How Long does Moore get a free ride?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sunday was fun. It was a long time coming. My main question is how much film does teams need to slow it down? Does our Cowboys have enough talent to keep changing and keep teams off balance or are we watching a one trick pony? I need some film guys for this one.

His offense is more difficult to defend than Linehan's even if teams have seen it for 10 years.

Go back and look at all Cowboys losses by 1 score with Linehan as the OC and some of those would be wins with Kellen Moore.

The Cowboys didn't get ousted form the playoffs due to offense; therefore, it's hard to say much much better the team will be with Moore as OC.

xtreme_2k

Reaction score
Sunday was fun. It was a long time coming. My main question is how much film does teams need to slow it down? Does our Cowboys have enough talent to keep changing and keep teams off balance or are we watching a one trick pony? I need some film guys for this one.
I think as long as Dak is able to utilize every skill player in the game it would be hard to scheme around this offense from a defensive standpoint. It shows Dak is not afraid to even throw on a long wheel route for his FB so guessing who is getting the ball is the key.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do you not understand play action? It's not something you can defend just because you know its coming. The advantage the offense has is optioning the play away from your defensive strengths. Watching game film isn't going to give you the ability to put guys everywhere on the chessboard at the same time. What Kellen is calling is repeatable and expandable and the players are executing it really well.

coult44

Reaction score
The genius of Moore's offense is in the unpredictability of the play calling. He adapts the offense to what the defense is doing which is something we haven't seen in a long time.

If KM is a genius after one one game, we are all in for a big letdown

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore didn't get a free ride. What he got was execution. It is not the play calling that separates teams as much as the execution.

Now, he will be up against a better D in DC so the receivers shouldn't be as open; however, he needs the other side of the team to step up for him and not put him in must scores at an away game.

Points wise, he got the magic number, 17 at home, even though the D wasn't really that good. Against a better O, they would have struggled to keep it below 24. They would still win but they are not going to average 35 a game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The genius of Moore's offense is in the unpredictability of the play calling. He adapts the offense to what the defense is doing which is something we haven't seen in a long time.
Genius? I'd let a little more of this playout before the G word gets applied to an inexperienced OC. He was facing what will be a top 6 drafting team again come April and this Giants team is worse than last year's top 6 picker.

I wouldn't get too carried away until we see the team up against better competition.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Opposition coaches are going to have to do a better job disguising their defense and have the defensive play call change the play at the LOS when he thinks it's been sniffed out. I remember watching Luke Kuechly do that when Romo was making adjustments in his return game against the Panthers. And it had a devastating effect. That's not easy to do though because not every team has a Luke Kuechly, and I think Kellen will watch for predictable tendencies "The big hit" style with a play buster, buster.

But even then the offense was way too predictable at the moment. We all knew that Romo was going with Witten on that situation. If any defense would have watched the Cowboys then you'll notice that was a lingering pattern that happens all the time and that you can predict exactly where the ball was going to at that instance.

With Moore it's different. First, the defense can't automatically make a switch to go from a zone defense to a man to man. It's almost virtually impossible for any NFL to do that. Secondly, with all the weapons that the Cowboys have, where will the ball be going to?

With previous offenses that would have been the case. I don't think thats the case with Moore.

catiii

Reaction score
Remember this just the first but they ran with mid-season execution. Other words, while teams are figuring us out we're also getting better. Also a defensive a coor may know exactly what it takes to stop him but may not have all the right personnel or tools/players to stop him, slow him down maybe but not stop him. Look, when you see 3 WRs, HOF TE, league's rushing leaders playing behind top 5 OL with a QB known for running OC plays with precision.........that's a hell for any defensive coor to defend/worry about. Frankly ( I know it's early ) I don't think there's D out there can totally stop this offense w/o help of turnovers and/or penalties. Slowed it down, yes, but not stop it.......too many weapons.

Yes and ironically enough, we've had lots of weapons many times but unfortunately,
no HC/OC who knew how on earth to best utilize them!! Lots of wasted years IMO. :clap:

windjc

Reaction score
With all due respect, what is this nonsense?

Dallas won ONE game. There are 15 more to go. There will be highs and lows. Moore called a great game, but this isn't like the Patriots. We didn't win 6 championships in the last 16 years. We shouldn't be asking about how long this will last. Let's just wait and see what happens.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I meant it as if he can do pretty much what he wants right now. Its beautiful to watch.

Oh OK.

In that case, I don't think there is any reason to believe this team can't continue to impose their will on defenses. Honestly, there isn't a D in the league that can match up with this offe zs when it's playing well.

The real test will be when they do face a tough D and a little adversity, will they crumple and go back to the old boring predictable offense Garrett prefers.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Good thread. Its generally been my experience that teams catch up with schemes after 4 weeks or so. There is obviously a lot of variation with that. In this case, I get the impression we only saw part of the package on Sunday. Elliot is going to be a bigger factor going forward. Pollard was minimally used as a receiver and I could see him being an asset in the open field. Basically, I don't think Moore has shown his whole hand yet and that may make it harder

At the end of the day, defenses can't take *everything* away. In seasons past, the most effective defenses decided to take Dallas' run and short passing game away by playing tight man coverage with 8 men in the box. For whatever reason, NY didn't do that and they paid for it. It will be interesting to see how Dallas reacts when someone tries that on them now. Moore's motion and bunch formations will make it easy for a receiver to lose his man and if Dak finds them, it will be a loooong yardage play and start forcing teams out of that coverage scheme.

I love the chess game aspect of football. This season should be fun.

catiii

Reaction score
(Let's see how long as JG been here?) Ask me again in 9 years!! :grin::laugh:

CB61

Reaction score
About the first time there's any hint that something goes wrong he will be on the chopping block and Scott Linehan will be laughing

MaaS

Reaction score
A huge factor that is largely being overlooked is the amount of time that Dak had. He had all day to throw. Our oline is excellent - but there will be games where he's under heavy pressure. It'll be interesting to see how Moore's playcalling handles it.

Cebrin

Reaction score
"When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Given the talent he has I think Defense will have a hard time. Last season Cooper came in and made a big impact. This season Cooper is doing his thing but now we have Gallup who I believe is showing himself as improved, Cobb bringing another element to the slot that we really have not had and of course one of the best RB in the league who we barely used this past game. I think Moore is in a situation where he can go into a game and let the defense pick their own poison. I have not seen this from the Cowboys in a while talent wise. 90’s team was the same way, you want to focus on Emmitt we would kill teams with the pass and Irvin you focus on taking away the pass you had the NFL leading rusher to contend with.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They need to clean up their execution or they are going to become easy reads. The jet sweep cannot run through the QB for example and they need to run hard to really sell the fake and not let up.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
We have an awesome O line, 4-5 great receivers and the best running back in football. And a quarterback everyone loves and who thrives in this system. So no one has more weapons. Also a defense who I think will grow to be feared. So Moore has more to work with than any other coach in the game. And it seems this is what he was made to do. So I think in the same way he has a lot of movement and misdirection that he will have a similar amount of adjustment making ability.