How many wins are bus driving QB's responsible for?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Warning-long post.

Something interesting about these endless debates about Dak makes me wonder how people can use hypocrisy to justify their own take on the QB position. On the one hand, a QB is extremely valuable (hardest and most important position to play on the field), and teams will fall over themselves for even decent QB play. On the other hand, you must acknowledge how much this is a team game and cannot place much blame on the QB in a loss. We do a ton of back and forth on QB production-this stat shows the QB is producing at a high level-this one shows poor aptitude etc. Can QB production be differentiated from their surrounding cast?

This last question is the most important question I can think of in this debate. It’s basically impossible to answer for anyone including all the professionals in NFL front offices. All anyone can really do is see results on the field per play to get an idea of what a QB is doing on each play (what they did well and what they did not).

Do QB’s have the ability to greatly impact the outcomes of games in wins/losses column? Yes, but the outcome of each game are tied to so many variables-so why is it so important to have a great QB?

In my opinion, it starts with not turning the ball over-either by fumbling on the play or throwing an interception. The next component is mental clarity (processing)-the ability to follow scheduled protocol and when to go off-script (and what you do in off-scripted plays). That also ties into the part about not turning the ball over and also when to take calculated risks. Natural talent, instincts, and foundational tendencies (including throwing mechanics) are typically big pieces of great play but are not big separators like the next quality. The composure and temperament of a QB under duress and in difficult situations is the biggest separator to me and the most nebulous.

This last one is very difficult to diagnose. You watch a QB make certain decisions under duress and try to make sense of it. The problem is that every QB will make poor decisions with the ball under duress. The big separator (in the biggest games) is how many big mistakes the QB makes under duress compared to making positive or neutral plays under duress (and making more positive than neutral plays). More games makes it easier to make judgements just because of increased sample size-and the appearance of trends.

What makes an elite QB? How many does the league have right now? Why do you consider them elite and not others?

I believe the league has two elite QBs (Mahomes and Burrow) and Josh Allen depending on the day. Most QB’s have not even been in the league for more than 6 seasons and the jury is still out. I’m of the belief that these elite QB’s can win with a supporting cast that is less talented than the other QB’s. I also believe that many NFL QB’s are only able to go as the surrounding talent goes-that is to say that if a team goes 5-12 or 12-5 with a QB, another QB would likely do the same (within a game or two).

I think fans and media get too caught up in the QB vs QB matchups because of hype and marketing material. To me, most QB’s are of similar ability with regards to actually impacting the win and loss column. How do you feel about that though-do you think there are more large differences with the QB population of the NFL?

shabazz

Reaction score
I'll just comment that with all the rules favoring the offense, I've never seen a more disappointing year for quarterback

When someone can lead the league in 2023 with only 36 passing TDs in 17 games with 4 coming in the last game against a tanking team, it's very telling

Blitzen

Reaction score
I'll just comment that with all the rules favoring the offense, I've never seen a more disappointing year for quarterback

When someone can lead the league in 2023 with only 36 passing TDs in 17 games with 4 coming in the last game against a tanking team, it's very telling
Yeah, it was a down year offensively across the league. Tons of sloppy play by offenses-not just the QB. Starting to wonder if the new practice rules are having a big impact on performance.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
How many of tyhose so called elite quarterbacks you named have won a Super Bowl??? ONE!! So much for elite. Mahomes is the only elite quarterback in the conversation.

Blitzen

Reaction score
How many of tyhose so called elite quarterbacks you named have won a Super Bowl??? ONE!! So much for elite. Mahomes is the only elite quarterback in the conversation.
Elite to you means being the QB to win a Super Bowl?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did not win that SB by himself.

If we said he lost the SB to TB, Does this same theory apply? Or does the no OL excuse come into play?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
QB get associated with wins because it's their job to do what's needed to get the W. With a great defense maybe you don't have to do much, or on a day the defense fails maybe you gotta make some more risky throws. All QB's are responsible for doing what is needed to get the win. brady typically relied on a really strong defense but also made some spectacular throws when needed. Mahomes was winning with his offense untill this year where his defense really stepped up and he didn't have to do nearly as much with his arm.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I thought this could be a discussion that does not need to focus on Dak. We can discuss other QB’s in the league and their real versus perceived impact on the win/loss column.

Derek Carr is getting lots of money to drive the bus in New Orleans. Mickey Loomis has been the GM for the Saints since 2002. How much more time does he get more that Brees and Payton are no longer running the show? They improved a whole 2 games from 2022 to 2023-barely missed the playoffs but in a weak division.
Is paying the bus driver the going rate worthwhile in this instance?

