How many years do we give Dak?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
If I was the GM (Heh, I'd fire the coaching staff...but I'll be realistic here):

- 2018, Dak and the coaching staff will stay intact. If things don't miraculously turn around (and I mean, at least a playoff win), then the whole coaching staff gets canned and we move onto the next part.

- 2019, we bring in an entirely new coaching staff and that HC will choose the QB that fits his system best (through the draft, FA or in-house). The season will be tumultuous, but entirely necessary to take the team into a new direction. We need a new offensive scheme and a QB that can fully run it, not an old scheme that is pruned/tailored for a non-fitting QB.

- 2020, one year removed from the clapper's stench, this team might start looking the part of a true legacy franchise.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
He didn't look fantastic. He had the perfect storm. The best rb in the league, manageable down and distance, and an extremely easy schedule. He particularly looked awful against Green Bay in the playoffs.

I never said it wasnt a perfect storm nor did I try to justify why he looked how he did last year. My point was he was damn good.

As far as his playoff game he started off slow but brought us all the way back.

Dak for the day: 24-for-38 for three touchdowns, an interception and 302 passing yards. That's good for a QB-rating of 103.2.

I am not sticking up for his play this year either, he was bad period.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Considering his rookie season, he at least deserves a mulligan for this season's disaster. 2018 will let us know what kind of QB he really is. Having a WR corp that can run precise routes and catch the ball would be a huge asset to him.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Unless he completely dogs it next season , might as well give him his complete contract to see where he goes.

He's been recognize as an extremely diligent and hard worker. He should recognize his flaws this season fairly easily and hopefully works on them all offseason

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I never said it wasnt a perfect storm nor did I try to justify why he looked how he did last year. My point was he was damn good.

As far as his playoff game he started off slow but brought us all the way back.

Dak for the day: 24-for-38 for three touchdowns, an interception and 302 passing yards. That's good for a QB-rating of 103.2.

I am not sticking up for his play this year either, he was bad period.

The numbers look pretty because they started to air the ball out in the fourth quarter but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Green Bay let up in the 4th.

zeke21

Reaction score
You have to give a ROTY a chance. But if next year he doesn't show improved pocket awareness and accuracy.
That off season they'll make a decision because of contract.
It's a mantra Garrett has two more years and that could dovetail nicely with both leaving.
I heard exactly the same things about RGIII but he never turned it around and Dak won't either. Cut your losses now and move on. They made a bad call last year.. so be it.. don't let it drag us down for another season or three. For the record I compared Dak to RGIII from the moment his hype train went full speed ahead last year and it was my biggest concern that so many fans weren't actually paying attention. We have seen plenty of one year wonders at the QB position.. but once the tape is out.. its out and especially if you have mechanical issues, which Dak does.

Its a bit like the Poker player that gives up his last $1000 despite having nothing on the river.. because he already put in $400 chasing the flush and feels pot committed...

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
He had a great first season, and a so-so second.

I'll give him next year, another so-so does not cut it, he needs to show us what he learned from how teams attacked him this season. If no change is done then I am afraid that would be who he is.

:cool:

CWR

Reaction score
The numbers look pretty because they started to air the ball out in the fourth quarter but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Green Bay let up in the 4th.

GB let up?? The game went to the wire no one let up.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
GB let up?? The game went to the wire no one let up.

They were up 28 to 13 going into the 4th quarter.

In the 4th quarter we had drives of 5:40 and 5:06. 10 and 11 plays each. The game got tied up, but Green Bay did not play well in the 4th.

CWR

Reaction score
They were up 28 to 13 going into the 4th quarter.

In the 4th quarter we had drives of 5:40 and 5:06. 10 and 11 plays each. The game got tied up, but Green Bay did not play well in the 4th.

Yes GB didnt play well in the fourth but maybe just maybe thats because we did actually play well. I dont get why we have to discredit Dak for his performance in the fourth. He played well, as he did most of his rookie season.

Unfortunately he has taken a step back this year. I dont care why either. He simply hasnt been good enough and didnt grow from his rookie year.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
precisely. I realise we are stuck with Garrett and Dak.. we are going to ride this hand right to the bottom.

Doesn't mean I have to like it :(

Yep. That's what is so hard to accept.

We are indeed going to be stuck with Garrett and Dak and it could get real ugly. We aren't going to win anything with Jason Garrett. I believe the majority of the board is on the same page as it concerns him. The man is just horrible at his job and has had plenty of time. Until we move on from him and this coaching staff, we will never have the prospects of being a consistent contender much less Super Bowl Champions.

As far as Dak goes, I am one of the people that thinks he is not the answer at Quarterback. I love his character, I love his work ethic and leadership but he lacks arm talent in my opinion. We will give him another year and Garrett will be here for the extended future.

jday

Reaction score
If they bring back the same cast of clowns next year (and they will) then this will be a very predictable ending
Really? Largely this same cast yielded a 12 & 4 season last year. So much for that logic...

dfense

Reaction score
Here's the rookie profile description on Dak's weekness.

Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

Is that not spot on? No improvement there that I can see. Teams are just going to come after Dak and tackle Zeke on the way.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would show him the door about 15 min after the Eagles game, if it were up to me. I would rather waste a year finding a QB then waste one with the QB we know is not the answer.