How Many of Y'all would take Sean Payton Over Wade Phillips as Cowboys Head Coach?

superpunk

Reaction score
FWIW, Saints fans are incredibly unhappy with Payton's playcalling right now. Here are a few examples from Saints fans, from a thread entitled "Payton Loses Another One"

Our offense isnt broke, just some awful calls from Payton when we need something for 2 yards.
But minus Sean Payton's girl scout play-calling, we were right in both games with a chance to win.
I know Grammatica is gonna get the blame for the loss, but going back to the Commanders game, I think this loss falls on Payton. In the Commanders game, we had a 3rd and one situation that we tried to run on late in the game, couldn't convert, Skins get the ball back and win. In this game, we have a 1st and goal from the one, we run 4 straight times, can't get in, yet we are throwing the ball all over Denver. So here we go again, important 3rd and 1, we are in FG range, 500 yards of offense, 90% of it throwing, and what does Payton do? He runs again, we get stopped, the FG is missed, ballgame. Ever since that Tampa game last year where he gambled on the reverse late in the game, the ball was fumbled due to a bad decision by Reggie and the Bucs win, Sean has been uber conservative in these situations, and it has now cost us two games. Yeah, we have plenty of heavy contributors injured, but we still could have won both of those games if not for these foolish 3rd and one give up attempts. And why have Deuce active if you won't use him? Two losses fall directly on Sean's play calls IMO.
Hopefully once we get some of our studs back from injury they will be able to make Sean's girlie play calls successful, and we'll beat the Bucs again on the way to the division title. :)
And then after Monday's game

I feel awful for Bush and Brees. *** is wrong with Payton?
Deuce is moving the pile and with 2:13 he runs two passing plays?

Everyone in the dome audibly groaned when we lined up in the shotgun on that second and 8 instead of running Deuce and getting to the two minute warning.

You decide.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2318099 said:
talk all you want to about the Saints just remember Drew BRees is putting up massive numbers w.o. Colston......

Jeremy Shockey is injured too.

Boysboy

Reaction score
superpunk;2318250 said:
FWIW, Saints fans are incredibly unhappy with Payton's playcalling right now. Here are a few examples from Saints fans, from a thread entitled "Payton Loses Another One"

Those "Saints fans" didn't even watch the game. IF the Saints had a halfway decent kicker, they win by double digits(on that blocked FG that was returned for a score, Gramatic got NOT leverage).

BTW-the Saints have NO run game, which limits the playbook to begin with.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade is a much better coach, even with his soft-zone....

superpunk

Reaction score
Boysboy;2318340 said:
Those "Saints fans" didn't even watch the game. IF the Saints had a halfway decent kicker, they win by double digits(on that blocked FG that was returned for a score, Gramatic got NOT leverage).

BTW-the Saints have NO run game, which limits the playbook to begin with.
They cited specific examples. There were also some from last season where instead of doing the smart thing, Payton went "outside the box" and didn't put his team in the best position to win.

He's probably a very good coach.

But Saints fans are just as disillusioned with him as Cowboys fans are with Wade, and were before Wade with Bill. It's a function of a lazy and simple mind - when things aren't going perfect find one person you can place the blame on. People did it with Bill because they did not like him, and viewed his methods as outdated. People are now doing it with Wade because they do not like him, and view his methods as soft.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You can't repair stupidity.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Since that division title the Saints are on the fast track to nowhere.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2318378 said:
Since that division title the Saints are on the fast track to nowhere.

In the history of the Saints franchise, for every good-great year they have, they'll stink it up for another 6-7 years. Before the Saints made that run in Payton's 1st year in '06, the LAST time they made the playoffs was in '00.

Payton is a very good coach, but that franchise is cursed.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The Saints were a .500 team under Haslett, as long as McAllister was healthy.

Add Brees and Bush (and Payton) and they improved by two games in 2006. Since then, they're 9-12.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
percyhoward;2318427 said:
The Saints were a .500 team under Haslett, as long as McAllister was healthy.

Add Brees and Bush (and Payton) and they improved by two games in 2006. Since then, they're 9-12.

And WP is 17-4 as Dallas' head coach, ... let's get rid of him. :rolleyes:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ummmm...no. Not in a million years. Not with green eggs and ham. Just no. I'll take Wade over Payton every day of the week and fifteen times on Sundays.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh, Sean Payton, obviously. He's young, he's not fat yet, and he wears a visor so he can rip it off and show everyone how emotional he is.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would take Payton in a heartbeat.

That said, I think that Jason Garrett has the same kind of potential.

Alexander

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2318462 said:
And WP is 17-4 as Dallas' head coach, ... let's get rid of him. :rolleyes:

He has never won a playoff game. 0-2 with us and he should most certainly hit the road. I don't care how gaudy the regular season records are.

Alexander

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2318051 said:
Even if Payton was available I'd still keep Wade over him. Payton won't win you a Superbowl anymore than Wade would

If Phillips had even a single playoff game victory you could attempt to make this point.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Alexander;2318783 said:
He has never won a playoff game. 0-2 with us and he should most certainly hit the road. I don't care how gaudy the regular season records are.

I think it's actually 0-1, ... hardly a measuring stick to hold someone to.

Parcells was 0-2, maybe that's who you were thinking about.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Alexander;2318788 said:
If Phillips had even a single playoff game victory you could attempt to make this point.

He can thank Ralph Wilson for that-it was WILSON who pressured Phillips into starting Rob Johnson in that playoff game. Otherwise, they would have rolled over Tennessee, Indy the next week, and likely would have played the Rams in that Super Bowl. And I think they DO beat the Rams.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2318896 said:
I think it's actually 0-1, ... hardly a measuring stick to hold someone to.

Parcells was 0-2, maybe that's who you were thinking about.

What he meant was IF we go one and done yet again in the playoffs, that would make him 0-2, and yes, he would be hitting the road from there.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That is a purely rhetorical question because Jason Garrett is destined to become the next head coach. My best guess would be next year if Wade cannot get to and win the Super Bowl.

But in a world without Jason Garrett, Sean over Wade in a heartbeat.