How Many QBs Could Have This Team At 11-5 Or Better Right Now?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
who?

the question is what are the alterntives. right? without him. OK, I have said it before, show me any one player that would make this team better and its bah bye Dak...but everyoen keeps defering. they just want to complain about Dak missing passes, etc. .....

fact is based on this contract, we have to stick with him one more year. no way we can cut him now or this off season...too much of a cap hit. and people will talk about trading for wilson, blah blah....it can't fit under the cap and even if its somehow done, then the team is depleted of its talent and we know results of Wilson and a depleted team.
We're stuck with Dak, so here's my alternative.

We invest nothing into WR's.

We let Cooper, Gallup, Shultz (cause he can't block), and Zeke all go when the contracts are up.

We invest EVERYTHING into defense, O-line, and blocking TE's (receiving TE's aren't going to matter with us) and we become a run heavy, run first team, and force Dak to be Ryan Tannehill whether he likes it or not. If Kellen Moore don't want to fall in line with that then he can go too.

Paying Dak elite money does not make him an elite QB. That's water under the bridge. He's paid and there's nothing we can do about it now.

That's the only chance we have going forward with Dak.

Carter

Reaction score
OPs List is too long.

Here is who i think would have this team better than 11-5

Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Murray, Burrow, Tannehill, Lamar Jackson (just for his running abilities)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We're stuck with Dak, so here's my alternative.

We invest nothing into WR's.

We let Cooper, Gallup, Shultz (cause he can't block), and Zeke all go when the contracts are up.

We invest EVERYTHING into defense, O-line, and blocking TE's (receiving TE's aren't going to matter with us) and we become a run heavy, run first team, and force Dak to be Ryan Tannehill whether he likes it or not. If Kellen Moore don't want to fall in line with that then he can go too.

Paying Dak elite money does not make him an elite QB. That's water under the bridge. He's paid and there's nothing we can do about it now.

That's the only chance we have going forward with Dak.

to let all of them go seems like trying to take revenge on Dak. spiteful. depleting the recieving core will only make this team that much worse...

and to do all of that will take at least a couple of years if not more. and it requires for all of it to work out perfectly, otherwise we are left with nothing. Letting all the WRs go, will not lead to success. NFL is not NCAA, so we can't run a wishbone offense. Even in college they don't run as much any more, and its all spread offenses.... so that's just not realistic. it doesn't work in the NFL....we have to have some kind of a passing attack to be somewhat successful ala titans or Ravens.. even Titans went out and got a couple of WRs for Tannehill.

If the plan is to replace Dak I think we have to deal with at least one more year so that the dead cap becomes more managable, but we have no replacements that would logically be better. so perhaps tanking and go for it in the draft.

also the plan you outline would require a RB like Henry, which Titans have. Henry makes that offense go, not the OL and blocking TEs. other RBs in Tenn. would not find similar success. letting Zeke go, would mean we are short a RB too. and I don't believe Pollard is Henry like.

so in otherwords, perhaps you mean less tank and go for it in the draft...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
to let all of them go seems like trying to take revenge on Dak. spiteful. depleting the recieving core will only make this team that much worse...

and to do all of that will take at least a couple of years if not more. and it requires for all of it to work out perfectly, otherwise we are left with nothing. Letting all the WRs go, will not lead to success. NFL is not NCAA, so we can't run a wishbone offense. Even in college they don't run as much any more, and its all spread offenses.... so that's just not realistic. it doesn't work in the NFL....we have to have some kind of a passing attack to be somewhat successful ala titans or Ravens.. even Titans went out and got a couple of WRs for Tannehill.

If the plan is to replace Dak I think we have to deal with at least one more year so that the dead cap becomes more managable, but we have no replacements that would logically be better. so perhaps tanking and go for it in the draft.

also the plan you outline would require a RB like Henry, which Titans have. Henry makes that offense go, not the OL and blocking TEs. other RBs in Tenn. would not find similar success. letting Zeke go, would mean we are short a RB too. and I don't believe Pollard is Henry like.

so in otherwords, perhaps you mean less tank and go for it in the draft...
I don't care how it makes Dak feel or if he sees it as spiteful or revenge.

I care about doing what's best for the team and what's best for the team is recreating the 2016 version the best we can IF Dak is going to be the QB beyond the contract he already has.

We don't need a RB like Henry, because like most RBs, for as good as he is he is not essential, as you can see the Titans are doing just fine without him.

I'm not opposed to keeping Lamb as the #1 and having Wilson, Turner, or guys of that level, but we don't need 3 great WRs when Dak is your QB. We need an elite o-line and running game while letting Dak drive the bus. It sucks paying that much for a bus driver, but I don't want time to be wasted trying to make him something he just is not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't care how it makes Dak feel or if he sees it as spiteful or revenge.

I care about doing what's best for the team and what's best for the team is recreating the 2016 version the best we can IF Dak is going to be the QB beyond the contract he already has.

We don't need a RB like Henry, because like most RBs, for as good as he is he is not essential, as you can see the Titans are doing just fine without him.

