How many would take a pay cut?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would honor my original contract.
Yep. Only the 4th year. I really don’t think the FO expected him to play the 5th year or the tag.

But this year yeah. They expected it. He got 4 million of this years money before he took a snap in the NFL.

romonumberone

Reaction score
At my work I take pay cuts all the time for the sake of the deal & for the sake of unity & for the sake of continued deals & business. And lets be clear what we are talking about here..... Dak is turning down $30 million a year and saying he is insulted. Dak as a QB sucks. What is going to happen to Dak when there is no good players on the team.... Romo had that problem but at least Romo could get them to 8-8. Dak with no talent on the team will be having them at 3-13.

I will say this again you are not a good QB when you have to have healthy pro bowlers surrounding you at every position.... and if even one player is missing you suck as a QB.... you are not a good QB.

The stupid thing these players get caught in is they want to push the envelope on the deal.... but with that you will be one of the first to get jettisoned when you have an off year. I would rather earn $25 million a year for 10 years than get $35 million a year for only 2 years. Plus the better the team is than the more you win as a player. Plus with winning comes more money in endorsements. I would rather have a Hall of Fame career and earn a couple of Super Bowls like Eli manning than be like Kirk Cousins. Their agent has a completely different agenda they want to push the envelope on the contract so other players will work with them.

In addition I would definitely want to be on Jerry Jones good side and be in the inner circle of trust. After my playing days he could hook me up with a good gig in coaching or something else.

What does it really matter if you earn $33,000,000 a year or $35,000,000 a year. It is all about ego & bragging rights & low self esteem..... none of it is about team or winning. The way they have been behaving proves they do not care at all about the Dallas Cowboys or winning.

Another reason I would give the Dallas Cowboys a discount. Texas taxes are cheaper and cost of living is cheaper than a lot of other places. You play for the Rams.... good luck finding that mansion in Malibu for the same price as Dallas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One has nothing to do with the other. That would be relevant only if we did not have a salary cap. Surely you are kidding and not that simple.
I am that simple, but you already knew that, and if you think they're not related, you are wrong. The players know how the owners live and live it up while they lay it on the line on the turf. Players could give a damn about the cap, they want theirs.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am that simple, but you already knew that, and if you think they're not related, you are wrong. The players know how the owners live and live it up while they lay it on the line on the turf. Players could give a damn about the cap, they want theirs.

Of course they do. I don’t blame them for it to some degree. On the other hand taking 10 percent less than top dollar may enable them to recoup it several times fold in endorsements.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.
one thing, the premise of your argument is totally wrong. he is not asking you to take a pay cut. he is offering you more than you make today, you are asking for more than he is offering. so its not like his salary is 4 mill this year and jerry is saying, I want to pay you 2....he is offering him 12, zeke is asking for 15. he is offering dak 30, dak is asking 40.

totally totally wrong premise for comparison.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can if your one of the top talents. You can demand almost anything.

If history has proven anything to us , is that the most talented athletes are in a league of their own.

He simply wants to get paid now. It’s up to us to decide what we want to do.

I understand what he wants and why he wants it. I'm only perplexed SJ offered him anything.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Ask Sean Lee. I think he took a pay cut. For him the answer was "yes". None of the big 3 up for contract renewal/negotiation are being asked to reduce their income from what they currently earn.

Would I be willing to accept "less than market value" for my services with a specific employer. Personally, yes, if I made a commitment/signed a contract that was initially fair, and there was a good chance I would be rewarded later anyway.

Also, tax scenarios would come into play. I will take $ 1 Million in a State with lower taxes, over $1.1 in a state with double the taxes.

Are there benefits aside from salary? Endorsements? National exposure that could lead to bigger pay day later would be a factor. Good work environment (do I enjoy what I do because of where I am, or can I make 10% more in a situation I'd hate - if I make "enough" to be comfortable financially - then no-brainer - rather be happy)?

Do I want to toil in obscurity with little chance to "win" and achieve a historical "coup" of a championship for a few dollars more? Some would rather take the money, some would rather have a better chance to "win" a championship.

Do I care if I am taking the lions share of the pizza, leaving nothing or little for a number of others...? Should this be a factor for me? Will that effect how my co-workers interact with me - do I care....?

Beyond a certain level of income, the number is no longer about financial independence and becomes about ego - this has been studied in economics and psychology quite thoroughly. $100 to someone earning $50,000/year is far more motivating/important than $100 or even $1000 to someone earning $2 Million a year.......

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.
Beast is totally lost here...……………….who exactly is being asked to take a pay cut?

Zeke...……...Nope, has two years left on his contract and he is refusing to play...……..no pay cut here.

Dak...……...Nope, he is playing on the last year of his contract...………………..no pay cut here.

Coop...……..Nope, he is playing on the last year of his contract as well...………..no pay cut here.

Jaylon...…….Nope, he just got a huge raise with a brand new contract...………..no pay cut here.

LVE...……...Nope, he is still playing on his rookie contract...……………………..no pay cut here.

