How Long does Moore get a free ride?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend." - Bruce Lee
That's why I drink whiskey, whiskey stays whiskey.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
I cannot imagine this board on Sunday afternoon if the Cowboys and Dak have a mediocre to bad game. All hell will break loose.

jday

Reaction score
Sunday was fun. It was a long time coming. My main question is how much film does teams need to slow it down? Does our Cowboys have enough talent to keep changing and keep teams off balance or are we watching a one trick pony? I need some film guys for this one.

You really don't need a film guy for this...just a little critical thinking:

Consider Sean Lee for a moment. Sean Lee is great for alot of reasons, but by far the biggest is how much work he puts in on film. He studies film because come game time he wants to be able to look at the opposing offense lineup and quickly consult is inner-Rolodex for everything they run out of that particular line-up. Now watch this:

On that video you may have noticed on the plays Baldy focused on, the alignment changed several times. Now again, imagine you are Sean Lee watching all of that unfold. First alignment inside his head he is recalling everything they've ran from that alignment...wait..wait...they're moving someone, so what are they trying to do now? And then they move Jason Witten from being split out to putting in his hand on the ground, making it look like they're about to run.

The point is, so many changes happened that even if you are a guy who studies tape, by the time Dak settle's in and takes the snap, your head is spinning. In my mind, that's sustainable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no doubt Moore will catch grief at some point, this board is known for people knee jerk reactions. I know there were some lineup to attack Moore had the offense not look as shape it did. I know this based on reaction when Moore was hired to be OC.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore didn't get a free ride. What he got was execution. It is not the play calling that separates teams as much as the execution.

Now, he will be up against a better D in DC so the receivers shouldn't be as open; however, he needs the other side of the team to step up for him and not put him in must scores at an away game.

Points wise, he got the magic number, 17 at home, even though the D wasn't really that good. Against a better O, they would have struggled to keep it below 24. They would still win but they are not going to average 35 a game.

Thats actually JG's theory. If you execute, it doesn't matter what the other team is doing. It completely ignores the fact that its easier to execute against against a defense that doesn't know whats coming.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sunday was fun. It was a long time coming. My main question is how much film does teams need to slow it down? Does our Cowboys have enough talent to keep changing and keep teams off balance or are we watching a one trick pony? I need some film guys for this one.
Moore used motion and looks to hide the plays he was running. I find it extremely likely he'll have the sense to use different disguises as needed, rather than just waiting until opposing defenses figure them out, then continue using the same ones.

blueblood70

Reaction score
until a team takes away the pass and makes them run more until the run is very successful..PA only works well, rpos, fakes etc IF the Running game is successful Zekes a threat always but their will be teams that just say today we will take away the pass and lets see you run and hurt us with it, not 40 yards and punt.. be able to mix runs in and some passes.. it will also challenge Dak because if they are trying to take it away and people are covered up, lets see how he finds the right reads in that situation early and gets it to a guy in tight converge..

noone gets free pass but he will be able to be more creative until late in the season and then teams see or find tendencies..

the Rams were successful with PA because our D couldn't stop the run and they kept running until we over played it and then hit us with efficient timely passing.. thats doesnt work with the run game being successful..

Shane612

Reaction score
As long as they keep scoring 21+ points and go for over 400 yards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats actually JG's theory. If you execute, it doesn't matter what the other team is doing. It completely ignores the fact that its easier to execute against against a defense that doesn't know whats coming.
That was basically Landry’s philosophy . He always preached perfect execution wasn’t defensible. I think there’s much truth to it.

If a pattern is ran perfectly and the pass thrown perfectly it’s indefensible. It’s only when there’s imperfection that allows the defender a greater opportunity to defend.

Shane612

Reaction score
That was basically Landry’s philosophy . He always preached perfect execution wasn’t defensible. I think there’s much truth to it.

If a pattern is ran perfectly and the pass thrown perfectly it’s indefensible. It’s only when there’s imperfection that allows the defender a greater opportunity to defend.

Nah. It's like the chicken and the egg.
If you play perfect defense the offense won't score.... and vice versa.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think you literally just made that up. Every coach preaches execution. It is not unique to any coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you literally just made that up. Every coach preaches execution. It is not unique to any coach.
Of course not. It was widely known as a Landry schtick in all of his old shows of running the projector back in black and white reel to reel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The nice thing about what our offense is doing is that we are using the threat of Zeke to freeze the defense and open up the passing lanes.
If teams want to sit on the pass then Zeke will abuse them. With the exceptions of a team completely over powering our O Line and shutting down Zeke a with base defensive fronts and sitting on the pass I don't know if shutting us down is all that possible.

Having a balanced threat is huge.

We watched the Rams send our defense into paralysis in the playoffs with all the motion and play action threats.
We have the talent to apply even greater pressure on defenses if we execute.

Who knew that making the defense guess what play was coming would be an advantage?
Not Linehan. Not Garrett.

Competent coaching opens up a whole new world.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If it was that easy everybody would do it...

Not if they don't see the value to confusing the opponent, or understand how to do it. Coming in, the Kiffinelli philosophy was "we'll out execute you", otherwise known as "don't blame me, I'm not on the field".

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Oh OK.

In that case, I don't think there is any reason to believe this team can't continue to impose their will on defenses. Honestly, there isn't a D in the league that can match up with this offe zs when it's playing well.

The real test will be when they do face a tough D and a little adversity, will they crumple and go back to the old boring predictable offense Garrett prefers.
Week #1 KM= A+ lets keep up with it.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
If it was that easy everybody would do it...
True, BUT not everyone has the players to do so...and in the end, that is what most teams try to do anyways, but like I said you have to have the right players, and in today's NFL it is very tough to find players who are not all about me and mine stats and pro bowl appearance's.