How many of you would take less?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Sorry but you can't base this on common people when talking about a $33M/year contract with $105M guaranteed not including endorsement deals. Therefore, if winning means Dak takes a few million less then I guess that is what is important to him but if it's just the money he will hold out for the most he can get.
I'm a cheap *****.
Lol. Soiled Dove.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I do take less. I work at a non-profit. Other things factor in—proximity to home, being able to be with my kids, autonomy at work, etc. In sum, I take a little less to be in a good situation.

Applying to Dak, personally I’d take less to play in Dallas than to make more by playing in Washington. Each person has to decide what is important as far as the overall package, though. I know plenty of people who have sold their soul, so to speak, to make more.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
That's how they feel when it's money time, I don't know how they feel during the season. I am sure there are quite a few that never lost the boy's love of the sport. But it is a business, first and foremost, more than ever.

The part I do not like are the concessions the owners make about practice, that stinks. They all complain about the health part of the game and these players today are like china dolls compared to the players back in the day. These guys have year round training and it's ridiculous to look at the injury reports.

Today's game, the players are bigger, faster and stronger but not any better. They're not as good as the players in the 60's and 70's that used camp to get in playing shape. I used to look forward to Landry's List. Those were the guys that reported overweight and it was lengthy and they would have fines set up if they didn't hit the target weight and starters wanted to play preseason games to sweat out 10-15 lbs.

I got to go in the Chicago Bears locker room back in the 70's, off season, and if I had been a player on that team, I couldn't have waited to hit the field, what a dreary dump. Now they need game systems and the right tunes. The old Cowboys locker room at TS was a 5 star hotel compared to the Bears. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Give them buckets of more money, a joke of a workload compared to back in the day in the 70's , year round training and what do you get? A game not as good or as well played as back in the 70's because those faster and stronger players of today are not as good and sure as hell not as tough.
yep, bigger stronger leads to more injuries. It's the natural progression to human nature. These kids are "Way" more entitled than our generation even dared to be.

social media has connected them and its just not what it use to be. Jack Youngblood, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Reggie White, Darrin Woodson, Ronnie Lott. Deacon Jones, Mean "Joe" Green. Those type players you will never see again. it was a an extreme honor to have seen them play.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Probably a different situation if you're an athlete who has made tons of money vs one getting their first big contract. For some its probably a pride thing. If you had a peer doing the same job as you, but you were getting paid less even though you're just as good, many would feel they deserve more. If your boss then told you why he wasn't wanting to pay you more is because it would mean losing Tina in accounting who takes work off of everyone's shoulders it would take the ultimate team player to make that sacrafice.

Me personally if it meant less stress/work there's probably a dollar threshold where taking on more stress isn't worth it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In your post you were making excuses for young NFL players who blow through their millions. I just disagreed. Again, you blow millions, it’s on you.
Maybe you are getting me confused with another poster. I wasn’t making excuses or defending NFL players going through millions. My stance was it happens and it’s easy to do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would bet my humble home that no agent has ever used " I have to protect my client from his irresponsibility" as a negotiating tactic. You dreamed up a justification (agent/player, not yours) that just doesn't fly. Agents always go after top dollar whether they are negotiating for the most irresponsible player or Warren Buffet.

In the particular case that is most important to us, the extra is significantly more than a "few" million.
I used agent as a example. When you start a business it costs money. When you have family on payroll it costs money. When you live above your means it costs money.

Taking a pay cut is useless.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.

Honestly, if you don't know the value of being on the Cowboys it really is not worth a discussion. His marketability doubles being on the Cowboys at least depending on the other team he would choose. If he really has 50 million in endorsement, he can credit at least half of that to being on the Cowboys. So yes, I would take less!

conner01

Reaction score
Wrong. Tyron Smith did
He took a loner term deal but it was for market value at the time and it was common at the time to take long term deals
The thing I respect most with him is he has played out and not ask for a new deal
He also was helped by the team with his issues with his family

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not with salary cap management at anywhere near a professional level. Dak would make more money outside of football with a Super Bowl ring on his finger than he would getting 3 mill a year with multiple 9-7 seasons. Taking less to help the team as QB is more profitable than contract cash alone.
Guarantees in a contract are, well, guaranteed. A Super Bowl win is not, no matter how team friendly the deal is a player is willing to sign. Accordingly, it's not certain that taking less would be more profitable. Plus, I doubt Dak believes he is condemned to repeated 9-7 seasons by signing a contract that he feels is reasonable under current market conditions.

SSoup

Reaction score
If I played for a competent team who would spend the money I saved them on quality talent in a smart way, I'd consider taking less.

If I played for a team who, in this day and age, is burning top 5 picks and insane money on the RB position? Or spending 1st rounders and numerous 2nd rounders and big extensions on 4-3 linebackers? Yeah, no, I'm gonna use my leverage to get every penny out of my trashbag organization that I can. Worst case scenario is I push too hard and I get to go play for a team who isn't a joke. Not too shabby.

lockster

Reaction score
He took a loner term deal but it was for market value at the time and it was common at the time to take long term deals
The thing I respect most with him is he has played out and not ask for a new deal
He also was helped by the team with his issues with his family
The deal he took he knew was going to cost him millions over the life of the contract. This was known by both sides and stated. He took one for the team in terms of giving up some salary.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Me, for sure.
100% for sure IF it was the place I wanted to be.
No doubt

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’ll repeat this again. HES NOT TAKING A PAYCUT! He’s getting offered unworldly wealth for not being a Top 5 guy with much playoff street cred. We need to keep him snd I love the guys intangibles but a pay cut would be below his value. $105 mil guaranteed is not a paycut by any stretch of contracts

conner01

Reaction score
The deal he took he knew was going to cost him millions over the life of the contract. This was known by both sides and stated. He took one for the team in terms of giving up some salary.
The deal he took was 97 mil
The largest contract at his position still today
It was structured team friendly but it also is structured that if he can physically play it out he will actually get the money and most contracts today really aren’t

Last edited:

lockster

Reaction score
The deal he took was 97 mil
The largest contract at his position still today
I don't think so, number one , per year. Number two, ith could have gotten way more not just from us but even way more from other teams. Just looked it up, Tyson is at 12 th on the list per year , making 2.5 less than lewan, and not far above the 16 th highest. He could easily be making more. Easily. He's making 12/ year AVG. Zack makes way more than Smith lol

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
I appreciate the position I'm in with my job. If they offer me more I'd take it. If they offer me an amount though more than my worth I'm not going to say "no, I want more".

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Not in Dallas! They just take away from the defense. LOL

Yup, agreed. Problem is, some people just can't understand the damage overpaying a few players does to the rest of the team when you're restricted by a salary cap like the one we have.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
While I support Dak wanting to be paid, he has not EARNED anything close to elite level money. The Cowboys didn't win anything of importance with Dak at the helm yet.
But him wanting to get paid a good rate for QB's right now? No problem with that. I strongly suspect it's more about contract length and guaranteed money than the amount per year. I don't blame him for wanting a shorter contract than what they want to give him either.

Whaddya mean we didn't win anything of importance yet, we went 8-8 didn't we???? :laugh: