How many games will we realistically give this team before panic sets in?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak will have to compete in shoot outs this season. Wilson and likely Ryan will SHRED this secondary

If Collins and Tyron are both out Dak will be in survival mode. Ryan will likely have time to do whatever he wants since our highly-paid DE forgot how to rush the passer.

Seattle is going to be a long flight back to DFW.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think we beat an Atlanta team that will end up being a bottom 10-12 team by the end of the season but that will ease minds temporarily. If we beat Seattle all will be forgotten about Week 1, if we lose we’ll hear the usual complaining.

After that is when I think the Kool Aid will start flowing again. Similar to last years first 3 games where everyone got over excited after we beat bad teams but claimed because we beat them handily and looked good doing that that it was “different this time”...we’ll beat Cleveland, NY, Washington, Philthy and Arizona before we play Pitt. Those wins will have this fan base hyping this team like no other and all will be right with world again before we play Minn, Pitt and Baltimore with a few scrub teams thrown in to keep everyone happy.

No matter what I think we make the playoffs, we could go 9-7 and win this crap division, maybe even 8-8.

After seeing Washington's pass rush vs Philly the Cowboys better have Collins and Tyron back or that one could head to the "L" column, too.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How many games will we realistically give this team before the actual real panic and depression kicks in and we know we aint doing anything this year or actual excitement kicks in and we know we are a contender.

Obviously there is a lot on knee jerk reactions because we lost a game. The first game of the season. Against what will likely be a winning team this year. They have been in the same system for 4 years now. And they have donald, arguably the best DT in the league.

We were in it till the end and a 4th down decision or a missed kick cost us a tie or win.

Then look at the refs. They gave the rams 4 points. Giving them a TO when the clock had been at 0 for 2 seconds. And the very ticky tack call at the end. I bet the refs looked at this play the next day and said o well we blew one. They did miss a shot to the head on Aldon when goff threw the pick, but I think it was donald that also caught Dak to the helmet. Both were not intentional so I was under the impression the refs were letting them play. Guess not.

Anyways, it was our first game and we didn’t get it done but didn’t play as bad as we are making it out.

I am giving it 5-7 games before I start to judge us a losing team. At some point we will take on the mindset and attitude of the HC. We will get more aggressive. You can tell by his decision to go for it on 4th in a situation where we play for the tie or the win.

This game should tell us a lot. I expect us to play tighter on both sides of the ball. The first game was like a preseason game. We should be able to pick up the tempo.

I expect to see some different things on Offense this week. If Moore is going to keep calling games like this then I expect MM to take over soon. Time to slowly put in some pre snap motion. Moore has to change his hand signals because he was using the same ones from college.

Defense should get this run Defense shored up. And have our DBs playing tighter. Get teams in longer down and distance so we can use our pass rush.

We have fixable problems. I worry more about TE on Offense and O-Line. Defense just needs to tighten up.

Based on the injuries, its already panic time. We do NOT have fixable problems with the defense. Absolutely NOTHING you can do about the injuries and the guys that sucked already. The secondary hasn't even been exposed yet, just wait for that. Over the next two games against the Falcons and Seattle it will definitely happen.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
How many games will we realistically give this team before the actual real panic and depression kicks in and we know we aint doing anything this year or actual excitement kicks in and we know we are a contender.

Obviously there is a lot on knee jerk reactions because we lost a game. The first game of the season. Against what will likely be a winning team this year. They have been in the same system for 4 years now. And they have donald, arguably the best DT in the league.

We were in it till the end and a 4th down decision or a missed kick cost us a tie or win.

Then look at the refs. They gave the rams 4 points. Giving them a TO when the clock had been at 0 for 2 seconds. And the very ticky tack call at the end. I bet the refs looked at this play the next day and said o well we blew one. They did miss a shot to the head on Aldon when goff threw the pick, but I think it was donald that also caught Dak to the helmet. Both were not intentional so I was under the impression the refs were letting them play. Guess not.

Anyways, it was our first game and we didn’t get it done but didn’t play as bad as we are making it out.

I am giving it 5-7 games before I start to judge us a losing team. At some point we will take on the mindset and attitude of the HC. We will get more aggressive. You can tell by his decision to go for it on 4th in a situation where we play for the tie or the win.

This game should tell us a lot. I expect us to play tighter on both sides of the ball. The first game was like a preseason game. We should be able to pick up the tempo.

I expect to see some different things on Offense this week. If Moore is going to keep calling games like this then I expect MM to take over soon. Time to slowly put in some pre snap motion. Moore has to change his hand signals because he was using the same ones from college.

Defense should get this run Defense shored up. And have our DBs playing tighter. Get teams in longer down and distance so we can use our pass rush.

We have fixable problems. I worry more about TE on Offense and O-Line. Defense just needs to tighten up.
I am going to answer your thread title..

not so much your overview.

I have already come to the opinion of this is a transition year.

Not a competing year.

Our HC was dealt a death blow when the virus appeared. No actual practices all off season, no chance for new coaches to work with their players, etc.

So now I will just look for improved play. And see what the coaches do in live games.

Unfortunately all 3 phases of offense, defense and STs has been been redesigned. Normally you might rebuild one of these phases at a time.

But 3 of them?

I just have my doubts.

Bottom line must know is if Dak is really our future at QB. Without putting this to bed..everything else is in limbo. We can not let that hang over our head this off season.

It was too distracting. So all eyes on the offense and then we make whatever other changes we need.

Depending on our W-L record we use it to fix our biggest need.

Could be QB, LBer, safety or OL. That's a big shopping list and may take a couple of seasons of drafting high meaning we need to probably go 3-13 or worst in 2020 and 2021.

Finishing again at 8-8 or somewhere in the middle is going to just lengthen our rebuilding.

Big Mike has a 5 year contract. He has time to work a master plan. I expect this year to be just the first one on his game plan.

There is no doubt in my mind that McCarthy knew fully what he was being hired to be.

Last edited:

catiii

Reaction score
That is why I said they were crazy, sometimes they play real good, and other times real bad.
So it just depends on which browns team dallas gets.
We'll get the Super Bowl Browns of course!!

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

New system, new coaches, key injuries, and new players - 6 games.

catiii

Reaction score
There is no new system lol, thats the problem!!
every team has some new players, and also injuries. Good coaches overcome those
We got the only Super Bowl winning coach in the league who refuses the gimme FG in the 4th Q to tie the game and is directly responsible for going 0-1 because of it. You're right. Nothing has changed. As a result of that poor judgement call, I am panicked NOW. He didn't put the team in a position to win. New boss same as the old boss IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Panic?

I'n not going to panic about win/loss record in the 1st season with a new coaching staff and no off-season.

The offensive game plan is going to be limited with a rookie udfa RT and less than 100% LT.

The key is to make limited changes to the game plan and see what works then keep adjusting each week.

In the Garrett era they just didn't have a plan of continuous adjustment.

Silverstar

Reaction score
We do have a gauntlet to start the season. Lots of good offenses and playmakers. It’s time for our offense to run with the big boys until, if ever, our defense gets there feet wet.

Very true...this team doesn't have time to gel with McCarthy and Nolan's coaching style. They need to find ways to win these early games or this could get ugly fast. Ryan and Wilson look to be in midseason form and Mayfield and the Browns are coming together. The Browns are NOT going to be a cakewalk. Cowboys need to be way more aggressive on offense...they need to bring it!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m already panicking due to injuries. Hard to win games without at least decent OL play when your defense isn’t very good. They are not paid like it, but without LBs, good luck stopping anything. We will likely have to blitz a lot, which means giving up some huge plays.