How many of you would take less?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yeah, their arguments really don't make any sense. If you can't take care of your family on 30 million, then your certainly too dumb to take care of them for any amount.

Yeah, but I guess the price of diapers is going up though...….:muttley:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So somehow making more money would hurt your happiness?

It would if it meant that the OL that protects you seriously deteriorates.
That's what happens when the QB takes too big a piece of the pie......the rest of the team gets the crumbs, including the OL.

Last edited:

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Regardless, your employer of course needs to take the budget into consideration. NFL has a cap so they have limitations. Only goes to show you the amount of faith the FO has in Dak. I think that’s the biggest question, do they really think Dak is worth the money he is asking?
You know this front office overvalues most of its players, so they will throw the checkbook at Dak at this point

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would, 100%. If I’m making $30+M/year, at some point being in a good situation and enjoying my playing career is a lot more important than making 10% more.

Now, if I’m Jarwin, maximizing my earning potential would mean a lot more. That’s a very different situation.

starcity214

Reaction score
This thread is dumb.

In the NFL, there is a salary cap.

Do you guys honestly think Dak is good enough to overcome a bad defense?

If players like Rodgers and Marino weren't good enough, what makes you think Dak is? What have you seen from him that makes you think Dak is better than those two legendary QBs?

Let's play along with the "pay da man" crowd..

Let's just say Dak gets his 35m plus contract..

By default, you have to franchise Amari..

Then what?

Who are you going to blame when we lose 28 to 35 in a game?

The defense? So let me get this straight ..
You expect guys like Brown and Jeff Heath to be Pro Bowlers and win games for us? And not the guy who demanded 35M a year?

Is Dak a guy that can "win" Shootouts?
He better be for the type of money he wants.

Who's fault is it going to be when we lose shootouts? I want Dak's employees on here to answer the question.

Keep in mind, after Dak and Amari, over 75 percent of our cap space will be used on offense, so I don't want to hear people blaming the defense.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Tom brady, multiple times.

Actually look at recent history and most QBs are winning titles before they get the massive payday. Mahomes, brady at a discount, flacco, Foles, roethlisberger won early in his career, peyton manning's last super bowl came after he had neck surgery, Russell Wilson hasn't been back since theyve had to deplete that defense, Roger's hasn't been back in recent years.

There are exceptions but its complete teams, not just QBs that are winning titles.

what did the Pats do with that money? I’m assuming you’re referring to Brady’s first non-rookie contract?

did the Pats go out and pay abrady’s number one receiver?

Again, just saying Brady took less $$$ = Super Bowl is a gross simplification and honestly, isn’t supportable

Kwyn

Reaction score
But if he takes less then the team will be more successful and he'll be more relevant. If he takes more than can cause the team to be less talented. So if the team is below average he may appear to be below average and endorsements may dry up.

So the question in my mind is would I sacrifice 3 or 4 million in salary if I could make 6-8 in endorsements with a successful team. If I could make 10 million in endorsements and and 33 million in salary with a winning team then that would be 43 million. If I took 40 million a year, handcuffed the team and was on a losing or average team and made no endorsement money then he's losing 3 million a year.

I would take less in salary if I had that money made up in endorsements. There's no salary cap with endorsements and that's where he can clean up. I wouldn't handicap the team for a couple million when I can double that with income from another source. But I would secure that endorsement money prior to signing the contract with the Cowboys. So what I'm saying is if I knew I was getting paid the same amount I wanted, 40 million, I wouldn't care if 30 of it was from Jerry and 10 was from Nike, as long as I got my 40 I don't care. I would make sure that I had the contract signed for that 10 million from Nike prior to signing for less with Jerry.
Will the team go spend that money on Amari or an O Lineman?

peopel are really oversimplifying this and saying that taking a couple of million less guarantees a super bowl.

not doesnt

GenoT

Reaction score
Bottom-line:

The Dallas Cowboys (Jerry & Son) will never pay a penny more than what they believe Dak is worth.

Everything else is BS.

ESisback

Reaction score
I wish all players would settle like you do. Most want to earn what they can.

Then most are greedy. Committed to pride instead of integrity. Rich is rich. Your’re rich if you make 10 million a year. These guys are offered three times that, and they STILL act insulted! Offer them $15 per hour!

plymkr

Reaction score
Will the team go spend that money on Amari or an O Lineman?

peopel are really oversimplifying this and saying that taking a couple of million less guarantees a super bowl.

not doesnt
I would prefer a safety or another pass rusher. But I agree. I don't think of Dak takes less it guarantees a super bowl. But the less salary cap a player takes means more quality players can be signed. More quality players can produce an opportunity to have a better team.

But to answer the overall question of what would I do or would I personally take less. I personally would take market value for my position but not strive to be the highest paid at my position. I would consider taking less than market value to remain competitive and win. I'd be more concerned about my legacy and victories over money.

My dad has a saying. If you give a person 30,000 a year and he is in debt of 5,000, you can give the same person 30 million and he'll be 5 million in debt. Either you can manage money or you can't. I personally can manage money so if I got paid 17 million I would be set for life. So me personally would take less to remain competitive.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This thread is dumb.

In the NFL, there is a salary cap.

Do you guys honestly think Dak is good enough to overcome a bad defense?

If players like Rodgers and Marino weren't good enough, what makes you think Dak is? What have you seen from him that makes you think Dak is better than those two legendary QBs?

Let's play along with the "pay da man" crowd..

Let's just say Dak gets his 35m plus contract..

By default, you have to franchise Amari..

Then what?

Who are you going to blame when we lose 28 to 35 in a game?

The defense? So let me get this straight ..
You expect guys like Brown and Jeff Heath to be Pro Bowlers and win games for us? And not the guy who demanded 35M a year?

Is Dak a guy that can "win" Shootouts?
He better be for the type of money he wants.

Who's fault is it going to be when we lose shootouts? I want Dak's employees on here to answer the question.

Keep in mind, after Dak and Amari, over 75 percent of our cap space will be used on offense, so I don't want to hear people blaming the defense.

They do not care at this point.. People want Dak paid no matter the cost. They don’t think it matters.

ShortRound

Reaction score
It's not the same thing though. Of course I wouldn't take less.

But if my company had a salary cap of say 250k a year, to build a team of employees, and I got say 50k per year. I would expect all eyes are on me to perform.
If I take 2-3k less, but I get a young hot shot who would help my work? And win awards? That's a different question.

Salary cap just makes the owners look like they're the good guys when, there is no cap on profit for them.

Kwyn

Reaction score
They do not care at this point.. People want Dak paid no matter the cost. They don’t think it matters.
And there is probably an even larger number of people, here on this forum anyway, who think the Cowboys shouldn’t pay him at all and we should find the mythical Magic Mahomes Miracle Man standing in the vacant lot across from Home Depot.

Because, after all, Dak is a money grubbing lifetime loser who hates children, dogs and ‘Murica

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It would if it meant that the OL that protects you seriously deteriorates.
That's what happens when the QB takes too big a piece of the pie......the rest of the team gets the crumbs, including the OL.
That’s fine. The offensive line is overpaid. Tyron has been unhealthy and Fredericks missed a whole season two seasons ago. They are getting older there it’s going to deteriorate on its own. How much longer do you think they have?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LLLOOOLLL, this and then we get what happened in the PO game against the rams.
Had nothing to do with cost. Our best players choked. If Jaylon and LVE played like they did in the regular season or even the week before when they shut down the number one rushing attack maybe they wouldn’t have gotten beaten by the future hall of famer CJ Anderson.