How long until Belichick is considered the greatest ever?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Risen Star;4372688 said:
I mean, I'm not making it up. He failed and got fired in Cleveland. He went 5-11 his first year in New England. Started his 2nd year either 1-2 or 1-3 (not looking it up), then Bledsoe went down and gave way to Brady.

He's had the midas touch ever since.

That right there needs to be on a wikipedia page defining "cause and effect".

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Risen Star;4372688 said:
I mean, I'm not making it up. He failed and got fired in Cleveland. He went 5-11 his first year in New England. Started his 2nd year either 1-2 or 1-3 (not looking it up), then Bledsoe went down and gave way to Brady.

He's had the midas touch ever since.

If your going to give that credit to Brady than you have to crown him the greatest QB of all time.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Sixteen NFL teams (including us) have won a playoff game since the Patriots' last playoff win ALMOST FOUR YEARS AGO (Jan. 20, 2008).

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
No way kid......he hasn't done jack since being caught redhanded with his hand in the cookie jar.

But I did learn a new word.......thanks salt

Dmoore Esq

Reaction score
I don't really know how I feel about the topic. When I think "greatest coach of all-time", I'd assume it'd be someone who revolutionized the game or had a lasting impact on it. Bill Walsh changed how offense was played, and spawned a coaching tree that is still having an impact today. Belichick's tree hasn't. Unless he wins more super bowls or keeps up his high level of success for another decade or so, I just don't think we can say greatest ever.

Reaction score
He's already the greatest IMO. Phil Jackson of the NFL. Like Jackson people will try to diminish his accomplishments by saying he needed great players well guess what folks you need great players to win.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Just crown his *** then.

061017_dennis_green.jpg

rkell87

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4372607 said:
Now I know many of you will go crazy praising Landry but Belichick's accomplishments are becoming undeniable, he he continually built good teams for over a decade now. He has replaced great players time and time again with ease with the prowess in the draft room. He has shown on the field that he is unparalleled and he has shown that he can replace a key player, no matter who they are, without trouble.

I truly believe that it is just a matter of a few years until he is unanimously viewed as the greatest coach of all time. So when does he officially become the greatest coach of all time in the minds of fans? or if he even will. He's already top 3 and if you try to deny that you really are just being ignorant.

Cowboys&LakersFan;4372733 said:
He's already the greatest IMO. Phil Jackson of the NFL. Like Jackson people will try to diminish his accomplishments by saying he needed great players well guess what folks you need great players to win.
no surprise the youngest posters here are in agreement

and lol at R2A calling anyone ignorant

revospeed

Reaction score
M'Kevon;4372660 said:
Spoken like someone who's NFL knowledge started in 2000.

Do any of these names ring a bell:

Paul Brown
Don Shula
Chuck Noll
Curly Lambeau
George Halas
Bill Walsh
Vince Lombardi

He's not close to the accomplishments of anyone listed above. And I left out quite a few others, such as Landry, Madden, Gillman and Allen, whom I would also put above Belichick.

Top ten, maybe, but doubtful.

Top five, laughable.

Greatest of all time???? Put the pipe down.

Curly Lambeau? Really? I mean, unless you're the only person in the rest home to have wifi, you've never seen him coach a game. Same goes for the others on your list. You can't compare Belichick coaching professional athletes (and working 24 hours a day) to Curly Lambeau coaching part time players.

But to put Sid Gillman, John Madden and George Allen above Belichick is laughable. Just because they coached a long time ago and Belichick coaches now, doesn't mean they're automatically better. Belichick has more Super Bowl wins as a head coach than all of them combined, plus two as an assistant. He's one of the best of all time. Put down the haterade.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
revospeed;4372766 said:
Curly Lambeau? Really? I mean, unless you're the only person in the rest home to have wifi, you've never seen him coach a game. Same goes for the others on your list. You can't compare Belichick coaching professional athletes (and working 24 hours a day) to Curly Lambeau coaching part time players.

But to put Sid Gillman, John Madden and George Allen above Belichick is laughable. Just because they coached a long time ago and Belichick coaches now, doesn't mean they're automatically better. Belichick has more Super Bowl wins as a head coach than all of them combined, plus two as an assistant. He's one of the best of all time. Put down the haterade.

He learned from a man that cheated the rules of the NFL, and then he refined it to his best advantage. He's low on any list.

Illini88228

Reaction score
I always think trying to come up with absolute rankings is a little silly. He's a top tier head coach, but to try to definitively rank Belichick vs. Lombardi vs. Landry vs. Shula vs. Parcells vs. Brown etc. is pointless. They coached at different times with different players under different circumstances. Any ranking is totally subjective.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Risen Star;4372653 said:
Or until he wins something without Tom Brady as his QB.