I'm not opposed to keeping Lamb as the #1 and having Wilson, Turner, or guys of that level, but we don't need 3 great WRs when Dak is your QB. We need an elite o-line and running game while letting Dak drive the bus. It sucks paying that much for a bus driver, but I don't want time to be wasted trying to make him something he just is not.
but that wasn't about what dak would feel. its how you came across. its how you feel....spiteful....you sound spiteful.....

depleting the WR group and no TE is not a solution that's going to work. PERIOD. that's the point. you need to, must have some semblence of a passing game to find success and have to have a RB like Henry to succeed or one like Taylor in Indy. even they have some WRs that can stretch a defense and pose a threat.

no offense in the NFL will work consistently without threat of a passing game....this is not division II NCAA football.

your plan is just not logical nor realistic.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
but that wasn't about what dak would feel. its how you came across. its how you feel....spiteful....you sound spiteful.....

depleting the WR group and no TE is not a solution that's going to work. PERIOD. that's the point. you need to, must have some semblence of a passing game to find success and have to have a RB like Henry to succeed or one like Taylor in Indy. even they have some WRs that can stretch a defense and pose a threat.

no offense in the NFL will work consistently without threat of a passing game....this is not division II NCAA football.

your plan is just not logical nor realistic.
That's fine. I just have zero belief in Dak. I make that known. It's not spiteful towards him. Anybody would have signed that contract.

We do not need the receiving core that we have right now with the QB we have right now. Dak is wasting it. He's not good enough to get everything out of it. So, there's no point to keep trying to surround him with elite WRs and wasting cap space in that area.

The cap needs to go towards defense, o-line, and blocking TEs that can catch a few every now and then. Again, recreating the 2016 team the best we can, with Dak now being a veteran instead of a rookie, is our best chance going forward to be real contenders, not fakes that bully their way through a horrible division just to get sent home early in the playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's fine. I just have zero belief in Dak. I make that known. It's not spiteful towards him. Anybody would have signed that contract.

We do not need the receiving core that we have right now with the QB we have right now. Dak is wasting it. He's not good enough to get everything out of it. So, there's no point to keep trying to surround him with elite WRs and wasting cap space in that area.

The cap needs to go towards defense, o-line, and blocking TEs that can catch a few every now and then. Again, recreating the 2016 team the best we can, with Dak now being a veteran instead of a rookie, is our best chance going forward to be real contenders, not fakes that bully their way through a horrible division just to get sent home early in the playoffs.
I know you have zero belief in Dak. that's very clear. but to take away every recieving threat and TE and leave no Wrs to attack a defense....why? what kind of solution is that!!! how has that every worked for any team? maybe GB, but then again Rodgers is in contention of top 10 all time NFL QBs....we don't have one. 30 other teams don't have one.

now, I agree. been saying it for years. provided evidence as such that our defense has not been good and we hadn't drafted well defensively prior to 2020. in fact 15 years of futility drafting defensively. and I am not one that agrees to build a team through FA. most FAs are either older, over rated, injured and teams will keep their impactful FAs. you will over pay dearly in FA.

so building a defense must come through draft. we have done well the past couple of years. hopefully that continues.

with that said, our Running game has sucked the past 6 or 7 games. Zeke the highest paid RB in the league cracked the 100 mark twice this season and hasn't been close since the first game against the giants. same for tony pollard. we are not going to win too many games rushing for 45 yards. not with this offense. why did we struggle so much on offense rushing the ball against an average AZ team?

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I know you have zero belief in Dak. that's very clear. but to take away every recieving threat and TE and leave no Wrs to attack a defense....why? what kind of solution is that!!! how has that every worked for any team? maybe GB, but then again Rodgers is in contention of top 10 all time NFL QBs....we don't have one. 30 other teams don't have one.
I never said take away all of his receiving threats. I've said like 3 times to keep guys like Lamb, Wilson, Tuner, or draft guys there, but we do not need to have 3 guys would could be #1s on some teams when Dak is your QB.

It seems you missed it, but just above I said this to you: "I'm not opposed to keeping Lamb as the #1 and having Wilson, Turner, or guys of that level, but we don't need 3 great WRs when Dak is your QB"

There, I said it twice in this post, so it might be harder to miss. Are you okay?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
And 1-3 with him with the win coming from a freaky onside kick.
A disingenuous post really as Dalton had 2nd and often 3rd string offensive lineman.
but dak has one guy hurt and he can't play because the whole line is out. super dak, ain't worth a crap

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In no particular order:

1. Tom Brady
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Russell Wilson
5. Justin Herbet
6. Kyler Murray
7. Joe Burrow
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Josh Allen
10. Matt Stafford
11. Jalen Hurts
12. Lamar Jackson
13. Derek Carr
14. Carson Wentz
15. Tua Tagovailoa
16. Mac Jones

That's just off the top of my head and I might even be missing some QBs.

We watched Cooper Rush, in his first career start, throw for 330 yards, 2 TDs, and lead us to win in a hostile environment with these weapons for crying out loud.

You are definitely tripping with some of those names listed. Remember, everyone of those vaunted QB's will be playing behind a trash Oline and with one broken back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Somewhere between 8-8 and 9-7.
Which is probably fighting for a playoff spot .

No doubt we’d rather have an Elite HOF caliber QB but unfortunately every team doesn’t get one.

We could do much worse. Most teams end up with an average to above average QB you try to build around.