CFZ How I've Come to Peace as a Cowboys Fan

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
Post of the week candidate right here.

I despise Jerry and the evil spawn so much that I find solace in the fact that losses are embarrassing to them. That gets me by.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Your plan is be a fair weather fan.
Serious question. Rocky.

How much difference do you see between rooting for your favorite team, and rooting for which raindrop reaches the bottom of the window first?

I'm serious. This is a sincere question.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My son is a Charger fan and I must admit I love watching Herbert throw the football. If he was here, we'd be undefeated.
Now a days, when the wheels come off during a game I just laugh and SMH

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just a game. I have NO emotional ties with any member of the Dallas Cowboys. And certainly they have no knowledge of me.
One of the mystery in sports to me is grown men who are so emotionally attached to "their" team, and the players. And don't you dare say anything critical of their favorite player.
:laugh:

I'm emotionally attached to the franchise. The logo. I don't have any attachment to the players. They come and go. If you can help us win I want you here. The moment you can't I want you gone.

Nothing weird about that. It's called being a fan.

Now fans worshipping players to the point that they start siding with them over the good of the team? That's weird.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few years ago I felt trapped in Cowboys hell. Fed up with Jerry and feeling hopeless the team would ever bring up another Lombardi Trophy.

In the past couple years I cobbled together a "system" that works for me. Gives me more peace and enjoyment as a fan. My plan might seem like nonsense to you. Might not work for you at all.

But here it is:

1 - In addition to my Cowboys wife, I've added mistresses, side dalliances. Yup. The Chargers, the Bills, even an emerging interest in the Lions, who I think could be a fun team on the rise next year. If things are ugly at home....I get out. (I sure don't view this as a good plan for real life family, but feeling loyalty to a sports team? C'mon, thazzz silly.)

2 - I don't watch games live. Do loosely track the game, but don't watch. Depending on how interesting the game looks after it's over I do the following:
-If It's an ugly loss, watch 10 minute highlights that night on YouTube. That's it. Save the full game to watch later in week, when I'm detached.
-If it's a well played loss I sometimes watch most or all the plays that evening on condensed NFL+
-If it's a win watch the full re-broadcast on NFL+...again later that night (night owl here)

3 - Later in the week before bed often re-watch (or watch afresh) chunks of games. Then I'm 100% in analytical mode.

4 - Take it game-by-game and enjoy any win and any player successes. Not hung up on Super Bowls. With 1/32 odds each year, life's too short to get hung up on winning the fan lottery.

I'm not going to expose my emotions to a Roger-Goodell-run league or a Jerry-run team. Just not. One thing certainly does suck with my plan: the annual subscription for NFL+ package.

If any part of my plan adds a little enjoyment to a couple fans here...I'm honored to have assisted.
Nooooo. Watching without knowing the outcome is the excitement.

My system is to analyze the games/players.

Analysis is more interesting after losses which gives a partial balance. Obviously I prefer to win, but reviewing game footage to understand why they lost is entertaining.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Why are some of you guys so hard on Jerry?

His only desire is to win for the fans. He doesn’t care about the spotlight, money, yachts, etc.

He’s the most egoless person ever!

:grin:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When we win, I spend a little more time on the site. When we lose, I'm non existence.
Same here, but only because whn we lose this place is a miserable place and I cant stand to see all the threads about this player sucking, the coach should get fired, Jerry is worst owner in sports and on and on and on all week long.... I just cant deal with it.

Shane612

Reaction score
I'm emotionally attached to the franchise. The logo. I don't have any attachment to the players. They come and go. If you can help us win I want you here. The moment you can't I want you gone.

Nothing weird about that. It's called being a fan.

Now fans worshipping players to the point that they start siding with them over the good of the team? That's weird.
Good point.
Their uniform do bring back many fond memories, and sometimes reminds me of times with my dad.

Shane612

Reaction score
I don't worry much about things I can't change....no amount of yelling, whining and name calling will change the Cowboys.....so, I watch every game and enjoy it for what it is...a chess match on turf. I enjoy the pay calling, game plans and appreciate football.
Good way to approach it, as an adult, but it's a good conversation to have over beer.

Shane612

Reaction score
Serious question. Rocky.

How much difference do you see between rooting for your favorite team, and rooting for which raindrop reaches the bottom of the window first?

I'm serious. This is a sincere question.
The rain drop does what gravity allows it to do, with some influence from random dirty and grime it may come in contact on it's way down the window.
Football, and other competitive sports, is measuring how much a player is able to impose his will on his opponent within the confines of the rules of the game.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
lol... similar life. I traveled the entire country with my Club team... I owned the organization and was coaching as many as 7 games in 1 day. Ugh, wth was I thinking? I often didnt even eat all day long. Free throws.... in a HS playoff game my kid was 24 for 25 in a 40 point performance. She avg 25 points a game and the team double teamed her every time she touched the ball, but they simply couldnt stop her from getting to the rim because she was such a good ball handler and as a result their entire starting 5 fouled out. Her lone miss.... and I am dead serious, they handed her the ball, she was taking her dribbles and the defensive player that is normally behind the top of the key just walked straight down the side of the court, my kid stopped her dribble, LOOKED AT THE PLAYER, turned back and took her shot.... her lone miss and the refs never called lane violation.

