How many would take a pay cut?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
But other players in the league are the more important data point. Because they are his comps, his peers.

The underlying premise is no person would take a bit less to help out a team (or a company).

That's bullspit. Players do it all the time.

So yeah, I think it's perfectly fair to say Elliott is being a bit selfish here when there are other players who were in his situation and took a bit less and didn't hold out. Shoot, Prescott probably has more of a reason to hold out and he's in camp practicing.

How is he worth more than Top 5 money? Because you think so? He's arguably not the best back in football. He's not the Tom Brady of running backs or the Aaron Donald of RBs.
Just because SOME players in the league have done it, doesnt make it the norm.

Could you imagine every contract negotiation going forward??

And yes he is worth more than top 5 money. Here are the top 5 paid players at his position:

Todd Gurley
Leveon Bell
David Johnson
Devonta Freeman
Lesean McCoy

McCoy and Freeman make $8m per year. No way in hell should Zeke be making that little considering what he means to this team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.
It is not about "pay cuts".

It is taking a deal worth less than what the "market" dictates.

You are trying to establish an analogy that is not the same to regular life.

These free agents are not asked to cut their pay. They are being asked to compromise their demands with other contracts in mind.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top two money is ok by me, with provisions for off-field issues.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I see this all the time. People asking, "Would you take less?"

I have. I do. In the job I have now.

I have taught for 25 years. I love my town, my community, and my family loves it here. My daughter graduated from the school I teach at, and my son will graduate in May.

I have received numerous offers from some principal friends of mine to teach in their districts for much better pay. I choose to stay here because I'm doing what makes my family happy.

I see this as a similar analogy to what Jerry and Steven are asking of the players. If a player truly wants to win a Super Bowl and if they truly want to keep their teammates, then they won't ask for the moon. They aren't being asked to "take less"....far from it....as a matter of fact, all players will actually receive raises. What they are being asked is to take into consideration the fact that a contender is built by sometimes sacrificing having a bloated contract for the greater good.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Like I said, its only a big deal to those who are playing solely for a pay check and couldn't care less about about winning championships. Dak and Zeke are showing that they belong to that category.

Tom Brady has taken several pay cuts because winning means more than his bank account balance.
Assembling a championship team/roster and fitting them under the salary cap isnt and shouldnt be Zeke’s concern. It isnt his job. That fault lies solely on the GM/Owner. Maybe if he hired a coach worth a damn, Zeke wouldve won a championship before him and Dak were up for new deals...

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
The better analogy is a boss offering an employee a 300% raise and the employee saying, “Nah, I want a 350% raise.”

agk136

Reaction score
You're only worth what someone is willing to pay. Many people have lost out on many opportunities by asking too much. This holds true for all walks of life. Greed has ruin many people.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Assembling a championship team/roster and fitting them under the salary cap isnt and shouldnt be Zeke’s concern. It isnt his job. That fault lies solely on the GM/Owner. Maybe if he hired a coach worth a damn, Zeke wouldve won a championship before him and Dak were up for new deals...

Its obvious he isn't concerned because he clearly isn't playing the game to win, he only plays to get paid.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you're going to play that game, maybe if Zeke stayed out of trouble, the FO wouldn't be balking at his request.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Again, players have taken less to help teams out before and it didn't have this ripple effect you want to claim this will have.

And it isn't taking less to appease the billion dollar owner. It's taking less so they can stretch their cap out and possibly add another name player down the road either in FA or give one of their own a contract that they might not be able to do.
You are literally talking about a small minority here.

Look at all the recent deals that have been signed by the top players in this league.

Russell Wilson
Michael Thomas
Todd Gurley
Bobby Wagner
Kevin Byard

All signed the highest paid deals at their position. 4 of those teams were playoff teams. Did they “take less” to help the Billionaire owner assemble a better team? No, so why should Zeke?

Kingofholland

Reaction score

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.

Good point, but there is additional context needed. Someone needing the money to actually live on is different than someone making 12 million instead of 15 million a year. Additionally, if the top players take a few million less, maybe it allows the Cowboys to sign another key player that puts them over the hump. Win a Super Bowl and endorsement deals become a lot more lucrative, along with other perks.