Everybody else on team...……………..Nope, out of 89 players currently on the roster...……….nobody has been asked about a pay cut.

So help Beast out here, exactly what the hell is the OP even talking about???

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Because:

1. The position he plays

2. He is worth being the top-paid at his position

Its business and fans for some reason refuse to understand it.
Maybe his off the field hijinks has convinced the front office that he is not worth being the highest paid RB in the history of the NFL.

You are right, its a business. But you seem to not understand that its a two way street. Just because you say Zeke is worth being the top paid at his position, doesn't mean the Cowboys believe it. So if the Cowboys dont think Zeke is worth being the highest paid, isn't it smart business on their part not to pay him?

In other words, it might just be your personal opinion that Zeke is worth the money, the front office might not agree. Ergo, why they offered top 5 money, but not top money.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
SJ said he knows it starts at gurly money and goes up. And he had the money set to the side. Lol. Now you are correct though, it doesn’t mean that’s what we offered. And I think it would be funny after the trouble he has given the FO and holding out if we offered bell money for a while.

Jones never was talking about the year.

Zeke has 1 year left on his rookie deal and they already picked up his 5th year option.

Like most i do think he was referring to 2020 about this deal and the money he metioned.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Maybe his off the field hijinks has convinced the front office that he is not worth being the highest paid RB in the history of the NFL.

You are right, its a business. But you seem to not understand that its a two way street. Just because you say Zeke is worth being the top paid at his position, doesn't mean the Cowboys believe it. So if the Cowboys dont think Zeke is worth being the highest paid, isn't it smart business on their part not to pay him?

In other words, it might just be your personal opinion that Zeke is worth the money, the front office might not agree. Ergo, why they offered top 5 money, but not top money.
Stephen himself said Gurley’s contract would be the starting point in negotiations

DandyDon52

Reaction score
At my work I take pay cuts all the time for the sake of the deal & for the sake of unity & for the sake of continued deals & business. And lets be clear what we are talking about here..... Dak is turning down $30 million a year and saying he is insulted. Dak as a QB sucks. What is going to happen to Dak when there is no good players on the team.... Romo had that problem but at least Romo could get them to 8-8. Dak with no talent on the team will be having them at 3-13.

I will say this again you are not a good QB when you have to have healthy pro bowlers surrounding you at every position.... and if even one player is missing you suck as a QB.... you are not a good QB.

The stupid thing these players get caught in is they want to push the envelope on the deal.... but with that you will be one of the first to get jettisoned when you have an off year. I would rather earn $25 million a year for 10 years than get $35 million a year for only 2 years. Plus the better the team is than the more you win as a player. Plus with winning comes more money in endorsements. I would rather have a Hall of Fame career and earn a couple of Super Bowls like Eli manning than be like Kirk Cousins. Their agent has a completely different agenda they want to push the envelope on the contract so other players will work with them.

In addition I would definitely want to be on Jerry Jones good side and be in the inner circle of trust. After my playing days he could hook me up with a good gig in coaching or something else.

What does it really matter if you earn $33,000,000 a year or $35,000,000 a year. It is all about ego & bragging rights & low self esteem..... none of it is about team or winning. The way they have been behaving proves they do not care at all about the Dallas Cowboys or winning.

Another reason I would give the Dallas Cowboys a discount. Texas taxes are cheaper and cost of living is cheaper than a lot of other places. You play for the Rams.... good luck finding that mansion in Malibu for the same price as Dallas.
you make some good points , except for the dak is no good comments lol.
Elliot just wants to say he is highest paid ever, plus he needs that money for lawyers, and partying!!

So I am curious, if you were jerry what would you do regarding these 3 guys ??
be specific on each one.
Texas is cheap and no state income tax, and I would rather have the long term deal for less. because in long run you would make more.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

dak needs them. on the whole not a huge issue. but the top 5 qb's in the league should be able to make players "good". it never seems to matter who players like brees, rogers, brady and the like have; the qb's never missed a beat and thrived. dak needs help. again, not a huge issue as it is a team sport. however, dak is here and working while zeke is not. that does count for something to me, but not all that much in the end really.

dak is going to get whatever he can. as would i, as would any of us here likely. i have no idea how many offers have gone out but rule of thumb is never take the first one. we'll see how that works out. if he continues to push for top 5 or higher qb money, best i can say is "that's a bold strategy, cotton. lets see if it works".

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
you make some good points , except for the dak is no good comments lol.
Elliot just wants to say he is highest paid ever, plus he needs that money for lawyers, and partying!!

So I am curious, if you were jerry what would you do regarding these 3 guys ??
be specific on each one.
Texas is cheap and no state income tax, and I would rather have the long term deal for less. because in long run you would make more.
i'd trade an OL to SF for their backup QB we've seemed to like in the past
i'd trade zeke to oakland for (2) 1st rounders. they got like a dozen or so anyway.
i'd sign cooper to a solid contract

but in reality, dak will get money we can't believe and in a few years, he'll be back in the middle of the paypack. ditto for zeke.