How many wins are bus driving QB's responsible for?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many more playoff wins would Dallas have if Rush was the FT QB? Quite possibly more because he wouldn't be getting paid 30 million per season more than his worth.
The team rallies around Rush............Dak since Zeke left not soooooooooo much.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I’ve already said that having a true elite talent at QB is the biggest single position value an NFL team can have. When you factor in how few of them exist-is it possible all the other clubs and fans overvalue their own or a few of the others (because they see what a difference the true elite QB makes)? Do NFL clubs and media realize this overvaluation and market the position based on it?
Clearly the NFL has allowed non elite QB's to be paid way too much just because of the position.

Absolutely fans overvalue QB's who are just good enough to keep their team out of the bottom third of the NFL.

The QB is the most marketable position in football. Teams & media overhype them constantly.

This is one of the barest cupboards for high level QB play we have seen in years. We currently only have 1 proven guy & 3-4 guys who seem to have the talent but haven't gotten over the hump. The rest are underwhelming.

A few years back you had double that number who were legit difference makers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'll just comment that with all the rules favoring the offense, I've never seen a more disappointing year for quarterback

When someone can lead the league in 2023 with only 36 passing TDs in 17 games with 4 coming in the last game against a tanking team, it's very telling
What does it say especially when he went from 12th in the league in touchdowns to 1st?”

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
"Bus Driver" is so overused for any QB in todays NFL... the problem is no QB wins the game without getting the ball to his weapons..IE "Bus Driving"...now back in the day there were QB's who would be asked to literally hand the ball off 75% more than pass it but i doubt that would work in todays NFL..a true "Bus Driver" (in reference to what we are using the term for) would look like the Michigan QB in games this year..throwing the ball 9 times and handing it off 50...you just wont find that in todays NFL..."Elite" is also so subjective..is elite a QB that "Lifts" a team to a SB trophy?..again he delivers the ball but others had to make plays and then there is a whole defense that is involved in winning that championship too..Mahomes is whithout a doubt the BEST QB in the league today...he needs a damn good team around him to sniff a championship...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thread thus far, although the broad scope of discussion is being expectedly narrowed occasionally, lol.
In my opinion, it starts with not turning the ball over-either by fumbling on the play or throwing an interception.
I have a pet peeve about interceptions that I have voiced in the past. Quarterbacks are responsible for delivering catchable passes. Receivers are equally responsible for catching catchable passes.

Quarterbacks should not be scrutinized for catchable footballs ricocheting off stone hands, helmets, between the jersey numbers, etc. Unfortunately, they are blamed far more often than not. Sometimes, it is because the source of the criticism has only read a box score or listened to a game summary. "<Fill in the blank> threw three interceptions." Yeah. Two interceptions were thrown to a defender and the receiver was five yards away from the pick. The third INT careened off the receiver's hands.

Dog the quarterback for throwing two interceptions. He didn't do his job. Lumping all the interceptions together in order to criticize is not only unfair but illogical since he did his job the third time around. Stop letting receivers off the hook.

/rant

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It says he had a better REGULAR season than the previous year when he led the league in Interceptions despite playing 5 less games.

Nothing more....nothing less
That was 2 seasons ago. It has nothing to do with what the future may hold.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It says he had a better REGULAR season than the previous year when he led the league in Interceptions despite playing 5 less games.

Nothing more....nothing less
No I’m saying in 2023 he was as low as 12th in the league and weeks later ended up first. In a year where a lot of quarterbacks struggled against defenses.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Warning-long post.

Something interesting about these endless debates about Dak makes me wonder how people can use hypocrisy to justify their own take on the QB position. On the one hand, a QB is extremely valuable (hardest and most important position to play on the field), and teams will fall over themselves for even decent QB play. On the other hand, you must acknowledge how much this is a team game and cannot place much blame on the QB in a loss. We do a ton of back and forth on QB production-this stat shows the QB is producing at a high level-this one shows poor aptitude etc. Can QB production be differentiated from their surrounding cast?

This last question is the most important question I can think of in this debate. It’s basically impossible to answer for anyone including all the professionals in NFL front offices. All anyone can really do is see results on the field per play to get an idea of what a QB is doing on each play (what they did well and what they did not).

Do QB’s have the ability to greatly impact the outcomes of games in wins/losses column? Yes, but the outcome of each game are tied to so many variables-so why is it so important to have a great QB?

In my opinion, it starts with not turning the ball over-either by fumbling on the play or throwing an interception. The next component is mental clarity (processing)-the ability to follow scheduled protocol and when to go off-script (and what you do in off-scripted plays). That also ties into the part about not turning the ball over and also when to take calculated risks. Natural talent, instincts, and foundational tendencies (including throwing mechanics) are typically big pieces of great play but are not big separators like the next quality. The composure and temperament of a QB under duress and in difficult situations is the biggest separator to me and the most nebulous.

This last one is very difficult to diagnose. You watch a QB make certain decisions under duress and try to make sense of it. The problem is that every QB will make poor decisions with the ball under duress. The big separator (in the biggest games) is how many big mistakes the QB makes under duress compared to making positive or neutral plays under duress (and making more positive than neutral plays). More games makes it easier to make judgements just because of increased sample size-and the appearance of trends.

What makes an elite QB? How many does the league have right now? Why do you consider them elite and not others?

I believe the league has two elite QBs (Mahomes and Burrow) and Josh Allen depending on the day. Most QB’s have not even been in the league for more than 6 seasons and the jury is still out. I’m of the belief that these elite QB’s can win with a supporting cast that is less talented than the other QB’s. I also believe that many NFL QB’s are only able to go as the surrounding talent goes-that is to say that if a team goes 5-12 or 12-5 with a QB, another QB would likely do the same (within a game or two).

I think fans and media get too caught up in the QB vs QB matchups because of hype and marketing material. To me, most QB’s are of similar ability with regards to actually impacting the win and loss column. How do you feel about that though-do you think there are more large differences with the QB population of the NFL?
How many wins do 3rd string emergency QB's account for in an entire NFL season??!

Jayinem

Reaction score
Rush drove the wheels off the cheese wagon. Putting Daks value even more in question
Did he really? He was 5-1 which was pretty good. He did lose to the Eagles (the eventually NFC Champions) and had a bad game and? As if Dak never has bad games against good teams? He does it ALL the time.