....so, I watch every game and enjoy it for what it is...a chess match on turf. I enjoy the pay calling, game plans and appreciate football.
I enjoy being a fan of the Cowboys. Win loose draw. People don’t understand i enjoy being a fan of the Cowboys. Win lose draw. People don’t understand what Mr. cowboy the camaraderie the star means . I can’t understand her how are members stuck it out this long.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
This is for me only, not to the person that started this thread. What works for him, works for him.

Let me preface this by saying I am a serious sports fan. Not as bad as I was in my 20s, but for me, its serious stuff. My oldest daughter is the all time leader in points scored at her HS in basketball, boy or girl. She would have started on the varsity team around here when she was in the 7th grade. She got that way from me coaching her. She never played a single game of Golf, basketball or softball at the JV or Frosh level. She was a 4 year starter and all conference player and league mvp. She played both college basketball and softball at the d2 level. She tied an NCAA record hitting 4 HRs in a single game..... all of that was because I was her coach from age 1 month....lol
I coached HS and club softball for 20 years, it dominated my life. I am now done coaching. <y point... sports and competition are in my blood. You come over for a barbecue, Im kicking your butt in corn hole. We play clue, I have strategies to kick your arse in that also... my wife wont even play with me.

We have a lot in common @Reid1boys , and thanks for giving me an opportunity to brag on my girls and explain how I deal with the Cowboys.

My oldest won the Pony Nationals as a 12 year old, she played 3rd base and had many outstanding plays in the field during the finals. She also went 3 for 3 with 2 doubles, with 3 RBI's in the 5-3 win in the final. She played on a travel team that played all over the country, from Colorado to New York. She had many scholarship offers, but she wanted to be an RN and the amount of study that went with the career would never have worked with playing ball. Oddly, several of her friends went on to play college ball and most ended up hating it.

My youngest set the county (large county) for 3 pointers as a freshman. That record still stands today. As a 14 year old, she received 13 letters of interest from colleges, including 2 D1 schools. It's funny because the letters started pouring in after she hit 9 threes in a college showcase tourney. She also won the Virginia state free throw title as a 10 year old. It came down to her and one other girl in a playoff. They both hit 4 out of 5 twice, so it came down to a third time. She went first and hit all 5, never even touching the rim. (I know this sounds like a lie,but it's the truth). The other girl was so deflated, she missed the first one. She also played at the national level from Oklahoma to Rhode Island. I have always taken a lot of pride in her shooting because I taught her how to. Sadly, (for me) she burned out from all the traveling and practicing when she was 16. I always told them both that when it wasn't fun anymore they should stop. I agreed with her with a smile on my face, but I was crushed inside. The joy I felt watching my girls play was finally over.

If people knew what kind of money I spend all those years on bats, gloves, shoes, travel, etc. a lot would call me a fool. When my oldest really got serious playing we actually turned our mortgage into interest-only for about 5 years to make sure we had enough to live comfortably. As the years went on and we both got promotions, it became easier to pay for it all. I don't regret the money for one second, the memories I have still play through my head daily.

Now on to the topic. Because of all the travel, years went by where I didn't see a single Cowboys game live. At first it drove me crazy and I carried a small radio for updates on the games. It got easier as the years went on, but I still taped every game on my VCR so I could watch when I got home. Then on one Monday night we were up on the Skins 13-0 in the 4th and Moss caught to long bombs to beat us. I was still awake at 2 AM with my heart beating 150 a minute. I had to get up for work at 5. I realized the players were out having a good time and I was laying there miserable over the loss. That's when I have my epiphany, it was stupid to get so emotionally invested in a game. Since then, I will occasionally yell at the TV, but I can walk away and not give it a second thought. I still love the Cowboys, but whatever happens, I have no control over.

I am really sorry for this long message, and for those who made it this far, thank you. When I have a chance to talk about my girls I cannot shut up. Those were the happiest days of my life.

Blackrain

Reaction score
How I've come to peace well for starters I've adjusted my expectations.

When I was a young buck in the late '60s and early '70s I could let my expectations run wild because Tom Landry Roger Staubach Bob Lilly and a long list of other great men allowed me to do that.

We were never out of contention back then no expectation was too high now my fandom has evolved I still get excited but I don't let it affect me like it once did when I was young.

I look at it now like I was so privileged back then to see the absolute best of Cowboy football played and coached by true NFL gods that it would be pretty hard to duplicate that in today's world.

I have to say in 2016 now the spark that DAk and Zeke created truly gave me a new hope that I hadn't experienced in quite a while but it quickly vanished with the horrible coaching of Jason Garrett

That said I'm pretty much at peace with my life as a Cowboys fan I feel like I'm playing with house money after all the great football that they provided me.

I'm always hopeful but realize that their circumstances that are way beyond my control and in what is left of my lifetime there is little chance that those circumstances will change to the point of Super bowl success.

I'm happy with making the playoffs and watching our young players develop like Micah and trayvon diggs.
Most of all I really just like good football to watch much like that 2016 team gave us give me power running and good defense along with ball security ,minimal penalties, a quarterback that can make plays with his legs get tackled and pop back up and lead his team and I'm a pretty happy guy

CWR

Reaction score
1 /thread.

I hate it personally, but far be it for me to criticize a system that works for you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s been a very difficult era for Cowboy fans. Much disappointment and frustration. And most of it can be directed at the feet of our egotistical dysfunctional owner.

I waved my white flag years ago. And also realized that despise our glorious championship history there is no guarantees we will ever return to that stature again.

I’m not as invested financially or emotionally as I used to be . I still watch all of the games but stop attending on a regular basis walking away from season tickets when we moved.

While I haven’t adopted any other teams I’ve always enjoyed watching other great players. And I can still root against our divisional foes and rivals.

We are like many other mediocre franchises now where winning or even paying for championships isn’t as likely. At least we have our history to revel in. Most fans don’t.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
Not a bad approach. I've tried to watch more teams or specific players and it definitely makes the league more interesting. I love the NFL+ subscription. Watching the line play on the all 22 is really fun.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
It's all about expectations.
With Jerry in charge, a don't count on any playoff success.
Take it a game at a time.
I really enjoy the GameDay threads.
I have built several relationships with other fans on the zone.
It's like watching the game with fellow Cowboys fans.
Yeah it is Xpectations or attachment whatever you wanna call it I just enjoyed each play let it go. I don’t rant and cry the next day in the zone.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
IE = Fair Weather Fan

That might be a little harsh, but I do see where you're coming from.

It was back in the late 70s I realized I was letting a game affect my mood and outlook, much like my daddy did with OU football until he died. It took a few years, but I learned to accept it as entertainment and an escape from the rigors of life for a few hours. I'll admit some losses still leave me with a bad taste and I really disliked Garrett, but I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the games.

While I'd much rather we win, if we lose or even go through a spell of bad teams, I can still enjoy the break from life for a bit.

Learn to take any sport for what it is, a break from life for a while. In the grand scheme of things, the outcome means very little.