How many wins are bus driving QB's responsible for?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Here are the NFCE rivals records since Dak has been in the league:

Commanders: 47-65-2
Giants: 48-77-1
Eagles: 76-54

He’s had the advantage of getting his wins from basement dweller rivals for his entire career.
a good part of that is because he is the best QB in the division and thus beats those other teams. Not that it has helped us in the playoffs of course but the point is in the regular season he is part of the reason why we have been better than those teams.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Rush beat the Bengals and I highly doubt Dak would have done the same.
5-1 kept our season alive till Deer Man came back vs the dog then the Lions.
Dak could have won that game too. My general thought is to do with the majority of QB’s-not just Dak. Do fans and media overvalue QB’s lots of times?

Do we not only blame them too much for losses but also wins? How much of an impact would say prime Philip Rivers make on this team this season? I think they could have probably scored more points versus Green Bay, but then ultimately lost because the defense just could not stop their offense. I doubt they could beat San Francisco either way and would struggle in a rematch against Detroit.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
No player wins by themselves but it really isn't that hard to understand.
  • Rules favor the offense
  • Most important position on offense is a huge factor in a team's success or failure
  • QB's who can make plays while limiting mistakes give their team a huge advantage
  • ie, your top QB's account for something like 70% of their teams success.
The rest of the teams just ride the wave of random outcomes.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He’s had the advantage of getting his wins from basement dweller rivals for his entire career.
Kinda like Tom Brady....hmm.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak could have won that game too. My general thought is to do with the majority of QB’s-not just Dak. Do fans and media overvalue QB’s lots of times?

Do we not only blame them too much for losses but also wins? How much of an impact would say prime Philip Rivers make on this team this season? I think they could have probably scored more points versus Green Bay, but then ultimately lost because the defense just could not stop their offense. I doubt they could beat San Francisco either way and would struggle in a rematch against Detroit.
And we just gave SF a 4th and an additional $5M to just pull farther away from us.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No player wins by themselves but it really isn't that hard to understand.
  • Rules favor the offense
  • Most important position on offense is a huge factor in a team's success or failure
  • QB's who can make plays while limiting mistakes give their team a huge advantage
  • ie, your top QB's account for something like 70% of their teams success.
The rest of the teams just ride the wave of random outcomes.
I think that your percentage attributed for success is only for a very select few QB’s and even then is pretty skewed.

Lines of scrimmage have a major impact on the QB’s along with the playmakers given (we saw how much Mahomes and their offense can struggle with lesser weapons). Their defense was absolutely critical in their success this season and was by far their stronger unit (not that Mahomes did not make critical plays when they really needed them).

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think that your percentage attributed for success is only for a very select few QB’s and even then is pretty skewed.

Lines of scrimmage have a major impact on the QB’s along with the playmakers given (we saw how much Mahomes and their offense can struggle with lesser weapons). Their defense was absolutely critical in their success this season and was by far their stronger unit (not that Mahomes did not make critical plays when they really needed them).
Not a simple thing to pin down but you can have all the other pieces without a playmaking QB and it's going to take a lot of luck to get a championship. They are the difference makers.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

No.
...It's just tha the bloke chokes every postseason.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Are you a communist? :muttley:
Bud, it's the NFL the QB position is the highest paid for many reasons.
Dak takes up the largest chunk of our Cap $ handles the ball more than anyone etc etc.
He got his BAG.............what have we received in return?
Defense held the Niners in 2 playoff losses to 19 and 23 points where was Dak?
Have you considered the talent that has been around him since 2016?
Guess not..............
P.S. Dak losses against the Bengals as its a perfect game for him to choke out another loss for us.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not a simple thing to pin down but you can have all the other pieces without a playmaking QB and it's going to take a lot of luck to get a championship. They are the difference makers.
I’ve already said that having a true elite talent at QB is the biggest single position value an NFL team can have. When you factor in how few of them exist-is it possible all the other clubs and fans overvalue their own or a few of the others (because they see what a difference the true elite QB makes)? Do NFL clubs and media realize this overvaluation and market the position based on it?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Just a couple days ago I saw a clip from a recent interview with Brady. He was asked about his perception of the current state of QB play. He didn't hesitate and said he was disappointed in the general lack of ability of today's QB to understand and adjust to what they are seeing in the moment.

Talked about coaches sending in plays chosen based on down and distance and how they expect the defense to play the down. Said that that is all fine and good if the defense plays you as expected, but if they don't, as the leader you have to be able to recognize and adjust in real time. Far to many QB's don't seem willing or able to do that and run the called play right into the teeth of the defense.

IMO, that true field general attitude is essential and absolutely can make the difference, winning you some games that might otherwise have been lost.

The play calling has been used as an excuse here. With every play caller the last six years. The play caller can do nothing more than choose what he considers the highest percentage play to beat the defensive alignment the analytics told him he should expect in that down and distance. He can do nothing about it if the defense doesn't play it as expected. That is all on the QB to adjust to.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Are you a communist? :muttley:
Bud, it's the NFL the QB position is the highest paid for many reasons.
Dak takes up the largest chunk of our Cap $ handles the ball more than anyone etc etc.
He got his BAG.............what have we received in return?
Defense held the Niners in 2 playoff losses to 19 and 23 points where was Dak?
Have you considered the talent that has been around him since 2016?
Guess not..............
P.S. Dak losses against the Bengals as its a perfect game for him to choke out another loss for us.
This was supposed to be about any QB and how the position gets valued. I wanted the Cowboys to go in another direction before the first contract extension for Dak. Are you able to discuss the other middle of pack QB’s and why you think some of them get paid pretty well (Derek Carr for example), but not really bring anything extra of value to the Saints on field product? Other than they handle the ball the most?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Just a couple days ago I saw a clip from a recent interview with Brady. He was asked about his perception of the current state of QB play. He didn't hesitate and said he was disappointed in the general lack of ability of today's QB to understand and adjust to what they are seeing in the moment.

Talked about coaches sending in plays chosen based on down and distance and how they expect the defense to play the down. Said that that is all fine and good if the defense plays you as expected, but if they don't, as the leader you have to be able to recognize and adjust in real time. Far to many QB's don't seem willing or able to do that and run the called play right into the teeth of the defense.

IMO, that true field general attitude is essential and absolutely can make the difference, winning you some games that might otherwise have been lost.

The play calling has been used as an excuse here. With every play caller the last six years. The play caller can do nothing more than choose what he considers the highest percentage play to beat the defensive alignment the analytics told him he should expect in that down and distance. He can do nothing about it if the defense doesn't play it as expected. That is all on the QB to adjust to.
Thank you. That reminds me of a Bruce Lee quote: “Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water.”

He talked about facing a human opponent that does not fight like a coded robot-the other guy also adapts and changes in real time.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was supposed to be about any QB and how the position gets valued. I wanted the Cowboys to go in another direction before the first contract extension for Dak. Are you able to discuss the other middle of pack QB’s and why you think some of them get paid pretty well (Derek Carr for example), but not really bring anything extra of value to the Saints on field product? Other than they handle the ball the most?
My only concern is my Cowboys and what the rest of the league does is their business.
We have a middle-of-the-road QB being paid like an elite at the time of his contract.
Comparing our situation to the rest of the league is trying to excuse the reality of our situation as it is irrelevant to what the rest of the league does.
Middle-of-the-pack QB will only get you so far and unless you go hunting (like the Chiefs) and try and find an elite one middle-of-the-road results are what you will have.
We are stuck in the Middle of the road.................... :facepalm: