How important is the Center position?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The trouble in evaluating the C position is that you typically can find guys who can be OK, and that's the reason it's not considered a premium position. Its rare that you see a team with a C so bad that it keeps them out of the playoffs like a turnstile T would. On the other hand when you have a truly great Center it makes the rest of your oline look that much better. I don't think its any coincidence that this Cowboys Oline was considered elite with Travis Frederick and has been up and down without him. I think you'll see it with Philly this year where that team will still be pretty good, but that offense just wont look quite the same without Kelce, despite having a really good Oline overall.

A center that can be well rounded enough to take on bigger guys with a strong bullrush 1v1, but also be athletic enough to pull or block at the 2nd level is huge for offensive versatility and honestly more rare than I think people realize.
Good point

And as it relates to the center versus tackle debate in the thread, I think at the NFL level you can get by with an OK center, but it’s much harder with an OK offensive tackle. Hard to say, though, those defensive tackles are so freaking big AND athletic now… and also feels like there are a lot more southpaws at quarterback in today’s league so right tackle can be just as important as left.

if I had to pick, I put my best players at both tackles and center, and let it ride at guard.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I'm not here to knock Beebe, I really like the player, but I will say that the lack of athleticism is what I fear may make this kid a four year player in Dallas only to face a similar fate as Biadasz as the Jones clan is happy to let him walk for a comp pick. I have very little doubt he could play 60% of NFL snaps at C at a high level tomorrow. I think hes going to have to show that he can effectively get to the second level and get outside on occasion in a league that is played more east/west than every.
You aren’t wrong to have that concern. It’s valid.

I personally think he’ll be able to overcome it. It didn’t hinder him in college, and K State has generally had good OL play in both the run and the pass.

I’d be more concerned if they wanted him to play OG and pull out a lot.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deuce was a PR gag from the Joneses to generate clicks with the feel-good Dad- Son Story.

He showed absolutely nothing that he could play meaningful snaps at RB in the NFL so far.

We will see but dont get your hopes up
Say you didn't watch the preseason without saying you didn't watch the preseason.

Sure, it was preseason but you can't tell me he doesn't possess NFL talent when he's that dynamic.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
When I coached High School Oline, I considered the center the most important position, they needed to be strong, smart, and athletic.
I think in the pros with the emphasis on the pass, LT is more important, but I would argue that C is still #2.
Center is still the #1 most important Oline position, Coach.

Mikexike

Reaction score
The Cowboys continued a decades long pattern of drafting only tackles and centers for their Oline. When the Cowboys draft an interior lineman, they rarely draft a college interior lineman unless he plays, or they project him to play the Center position.

So, how do they get their Guards? They draft college tackles, and convert them to guard. Look back over time - especially over the last 25 years. Who have been the highest performing guards for the Cowboys? Leonard Davis, Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Connor Williams, and now Tyler Smith.

And their top performing interior players were Andre Gurode, Travis Frederick and Tyler Biadasz. Now they’ve spent another high pick on an interior lineman. It is no surprise they want Beebe to play Center.

Frankly, despite his lone Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for another player, Tyler Biadasz has been a weak link for the Cowboys - especially in the run game. The drop in the Cowboys performance over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to their weakness in the center of the Oline.

I’m not saying that Biadasz was trash. He improved. But he was never the powerhouse that you would prefer at the position. I don’t personally know that much about Connor Beebe, other than some highly regarded scouts had him ranked among their top 40 players in this draft. He was picked 73rd.

If Beebe can successfully transition to Center (and it could take some time for the adjustment to take hold), he might be a significant upgrade that directly affects the pocket security of Dak Prescott, and has a huge impact on the Cowboys power running game.

How might this affect the Cowboys in the near term, and later this coming season? Well, last year the Cowboys spent a 6th round pick on a RB who is small in stature, but quick to the hole, and explosive after he hits the hole. If Berne can improve the interior blocking, the Cowboys have a much better chance to recoup the investment they made in Deuce Vaughn.

Also, the Cowboys have questions on the edge, with Rookie Tyler Guyton adjusting from the right side to the left side, and undrafted wunderkind Terence Steele coming off a disappointing season that followed a knee injury. Bringing back Zeke Elliott at RB may be more about helping out the pass protection for Dak than it is getting running game production from him. Zeke is well known as one of the best blocking backs in Pass Pro in the NFL. If Zeke can help with pass protection while the rookies adjust to the NFL, and while Steele hopefully gets back to the form that earned him a big contract, then the investment in Zeke could pay off - even without great production from him in the running game.

But they key to making this work is getting a big nasty Center that can hold down the middle of the line against the strong interior Dlinemen in the Division, and create space for the running game to operate efficiently.

That’s a big “if.” But all the rookies, and many of the 2nd year players remain “ifs” right now - until we see them perform. But the Cowboys at least have a plan. We’ll see if the risks they’ve taken will pay off. The key factor will be if the Cowboys grow stronger as the season progresses.
Agree with the assessment, I watched too many games where Biadasz got pushed back into the RB. Glad they addressed this issue with Beebe.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Deuce was a PR gag from the Joneses to generate clicks with the feel-good Dad- Son Story.

He showed absolutely nothing that he could play meaningful snaps at RB in the NFL so far.

We will see but dont get your hopes up
Oh c’mon, we need to have a more Deuce-friendly offense!