Failure in Cleveland. Started awful in New England. Then SONY CAMCORDERS arrived and he turned into the GOAT.

I've edited your post appropriately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

I've never had much success with embedding you tube videos where did that button go?

rathalarge

Reaction score
Now I know many of you will go crazy praising Landry but Belichick's accomplishments are becoming undeniable, he he continually built good teams for over a decade now. He has replaced great players time and time again with ease with the prowess in the draft room. He has shown on the field that he is unparalleled and he has shown that he can replace a key player, no matter who they are, without trouble.

I truly believe that it is just a matter of a few years until he is unanimously viewed as the greatest coach of all time. So when does he officially become the greatest coach of all time in the minds of fans? or if he even will. He's already top 3 and if you try to deny that you really are just being ignorant.
NEVER!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Well the OP said we should sing the praises of Tom Landry lets do a comparison

other can add to this

So let see this is what Tom Landry did

He invented the now popular 4-3 defense, and the "flex defense" system made famous by the "Doomsday Defense" squads he created during his 29 year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. Landry won two Super Bowl titles (VI, XII), 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, and compiled a 270-178-6 record, the 3rd most wins of all time for an NFL coach. His 20 career playoff victories are the most of any coach in NFL history. He was named the NFL Coach of the Year in 1966 and the NFC Coach of the Year in 1975. His most impressive professional accomplishment is his 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966–1985), an NFL record that remains unbroken and unchallenged. It remains one of the longest winning streaks in all of professional sports history.

Bill Belichick

Belichick got his first head coaching job with the Cleveland Browns in 1991. Of his five seasons coaching Cleveland, only one featured a winning record, and Belichick did not serve as head coach again until 2000 with the Patriots. Since then, Belichick has coached the Patriots to four Super Bowl appearances: victories in Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX, and a loss in Super Bowl XLII.
The Patriots went 5-11 in the 2000 regular season and missed the playoffs. To date, this is Belichick's only losing season with the Patriots.
In an incident dubbed "Spygate,"[15] on September 9, 2007, NFL security caught a Patriots video assistant taping the New York Jets' defensive signals from an on-field location. Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former Patriots assistant, tipped off league officials that the Patriots might have been filming their signals. After the game, the Jets formally complained to the league.
On September 13, the NFL fined Belichick $500,000—the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 87-year history,[16] and fined the Patriots $250,000. Additionally, the Patriots forfeited their first round draft pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Goodell said that he fined the Patriots as a team because Belichick exercises so much control over the Patriots' on-field operations that "his actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club." Goodell considered suspending Belichick, but decided that taking away draft picks would be more severe in the long run.[17]
Belichick later issued the following statement:
"I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career. [...] As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress. [...] Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect. [...] With tonight's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game."

Overall record in New England

Under Belichick, the Patriots have gone 139–53-0 in 12 regular seasons. The team also sports a 14-5 record in the playoffs, and 3–1 in Super Bowls. They have won eight division titles, including five consecutive titles from 2003 to 2007 (and only missed the playoffs on tiebreakers in 2002 and 2008). The Patriots have also defeated each regular season MVP they have faced in that year's playoffs (Kurt Warner in Super Bowl XXXVI, Peyton Manning and Steve McNair after the 2003 season, Manning in 2004, LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006).

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He's really done it with 1 Quarterback who wound up being one of the all-time greats and needed cameras to do it.

He's actually an embarrassment to the game because he damaged the integrity of the game.

Tom Landry didn't do that. Neither did Lombardi or Walsh or Gibbs or Parcells or Noll.

There's things I wish the Cowboys would do as an organization that the Patriots do, but that doesn't mean that Belichick is the greatest coach of all-time. And if it weren't for Tom Brady, this Pats team would probably be 6-10 or 7-9, if they were lucky.

Landry and Walsh were FAR more innovative and had an entirely bigger influence on the NFL as well. Even from an organizational perspective, Belichick just took what the Cowboys did in the dynasty years.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think he is and will be looked at as one of the best coaches to walk the sidelines but a few others I would say the same thing about. Greastest Ever? I put him with them not above them

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not really trying to discredit Belichick. He's clearly a great coach. But when you want to claim he's the best of all time, and compare him with legends, I think you need to factor in the fact he only was great with Brady.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4372706 said:
If your going to give that credit to Brady than you have to crown him the greatest QB of all time.

I think he is.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Risen Star;4372946 said:
I'm not really trying to discredit Belichick. He's clearly a great coach. But when you want to claim he's the best of all time, and compare him with legends, I think you need to factor in the fact he only was great with Brady.

Im sure any coach that is considered the best of all time probably had a HOF QB at some point.