How much defensive turnover can we expect?

quickccc

Reaction score
Oh our defense will still suck. I don't think stephen know how to build a team.

-we're having issues getting a top DC entrenched here..
-.Getting stud turnover playmakers ....
- invest in stud vet in FA signings per Stephen . ...
-and we seem to have low regards for safeties, or top 1 tech DTs in the draft

:(

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
DE-Lawrence, Aldon*, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Crawford*, Carter

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.

DT-Hill, Gallimore, Woods*

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

LB-Lve, Jaylon, Lee*, Thomas*

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

CB-Diggs, Brown, Awuzie*, Lewis*, Canady

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

S-Woods*, Wilson, Thompson, Robinson

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-2 stop-gap fa starters, probably at DT & S
-1 to 2 plug and play impact starters (if picking in top 10)
-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.
G
I always shake my head at the junior GMs here.

The season is half over and.boom..you guys want to rearrange the desk chairs on the Titanic.

Save this stuff for April.

More will be apparent when we know the cap situation and who stays and who has to go.

Nobody at the Star except some far flung scouts are shuffling any player evals right now.

Slow down and let's watch the games and be happy we have any games to watch.

First things first..no?

You remind me of my first wife. No matter what was happening with our marriage she had to tinker with something..

New car..new house..new gym..new jewelry.

New husband.

She finally got that wish but she forgot to look in the mirror and see she wasn't as young nor as pretty as she once had been.

Surprise.

You get what I am hinting at?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Ironically Bills DT Ed Oliver has just one sack this year in 2020 ,..vs 5 sacks his rookie year.
Wonder what's gonna on with Oliver in a lesser year.
Oliver was a player the Cowboys reportedly coveted very much at draft time.

I haven't checked to see if sacks are down league-wide. It sure looks like the refs are letting the OL hold a lot more this year. Don't know the data on offensive holds this year vs. last year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
I haven't checked to see if sacks are down league-wide. It sure looks like the refs are letting the OL hold a lot more this year. Don't know the data on offensive holds this year vs. last year.

in fairness, interior DL usually it seems most take more than their first rookie to make bigger improvement, bigger impacts.
Much like Trysten Hill in his 2nd year.
i want to see how Brown and Kinlaw are at the end of their 2nd NFL seasons.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Defensive Keepers for 2021 IMO in particular order of importance:
Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Gallimore, Hill, LVE, Jaylon S, Diggs, A. Brown, D. Wilson...maybe R. Robinson.
I would let Sean Lee and Crawford go. I think Aldon Smith will be too expensive to keep for his age. Let Lewis, X Woods, Thompson, A. Woods go.
Needs: DTs, S, CBs, LBs...pretty much every position on D. Get plenty of D help in draft and be active in FA.

Besides the times Aldon Smith has publicly said how grateful he is for the Cowboys giving him another chance and in a interview I saw of him recently where again he said he was so grateful to Jones for giving him another chance, I'm betting that he will accept a very team friendly contract from the Cowboys.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-we're having issues getting a top DC entrenched here..
-.Getting stud turnover playmakers ....
- invest in stud vet in FA signings per Stephen . ...
-and we seem to have low regards for safeties, or top 1 tech DTs in the draft

:(

IMHO. The issue regarding defensive personnel was not addressed adequately.

They changed the type/style of DT but brought in a player they knew had big injury issue and a guy way overweight.

They let a solid safety leave only to replace him by a veteran they would cut before the season starts.

They let a really good CB walk. Replaced him with a washed up Worley and an exciting rookie who just isn't consistent yet. Diggs will be good it's just too much to ask his 1st year.

quickccc

Reaction score
He wasn't happy at all as he signed his tender right near the deadline. Team cannot guarantee him a starting spot nor not address the need prior to the draft. I actually expect to see two fa short-term starting DT's signed. They even might bring back McCoy to start at the 3.

to which i'm not enthusiastic about McCoy returning. For one, i want that 3 tech role to go to one of our young DTs Hill/Gallimore
and with McCoy, What's gonna happen differently than an aging DT who clearly had issues with his quad that was actually contract claused up
en route to missing season his very first day of camp?
McCoy was already damaged goods when he arrived here. :(

Cowboyny

Reaction score
to which i'm not enthusiastic about McCoy returning. For one, i want that 3 tech role to go to one of our young DTs Hill/Gallimore
and with McCoy, What's gonna happen differently than an aging DT who clearly had issues with his quad that was actually contract claused up
en route to missing season his very first day of camp?
McCoy was already damaged goods when he arrived here. :(
Is it an ongoing issue with his quad or one that was fixed by surgery. If it's still an issue, agree with you.

Verdict

Reaction score
DE-Lawrence, Aldon*, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Crawford*, Carter

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.
I agree they will try to keep Aldon on a reasonable deal. Crawford SHOULD BE GONE.
DT-Hill, Gallimore, Woods*

I'm still not sold on Hill. A few flashes in two years doesn't guarantee his return. Gallimore will be a building block for this defense going forward. Woods is a guy who would be OK as the 4th or 5th DT, but hes not good enough to be the starter, unless he is the weakest link on a very good team. That's not the COWBOYS.

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

LB-Lve, Jaylon, Lee*, Thomas*

LVE will be good. Jaylon--I could see him being a pro bowler or cut as soon as is practical. Neither would surprise me. Lee needs to become a paid coach, not a player. Thomas is ok. but should be depth, not in the starting conversation.

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

CB-Diggs, Brown, Awuzie*, Lewis*, Canady

I think Diggs and Brown will stay. I think the rest will likely not be on the team unless it is for camp fodder.

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

S-Woods*, Wilson, Thompson, Robinson

X Woods needs to be gone. Wilson is ok, but improvement is needed there too, unless you can't plug all the holes this year. Thompson is gone. Robinson? I don't get that one at all.

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-2 stop-gap fa starters, probably at DT & S
-1 to 2 plug and play impact starters (if picking in top 10)
-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.

I think you will see us draft 2 DB, maybe 3 in this draft.
I think you will see us grab a DT, probably in the top 2 rounds.
I think you will see us take a LB.
I also see us drafting an OT if the opportunity presents itsself. If that is Sewell, high, the defense looks a lot different.

Let's say Sewell is there at #3 or #4 overall, and we are on the clock. Can we pass up on a trade back that is still in the top 10 that gives us a first and a second this year AND a first round pick next year? Or a first, second and a third this year? I personally don't think so. I think we would trade back and fill holes.

G