Is Baker Mayfield worth the going rate for Tampa Bay? They went 9-8 (one game better than 2022 with Tom Brady!). How did he do so poorly in both Carolina and LA and so well in Tampa Bay??? He got paid $4 million dollars last season and got them a wildcard round win. Does he get a huge extension and should he?

What about Geno Smith? Was a journeyman for a long time and finally got another chance to start because of the Russell Wilson trade and Jimmy Garoppolo deciding he was a chicken **** and wanting to remain in SF even if it was as a backup with less money. Then Geno goes 9-8 and they make the playoffs and gets a good sized contract to be the starter and basically repeats his performance but this time they miss the playoffs after another 9-8 finish.

Jimmy G goes to Las Vegas and goes a ho hum 3-3 in his starts before another injury. The team finished 8-9 without him (similar win/loss ratio). Is Jimmy G worth what they pay him?

Do teams need to pay bus drivers? Is it simply to market jerseys and other merchandise? Does these QB’s actually affect the win/losses of the team in a positive way or a neutral way and just reflect the surrounding cast?

75boyz

Reaction score
However ya wanna slice it up,
The Hostettlers, Dilfers, Brad Johnsons and Nick Foles Lombardi runs are still the outliers.

The truth of the matter is that the top pedigreed signal callers both getting to AND achieving SB success over their feel good story counterparts is a truth that can't be denied.

Seems as though at CowboysZone it's some close race between the 2 by the vast amount of posts over the years touting to build the team around the lesser QB when nothing could be further from the truth in seeing the bottom line results.

I guess the feeling here for almost 20 years has been to settle for the talent of an UDFA and project/developmental 4th rd QB as being the best we can do and that subconsciously has lowered many fans' standards at the most important position on the field.

Their judgment has been tainted.

Nothing could alter the direction of this team more quickly than acquiring an elite QB.

All the talk around how hard it is to find the right one is a valid and separate discussion altogether.

But that still doesn't change the truth.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
QB get associated with wins because it's their job to do what's needed to get the W. With a great defense maybe you don't have to do much, or on a day the defense fails maybe you gotta make some more risky throws. All QB's are responsible for doing what is needed to get the win. brady typically relied on a really strong defense but also made some spectacular throws when needed. Mahomes was winning with his offense untill this year where his defense really stepped up and he didn't have to do nearly as much with his arm.
They also lost many games where the offense looked very out of sorts. They were fortunate to win the SB this season. Baltimore likely should have beaten them in that game if Baltimore had played a more clean and disciplined game. Jackson showed poor composure and ability in a tightly contested game.

Blitzen

Reaction score
However ya wanna slice it up,
The Hostettlers, Dilfers, Brad Johnsons and Nick Foles Lombardi runs are still the outliers.

The truth of the matter is that the top pedigreed signal callers both getting to AND achieving SB success over their feel good story counterparts is a truth that can't be denied.

Seems as though at CowboysZone it's some close race between the 2 by the vast amount of posts over the years touting to build the team around the lesser QB when nothing could be further from the truth in seeing the bottom line results.

I guess the feeling here for almost 20 years has been to settle for the talent of an UDFA and project/developmental 4th rd QB as being the best we can do and that subconsciously has lowered many fans' standards at the most important position on the field.

Their judgment has been tainted.

Nothing could alter the direction of this team more quickly than acquiring an elite QB.

All the talk around how hard it is to find the right one is a valid and separate discussion altogether.

But that still doesn't change the truth.
Nothing could change the direction of any team as quickly as an elite QB which is why you see so many teams force picks and force early playing time on rookie QB’s. Other front offices do not typically get more than 3 years on the job before having to show major progress. The owner cleans the operation out and the whole cycle restarts-and it destroys careers in the meantime. Almost no chance for success.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Warning-long post.

Something interesting about these endless debates about Dak makes me wonder how people can use hypocrisy to justify their own take on the QB position. On the one hand, a QB is extremely valuable (hardest and most important position to play on the field), and teams will fall over themselves for even decent QB play. On the other hand, you must acknowledge how much this is a team game and cannot place much blame on the QB in a loss. We do a ton of back and forth on QB production-this stat shows the QB is producing at a high level-this one shows poor aptitude etc. Can QB production be differentiated from their surrounding cast?

This last question is the most important question I can think of in this debate. It’s basically impossible to answer for anyone including all the professionals in NFL front offices. All anyone can really do is see results on the field per play to get an idea of what a QB is doing on each play (what they did well and what they did not).

