How many games will we realistically give this team before panic sets in?

glimmerman

Reaction score
They were the fastest offense in the league week 1 just over 20 seconds per play. The tempo was fine. I was surprised myself especially watching Garrett’s Oregon style attack after Monday but the reality was Cowboys we’re consistently at about an 8 on the speed meter and while Garrett went to a 10 when they were rolling, they also had to back it down to a 3 or 4 after bad plays which kept happening once Pitt figured it out.
Maybe try some pre snap motion to help Dak and the O-Lineread the defense. We have time left in the clock, anything different then what we are seeing. Maybe this week we will start trying new things.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
We need to beat these tough teams. We have the talent but playing the same system as we have for years puts us in a whole to start. We need to be less predictable. That’s the stuff that makes you lose close games. They already know what we are going to do. I am hoping that last week was just a evaluation game for the staff. So maybe this week we will start to see more new stuff..
Stephen made a good point that no one has taken the time to verify (not saying it’s true or not true) but if you went play by play do you know that it’s not new stuff? People are judging the plays based off if they used exotic motions or new formations. Since no one saw those and they didn’t have 80 yard bombs or 10 sacks, people assume it’s the same.

The blocking and route concepts could be very different and defensively, the way the DL is attacking we know is from a 1-gap to a 2-gap. I’m sure there are coverage differences also. There are changes that basic fans and media just don’t know enough about myself included. If it doesn’t involve what the QB does, via bootleg or calling a bunch of shifts, we really don’t know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm not into creating expectations when a new staff is struggling to overcome the problems that they've inherited from the old one. I'm intent upon using this season as one to experience what changes will be needful to address in the next offseason. The constant adjustments and changes are something that will take a complete season to determine what must be done to proceed with the business of becoming a contender. Just my two cents.
Good post. I am hoping that with the talent we have now MM can evaluate and make changes and adjustments while being a contender..

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Maybe try some pre snap motion to help Dak and the O-Lineread the defense. We have time left in the clock, anything different then what we are seeing. Maybe this week we will start trying new things.
But then you can’t play as fast. So you can’t have it both ways of wanting all this motion (which defenses eventually figure out how to disguise their tells anyway) and play with a fast tempo. Taking more time to set up the play will slow you down.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Good post. I am hoping that with the talent we have now MM can evaluate and make changes and adjustments while being a contender..

That's a noble idea. Whether it develops into a workable one is yet to be determined. Let's allow effort and fate to set our course! ;)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Stephen made a good point that no one has taken the time to verify (not saying it’s true or not true) but if you went play by play do you know that it’s not new stuff? People are judging the plays based off if they used exotic motions or new formations. Since no one saw those and they didn’t have 80 yard bombs or 10 sacks, people assume it’s the same.

The blocking and route concepts could be very different and defensively, the way the DL is attacking we know is from a 1-gap to a 2-gap. I’m sure there are coverage differences also. There are changes that basic fans and media just don’t know enough about myself included. If it doesn’t involve what the QB does, via bootleg or calling a bunch of shifts, we really don’t know.
The playcalling seemed to be the same but we have the same play caller so I guess it makes sense. I expect us to get better every week. Especially on Defense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
But then you can’t play as fast. So you can’t have it both ways of wanting all this motion (which defenses eventually figure out how to disguise their tells anyway) and play with a fast tempo. Taking more time to set up the play will slow you down.
If your winning, use motion and do what Romo used to do and snap with 1 or 2 seconds. Control and eat the clock up. And I agree about them figuring out the motion. Moore uses the same hand signals as he did in college. Already got busted. Lol.

But when we are losing I like the up tempo and show some urgency. I guess I just expected because we kept everything in hiding during camps and blue and white scrimmage that it was going to be different.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Like yourself, I'm always hoping for the best while waiting to see what's realistically possible within reasonable bounds. I hope we're able to achieve the success we so crave as soon as it's humanly possible. At the same time, I'm willing to accept whatever this staff manages to grant in the extremely difficult circumstances they'll be forced to deal with this year. My hopes and expectations are modest ones, in view of having a new staff in a pandemic scenario.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many games will we realistically give this team before the actual real panic and depression kicks in and we know we aint doing anything this year or actual excitement kicks in and we know we are a contender.

Obviously there is a lot on knee jerk reactions because we lost a game. The first game of the season. Against what will likely be a winning team this year. They have been in the same system for 4 years now. And they have donald, arguably the best DT in the league.

We were in it till the end and a 4th down decision or a missed kick cost us a tie or win.

Then look at the refs. They gave the rams 4 points. Giving them a TO when the clock had been at 0 for 2 seconds. And the very ticky tack call at the end. I bet the refs looked at this play the next day and said o well we blew one. They did miss a shot to the head on Aldon when goff threw the pick, but I think it was donald that also caught Dak to the helmet. Both were not intentional so I was under the impression the refs were letting them play. Guess not.

Anyways, it was our first game and we didn’t get it done but didn’t play as bad as we are making it out.

I am giving it 5-7 games before I start to judge us a losing team. At some point we will take on the mindset and attitude of the HC. We will get more aggressive. You can tell by his decision to go for it on 4th in a situation where we play for the tie or the win.

This game should tell us a lot. I expect us to play tighter on both sides of the ball. The first game was like a preseason game. We should be able to pick up the tempo.

I expect to see some different things on Offense this week. If Moore is going to keep calling games like this then I expect MM to take over soon. Time to slowly put in some pre snap motion. Moore has to change his hand signals because he was using the same ones from college.

Defense should get this run Defense shored up. And have our DBs playing tighter. Get teams in longer down and distance so we can use our pass rush.

We have fixable problems. I worry more about TE on Offense and O-Line. Defense just needs to tighten up.

Snap out of it ......this team is at best an 8-8 and that's on the upside.
You got a Def without LB and DB who are raw and young.
You have injuries that we don't have a decent bench to overcome.
And the cherry on the cake is a QB who needs perfection around him to score maybe 20 points.
Now back to dreamland for some of you.......for you down to Earth folks....Patience is required as there is still plenty of road till we march towards a SB.

pansophy

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that the defense isn't taking us anywhere this year, and the OL may be a mess all year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Offense is sloppy, defense stinks, and the coaching decisions are moronic.

No need to panic because there's no reason to have high expectations.

Ren

Reaction score
I’m getting to old to panic, I expect a let down every year at this point

Stephen

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel like I need to be compensated by Jerry Jones to continue being a fan of this team. Or im going to need hand-writtem apologies from every player on the team

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
tenor.gif