How important is the Center position?

kskboys

Reaction score
He was the highest ranked player on the board when they took him.
Whatever.

He was a 6th round pick. Who frickin' cares if they took him because of his daddy? It just doesn't matter. Anything after the 4th is a blind dart throw, so the pick was fine. This highest ranked player on their board thingie has become nothing more than an excuse for draft gaffes. This wasn't a draft gaffe, it was a frickin' 6th rounder.

rambo2

Reaction score
Whatever.

He was a 6th round pick. Who frickin' cares if they took him because of his daddy? It just doesn't matter. Anything after the 4th is a blind dart throw, so the pick was fine. This highest ranked player on their board thingie has become nothing more than an excuse for draft gaffes. This wasn't a draft gaffe, it was a frickin' 6th rounder.
They obviously took him because they needed a running back.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The Cowboys continued a decades long pattern of drafting only tackles and centers for their Oline. When the Cowboys draft an interior lineman, they rarely draft a college interior lineman unless he plays, or they project him to play the Center position.

So, how do they get their Guards? They draft college tackles, and convert them to guard. Look back over time - especially over the last 25 years. Who have been the highest performing guards for the Cowboys? Leonard Davis, Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Connor Williams, and now Tyler Smith.

And their top performing interior players were Andre Gurode, Travis Frederick and Tyler Biadasz. Now they’ve spent another high pick on an interior lineman. It is no surprise they want Beebe to play Center.

Frankly, despite his lone Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for another player, Tyler Biadasz has been a weak link for the Cowboys - especially in the run game. The drop in the Cowboys performance over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to their weakness in the center of the Oline.

I’m not saying that Biadasz was trash. He improved. But he was never the powerhouse that you would prefer at the position. I don’t personally know that much about Connor Beebe, other than some highly regarded scouts had him ranked among their top 40 players in this draft. He was picked 73rd.

If Beebe can successfully transition to Center (and it could take some time for the adjustment to take hold), he might be a significant upgrade that directly affects the pocket security of Dak Prescott, and has a huge impact on the Cowboys power running game.

How might this affect the Cowboys in the near term, and later this coming season? Well, last year the Cowboys spent a 6th round pick on a RB who is small in stature, but quick to the hole, and explosive after he hits the hole. If Berne can improve the interior blocking, the Cowboys have a much better chance to recoup the investment they made in Deuce Vaughn.

Also, the Cowboys have questions on the edge, with Rookie Tyler Guyton adjusting from the right side to the left side, and undrafted wunderkind Terence Steele coming off a disappointing season that followed a knee injury. Bringing back Zeke Elliott at RB may be more about helping out the pass protection for Dak than it is getting running game production from him. Zeke is well known as one of the best blocking backs in Pass Pro in the NFL. If Zeke can help with pass protection while the rookies adjust to the NFL, and while Steele hopefully gets back to the form that earned him a big contract, then the investment in Zeke could pay off - even without great production from him in the running game.

But they key to making this work is getting a big nasty Center that can hold down the middle of the line against the strong interior Dlinemen in the Division, and create space for the running game to operate efficiently.

That’s a big “if.” But all the rookies, and many of the 2nd year players remain “ifs” right now - until we see them perform. But the Cowboys at least have a plan. We’ll see if the risks they’ve taken will pay off. The key factor will be if the Cowboys grow stronger as the season progresses.
How important is it??? Look at our running game, that'll tell you a lot

CWR

Reaction score
I remember BP drafting AL Johnson in the second because of how important he believed the position to be. I think having a strong center/interior goes a long ways in the run game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
For a center hiking the ball and getting to a position to block, and being able to block are the most important, line calls not important if you have Zack Martin next to the center. Most centers are keying the MLB any ways and QB is making protection calls from "under center"

gtb1943

Reaction score
For a center hiking the ball and getting to a position to block, and being able to block are the most important, line calls not important if you have Zack Martin next to the center. Most centers are keying the MLB any ways and QB is making protection calls from "under center"
There is a difference between line calls and protection calls. the center besides making sure above all else that he snaps it right, must first set himself so that he is not bullrushed in either passing downs or rushing downs. The fact that he is always a step behind everyone else due to snapping the ball is also a big transition to make

jrumann59

Reaction score
There is a difference between line calls and protection calls. the center besides making sure above all else that he snaps it right, must first set himself so that he is not bullrushed in either passing downs or rushing downs. The fact that he is always a step behind everyone else due to snapping the ball is also a big transition to make
Line calls will get over ridden by what the QB sees since he is in the best position pre-snap to see most of everything. So being able snap the ball and be in position to block, and also having the ability to block are more important since it is not the center that HAS to make any line calls, it is helpful but a guy like Zack can make the line calls as well.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Guards don’t make line calls and two guys on the line don’t have that responsibility. And QB’s either handle protections or don’t. If they don’t they aren’t overriding the C. Just not how it works.

kskboys

Reaction score
Guards don’t make line calls and two guys on the line don’t have that responsibility. And QB’s either handle protections or don’t. If they don’t they aren’t overriding the C. Just not how it works.
Not normally, tho there are a few exceptions. Kosier made our OL calls when Gurode was the C.

That being said, I do agree w/ what you're saying.

kskboys

Reaction score
Line calls will get over ridden by what the QB sees since he is in the best position pre-snap to see most of everything. So being able snap the ball and be in position to block, and also having the ability to block are more important since it is not the center that HAS to make any line calls, it is helpful but a guy like Zack can make the line calls as well.
The C makes OL calls.

blueblood70

Reaction score
hope he rates a 9 on the butt sweat meter.. that will be HOF caliber.. :laugh: :popcorn: :lmao:

gtb1943

Reaction score
The QB calls the protection package and then the Center calls the line assignments.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I think Beebe will shortly become everyone’s favorite player on the line. The kid is nasty. Between he and Tyler it’s going to be fun to watch.
I agree Beebe is country strong, I have watched him play a lot. Being a WVU
fan,I watch a bunch of big 12 football games. I love the pick, and think he will be a great player for Dallas. I am excited to watch him play.