To the athlete that says I risk my body 16+ times a year I deserve the money, I would point them to firefighters, military, and police that risk their lives everyday for far less.

Beaker42

Reaction score

You’re comparing apples to pumpkins. It’s not like these guys are making $12/hr and you want a few to take $9/hr so more work can get done. I’d gladly take $12 mil instead of $14 mil so we could get a guy to help us win the SB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If you're going to play that game, maybe if Zeke stayed out of trouble, the FO wouldn't be balking at his request.
Thats a different conversation buddy

The Front Office WANTS to pay Zeke. They are mad because they want him to take a deal that THEY want.

Stephen’s goofy behind was the one that said contract negotiations would Start at Todd Gurley’s deal, but now everyone is mad at Zeke because the Cowboys reneged on their word?

Sydla

Reaction score
Just because SOME players in the league have done it, doesnt make it the norm.

Could you imagine every contract negotiation going forward??

And yes he is worth more than top 5 money. Here are the top 5 paid players at his position:

Todd Gurley
Leveon Bell
David Johnson
Devonta Freeman
Lesean McCoy

McCoy and Freeman make $8m per year. No way in hell should Zeke be making that little considering what he means to this team.

Total contract value is silly to look at it because it includes years that are essentially voidable.

The top 5 guaranteed contracts start with $27MM for Bell and go up to $45MM for Gurley (which is an outlier and no one is going to pay that to a TB).

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
You are literally talking about a small minority here.

Look at all the recent deals that have been signed by the top players in this league.

Russell Wilson
Michael Thomas
Todd Gurley
Bobby Wagner
Kevin Byard

All signed the highest paid deals at their position. 4 of those teams were playoff teams. Did they “take less” to help the Billionaire owner assemble a better team? No, so why should Zeke?

None of the players you listed held their team hostage by demanding new contracts when they still had two years left on their current deal. None of them held out, they showed up for work when expected to do so.

yimyammer

Reaction score

Your example is not analogous to what's going on with the Cowboys & its players

Having said that, if working for a company afforded me more opportunities to make tons of money now and long after I worked at said company from other sources that wanted to be associated with my companies #1 brand, then I would understand taking a lower salary is justified because of those other income sources wouldn't be nearly as good anywhere else. Additionally, because the nature of my work requires a strong team of talented individuals around me for any of us to succeed, then by not taking all the oxygen out of the room with my bloated salary, I am able to have a longer career, as well as my peers and we all make more money in the process.

Plus because said company is in a state without income taxes and the cost of living is lower in the town the company resides means I'd actually take home less, spend more after and end up with less for savings etc. if I worked elsewhere and made the same salary.

David Schwimmer was smart enough to realize that although his agent was pushing for him to get the highest salary possible, David refused and went to his cast mates and convinced them that they all should be paid the same and as a result they negotiated their salary as an ensemble all making the same money per episode. Their bond grew stronger in the process and Friends went on for years, perhaps longer than they would have had they not taken equal salaries. Additionally, he'll make more money in residuals than he'll likely ever be able to spend. Had he not been so unselfish, he likely would have made less money in the long run and perhaps damaged relationships with his cast-mates and cut the show's life span in the process.

The Cowboys are the best brand on the planet with an owner who will make his players part of his family forever where they can benefit from the brand, being associated with jeri & co and play with Jeri's toys (yacht, helicopter, private jet), etc, etc.. There's plenty of reasons to shave some $$ off the salary to benefit the team for salary cap reasons. Despite my disdain for jeri & spawn, I don't believe they are trying to whittle down the players salaries so they can put money in their pockets and seem to understand the cap is real and it takes a team to win these days. This isn't basketball where 1 or 2 superstars can drag their entire team across the championship goal line.

Sometimes thinking outside the box and sacrificing a little in one or more areas can allow you to make far more than trying squeeze every possible penny into your paycheck.

Every player on the Cowboys should happily play for less given the host of auxiliary benefits that come with playing for Americas Team

And if the miracle of miracles were to occur where the Cowboys actually won another Super Bowl, the residual benefits from that victory would pay off for decades

**Injury risk could be mitigated by decent guarantees plus a supplement insurance policy that would kick in if a catastrophic injury occurred

kskboys

Reaction score

If I was making $624 an hour, I'd say no problem.