Do QB’s have the ability to greatly impact the outcomes of games in wins/losses column? Yes, but the outcome of each game are tied to so many variables-so why is it so important to have a great QB?

In my opinion, it starts with not turning the ball over-either by fumbling on the play or throwing an interception. The next component is mental clarity (processing)-the ability to follow scheduled protocol and when to go off-script (and what you do in off-scripted plays). That also ties into the part about not turning the ball over and also when to take calculated risks. Natural talent, instincts, and foundational tendencies (including throwing mechanics) are typically big pieces of great play but are not big separators like the next quality. The composure and temperament of a QB under duress and in difficult situations is the biggest separator to me and the most nebulous.

This last one is very difficult to diagnose. You watch a QB make certain decisions under duress and try to make sense of it. The problem is that every QB will make poor decisions with the ball under duress. The big separator (in the biggest games) is how many big mistakes the QB makes under duress compared to making positive or neutral plays under duress (and making more positive than neutral plays). More games makes it easier to make judgements just because of increased sample size-and the appearance of trends.

What makes an elite QB? How many does the league have right now? Why do you consider them elite and not others?

I believe the league has two elite QBs (Mahomes and Burrow) and Josh Allen depending on the day. Most QB’s have not even been in the league for more than 6 seasons and the jury is still out. I’m of the belief that these elite QB’s can win with a supporting cast that is less talented than the other QB’s. I also believe that many NFL QB’s are only able to go as the surrounding talent goes-that is to say that if a team goes 5-12 or 12-5 with a QB, another QB would likely do the same (within a game or two).

I think fans and media get too caught up in the QB vs QB matchups because of hype and marketing material. To me, most QB’s are of similar ability with regards to actually impacting the win and loss column. How do you feel about that though-do you think there are more large differences with the QB population of the NFL?
Football is the ultimate team sport. Multiple players are dependent on others to be successful. Some position less than others. Linemen are not really dependent on anyone behind them.

It all starts in the trenches. No matter how you look it. LB job is easier when you have good DT to keep him clean. DB job is easier with a great pass rush, much easier to pick bad passes from a QB under duress. Great DB's all of sudden suck when the QB has 5+ seconds to throw the ball. It is really not that hard to figure out.

If you have a good line and yes, there are different types of a good lines. You can have great pass protection, but poor run game and vice versa. If you can run the ball consistently the QB's job has become significantly easier.

We should all be very familiar with this. As our defense feasts on a 1 dimensional offenses. Definitely not because we shut down their run game, NO, but because we played with a big lead so often.

Our team is not built from the inside out. We do not have a dominate Center and we don't have good DT's. This puts more pressure on everyone else. If DB's have to worry about run support, they are more susceptible to the pass.

I really don't understand why people can't figure this out, but go ahead and keep blaming individuals when it is a team sport played as a unit.

This is not baseball, where you are a team playing as a bunch of individuals. When a batter is up to bat the are on their own, when a ball is hit to them the have to field on their own. That is not how football is played.

Emmit said it best at his HOF Speech. "Their would be no Emmit, without Moose."

We have a good group of individual players, however the team is not built to compliment each other. That is 100% GM Jeruh's fault.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah, it was a down year offensively across the league. Tons of sloppy play by offenses-not just the QB. Starting to wonder if the new practice rules are having a big impact on performance.
The odd injuries to Burrow, Rodgers and Cousins contributed as well

All 3 are gunslinger that get TDs with their arms.....so the default MVP was Lamar Jackson, lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Warning-long post.

Good post. Lots to think about here and can go in many directions.

I believe for some reason the QB often gets to much credit when they win and often times to much blame when they lose.

There are cleary times when a QB plays phenomenal and when the play terrible, but there are times where they don't have a good or bad game. In those situations if they win they are great and if they lose it is their fault. Very subjective.

Turnovers are a big factor, but if you have a great defense and they negate the turnover, the QB kinda gets a pass. Off of turnover results in opposing points it is amplified that you have a bad QB. That is the nature of the game.

If you have a good running game and run the ball 30 times keeping your QB in very manageable situations their likely hood of success goes up. If your QB has to throw the ball consistently 40 times a game he is at more risk.

If your defense gives up only 20 points a game your QB can play more conservative. If your team is constantly behind, they have to take more risks.

Every team absolutely wants a good QB, but every GM should be doing everything to make his job easier. Rarely do great QB's overcome dumb GM's and bad coaches, and because of that they never get the title of being a great QB.