I feel you about when it comes to an end... but we have all those great memories. a 50 point game in JR high, 40 point HS playoff game, 4 hrs in a single game in college.... IM pretty proud that she did all that with me guiding her. Now, she is my Cowboys travel buddy. When the schedule comes out, she is texting me with the games she thinks we should go to. Next up is the Titans game.

I also used let losses ruin my next 3 days. Now, Im normally over them within 30 minutes. I think that is because we are older, have more life experiences, have lost loved ones and we now understand that in the end those wins or loses arent changing our lives. We didnt get that in our 20s.
BUT.... that Packers loss stuck with me and made me a grumpy pri.... to my wife. I hadnt done that in a long time... i was so disgusted with that loss and it could make us a wildcard team instead of the East Winner... that was a bad loss.

plasticman

Reaction score
In a given week I probably watch a lot more of the Cowboys game action than 90% here. Just not live-action. Prefer lots of scrutiny. Looking at players in isolation. After the fact. After any emotions of the outcome are over. I enjoy the chess-aspects of football and the sheer beauty of the athletic achievements. Since I no longer trust the league to not tinker in outcomes, I avoid emotional investment in that.

Also enjoy "hot babes" in other NFL cities, wearing different attire, interesting colors. My Chargers, Bills...maybe Lions. Who knows when a new team hits my hot spots. No, won't divorce my Cowboys, but as we are talking about a silly past-time...a league run by corrupt billionaires...I keep my football relationship open.

My OP, and this whole thread communicates things pretty clearly: On a scale of 1-10 I now take this at about a 4 on the serious scale. After my recalibrations.

When I see all the game-day-thread-jump-out-the-window comments I just laugh. Serenity now.
So you don't....

Yell at the TV as if players on the field can hear you?

Ban any family member or friend from the TV room if they compliment an opponent's player?

Enforce total silence when the Cowboys are playing?

Unintentionally teach your children or grandchildren just about every known swear word?

Bring the family pet to the brink of a nervous breakdown because they think you are screaming at them instead of the Cowboy who committed the penalty?

Drink more than one beer at a time when the Cowboys ae losing?

Pout like a spoiled little child whenever the Cowboys lose?

You don't do any of these things? Wow.....your behavior is abnormal.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I have been heartbroken so many times now. So, so, MANY times.

Now, I just assume that they will either find a way to lose in spectacular fashion (Pickle Juice) or have the game outright stolen (Dez caught it).

With this mindset, each and every win is a glorious achievement!

It helps that I no longer watch the games. I cannot sit in the same room, sometimes the same house, as my wife who screams (not says or yells, but SCREAMS) "GIT 'EM!!" before each and every play.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I comfort myself with the thought of knowing that many sports fan suffer worse and just as worse as we do. Some fan bases never experience success. I still get joy (and frustration) watching the Cowboys. When I no longer get pleasure from following the Cowboys I’ll move on…but I doubt that’ll ever happen. I want to be here for the next championship whenever that happens. Go Cowboys…

Reid1boys

Reaction score
My son is a Charger fan and I must admit I love watching Herbert throw the football. If he was here, we'd be undefeated.
Now a days, when the wheels come off during a game I just laugh and SMH
You make it like we are th eonly team where the wheels come off.

Did you happen to watch the Vikings Bills game? I dont hear anyone on the media blasting the bills.. oh same old Bills? Havent won a SB title since....... UHM NEVER. Not once have I ever heard from a single persono TV about the Bills inability to win even a single SB title... but what I do hear is how they are a serious contender.

The difference in how the Cowboys are talked about and all other teams is absolutely a ratings grab, nothing more.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make it like we are th eonly team where the wheels come off.

Did you happen to watch the Vikings Bills game? I dont hear anyone on the media blasting the bills.. oh same old Bills? Havent won a SB title since....... UHM NEVER. Not once have I ever heard from a single persono TV about the Bills inability to win even a single SB title... but what I do hear is how they are a serious contender.

The difference in how the Cowboys are talked about and all other teams is absolutely a ratings grab, nothing more.
No the difference is the seventies eighties and nineties cowboys versus the last 25 years.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No the difference is the seventies eighties and nineties cowboys versus the last 25 years.
well if you were around in the 70s, 80s, and 90s you should understand how the rules have changed to ensure league parity.

Lets see. 60s had the dominant Packers, then in the 70s it really was the steelers, dolphins, Raiders in the afc and nobody else. Nfc was the Cowboys and Vkings and nobody else.
80s was the Niners in the NFC.... uhm, and who else????Bears had a 2-3 year run, Eagles were solid in late 80s, Commanders. AFC Raiders were good early, Denver, Miami.. that was it.

90s, Clearly Dallas Dominated the first half of the 90s, Bills controlled early half of 90s for afc... BUT, in 95 I believe is when the salary cap hit and the NFL world changed, so stop trying to compare pre cap with post cap and expect a team to be in the hunt every year. They are in the hunt for as long as they have the stud taking snaps.

I NEVER understand when Cowboys fans want to start talking about the dominance of the past to compare to the NFL world today. Doing so is either ignorant or willfully blind, one of the two.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score

But here it is:

I'm enjoying the season so it is all good