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Oh c’mon, we need to have a more Deuce-friendly offense!
The issue for Deuce is that on most of the plays that got called for him, it was in garbage time with backups playing Oline. He wasn't actually given a chance to show what he's capable of doing with a frontline starting Oline. That doesn't mean that Deuce is good. It just means that we still don't know if he can be good or not.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Both BP and Jimmy considered Center just as important as Tackle so I leave it with two HOF coaches judgement
Just not true at all. Teams draft Tackles all the time in the time in the top 10. Teams never draft Centers in the top 15. That should tell you all you need to know about how important Centers are. Every position is important. Ask the Bears about kickers. But overall there's a hierarchy and it's always been...
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. WR1
5. CB

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys continued a decades long pattern of drafting only tackles and centers for their Oline. When the Cowboys draft an interior lineman, they rarely draft a college interior lineman unless he plays, or they project him to play the Center position.

So, how do they get their Guards? They draft college tackles, and convert them to guard. Look back over time - especially over the last 25 years. Who have been the highest performing guards for the Cowboys? Leonard Davis, Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Connor Williams, and now Tyler Smith.

And their top performing interior players were Andre Gurode, Travis Frederick and Tyler Biadasz. Now they’ve spent another high pick on an interior lineman. It is no surprise they want Beebe to play Center.

Frankly, despite his lone Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for another player, Tyler Biadasz has been a weak link for the Cowboys - especially in the run game. The drop in the Cowboys performance over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to their weakness in the center of the Oline.

I’m not saying that Biadasz was trash. He improved. But he was never the powerhouse that you would prefer at the position. I don’t personally know that much about Connor Beebe, other than some highly regarded scouts had him ranked among their top 40 players in this draft. He was picked 73rd.

If Beebe can successfully transition to Center (and it could take some time for the adjustment to take hold), he might be a significant upgrade that directly affects the pocket security of Dak Prescott, and has a huge impact on the Cowboys power running game.

How might this affect the Cowboys in the near term, and later this coming season? Well, last year the Cowboys spent a 6th round pick on a RB who is small in stature, but quick to the hole, and explosive after he hits the hole. If Berne can improve the interior blocking, the Cowboys have a much better chance to recoup the investment they made in Deuce Vaughn.

Also, the Cowboys have questions on the edge, with Rookie Tyler Guyton adjusting from the right side to the left side, and undrafted wunderkind Terence Steele coming off a disappointing season that followed a knee injury. Bringing back Zeke Elliott at RB may be more about helping out the pass protection for Dak than it is getting running game production from him. Zeke is well known as one of the best blocking backs in Pass Pro in the NFL. If Zeke can help with pass protection while the rookies adjust to the NFL, and while Steele hopefully gets back to the form that earned him a big contract, then the investment in Zeke could pay off - even without great production from him in the running game.

But they key to making this work is getting a big nasty Center that can hold down the middle of the line against the strong interior Dlinemen in the Division, and create space for the running game to operate efficiently.

That’s a big “if.” But all the rookies, and many of the 2nd year players remain “ifs” right now - until we see them perform. But the Cowboys at least have a plan. We’ll see if the risks they’ve taken will pay off. The key factor will be if the Cowboys grow stronger as the season progresses.
Total disagreement about your take on Biadasz.

All American / All Conf / Rimington Trophy/ Pro Bowl / $25Million contract.

Any time you let a player like that walk, its not gonna make your team stronger.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Center" is a critical position on the team. He's an extension of the QB to read the defense and is the spearhead of protection for the QB. I don't think an offense can be successful without a good C.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Total disagreement about your take on Biadasz.

All American / All Conf / Rimington Trophy/ Pro Bowl / $25Million contract.

Any time you let a player like that walk, its not gonna make your team stronger.
It will make us stronger in this case.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Ummmmm almost as important as left tackle! The Cowboys dominated on the offensive line when they had Stepnoski and Frederick!
LT's go in the top 5 all the time. Centers NEVER do. That shows you what GMs think about the importance of Centers.

stinkface

Reaction score
Kelce just retired in Philly. He was a great center and could do everything. We have not had a good center since red beard left. They make the line calls. Good ones make a difference in both the running game and passing games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we all miss fredrick. pass blocking and run blocking. he also was a master at line calls. Biadasz was weaker and probably half as good as Fredrick. its an important position. now, put Beebe (if he works out), martin and Smith in the middle and that solidifies a lot.

kskboys

Reaction score
Your entire offense doesn’t matter if one of your tackles sucks. How many Chaz Green Center stories do you know? Eagles have the same story with Winston Justice and Osi Umenyiora. In the infamous 2020 Super Bowl when KC got obliterated by TB because their Oline was in tatters, it was in tatters because they were missing their LT and his backup. The Center was fine and played 100% of the snaps.

Center is an important position, but the NFL today is all about edge rushers affecting the flow of a football game. NFL owners have a pretty good understanding of the value of each positional player… they don’t throw around money needlessly. Centers get paid significantly less than LT’s not because of media bias or historical favoritism; this is the salary cap recipe most reflective of winning.
And your entire OL doesn't matter if your C sucks.

Here's the deal. It's simply easier to find a C who holds the middle. Demand plays a huge role.

In that super bowl, Mahomes was still playing hero ball. Someone finally got into his head and convinced him he doesn't need to win the game on every play.