How much hate is there for Romo?

blindzebra

Reaction score
I love how the so-called objective critics refer to anyone not buying the mythology as homers. I read that and the poster's opinion immediately loses all credibility.

One only needs to look at the big picture to see the truth. Romo's numbers in crunch time are as good or better than all the elite QBs. The trouble is that he has spent his entire career hamstrung by a lack of help. You play as many close games and have to carry a team in them you are going to have some "choke" moments.

The ironic part of all this is for years he was putting up MVP numbers with nobody putting him in the conversation all while completely carrying the team and this year when he is statistically the best QB in the league he is getting downgraded for having Murray.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tony Romo puts up good stats during the regular season but does substantialy worse in "win and in"/ playoff games. You can't be a great/elite qb without ever doing anything special in big games like that. He will get another chance to prove how great he is come the playoffs. If he doesn't show up, he will forver be remembered as a choker and won't sniff the hall.

Come on. Substanialy worse? A bit extreme. He didn't play in last years win or go home game. He was terrible in the Deadskins game. And he was great against the Giants a year prior.

Zordon

Reaction score
How many of those did he have last year? There could've been more but the only one that comes to mind is the Denver game.

he had 2 picks in the 4th quarter of the packers game.

he hasn't had THAT play that gets the haters rolling this year. so when people say he's doing the same thing he's always done, i disagree.

he's being a lot smarter with the ball. i think he's decided better to lay down and take a sack than to throw up a high risk ball. maybe that's why he's laying down a lot more this year.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Murray is running for less than 4 yards a carry in December.

Opposing defenses are doing a much better job of containing our run game.

They asked Romo to make them pay for that and he has annihilated them.

Those are facts.

So anyone answering a poll question "is Romo a legitimate MVP candidate this year" with NO is in fact football stupid.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Give him his due so far this year. Hope he keeps it up. I know we're undefeated on the road so far, but will be interested in seeing how Romo plays on the road in the playoffs if we get past the wildcard.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Give him his due so far this year. Hope he keeps it up. I know we're undefeated on the road so far, but will be interested in seeing how Romo plays on the road in the playoffs if we get past the wildcard.

I will be excited to see how he plays in all playoff games. I hope he miraculously plays amazing. Based on past history, I have low expectations though.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I will be excited to see how he plays in all playoff games. I hope he miraculously plays amazing. Based on past history, I have low expectations though.

Understandable. He did play well against the Eagles in '09 (both the season finale and wildcard) and I don't really fault him in '07 vs the Giants either. The '09 Vikings game as horrendous all the way around as well as several other late season games, like the '08 winner take all finale against Philly, and the more recent season enders at Wash and NYG.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
Remember that saying: "You don't get a second chance at a first impression?"

People are bad at closing their minds and assuming they will always be the way they were when they first heard about them. Compounded by Romo lost a lot of critical game - some his fault, but many just being on mediocre teams.

If I were Romo, privately I'd have a little chip on my shoulder about the hatin' and make them eat crow come February.

pastordug

Reaction score
Anyone who touts their "opinion" with complete disregard for reality, no matter the subject, it could be a History major talking about Directional Drilling, I don't care, is dumb.

Every fact, and everyone with a set of eyeballs (i'm willing to give the blind a pass here), knows Tony Romo is one of the best QB's in the NFL, and has been for quite a while.

That is indisputable. It's also strongly correlated to those who have no idea the responsibilities of any of our defensive players, and those who believe our salary cap is set at eleventy billion dollars.

Hate all you want, but your "opinion" (which is incorrectly called an opinion when it's just a blatantly incorrect fact), will be called out. And I will gladly show you how incorrect you are. I am your karma.

So let's use your "logic" and decide who is better: Jordan or Kobe? How about Jordan or Magic? Or Marino or Montana?

The point is no matter what your "facts" they are still subjective. You say Romo is one of the best due to ____________ (fill in the blank). I could say that to be in that category you have to have a ring. Or a better play-off record. Or whatever else I want since it is MY OPINION that a great QB is based on __________.

With that said personally I think Romo is a very good QB. Get a ring and get back to me. And please don't blame the front line o any one else. GET A RING.

gmoney112

Reaction score
So let's use your "logic" and decide who is better: Jordan or Kobe? How about Jordan or Magic? Or Marino or Montana?

The point is no matter what your "facts" they are still subjective. You say Romo is one of the best due to ____________ (fill in the blank). I could say that to be in that category you have to have a ring. Or a better play-off record. Or whatever else I want since it is MY OPINION that a great QB is based on __________.

With that said personally I think Romo is a very good QB. Get a ring and get back to me. And please don't blame the front line o any one else. GET A RING.

You're right. Romo snaps to himself, blocks for himself, plays defense, and catches his own passes. There are no other players on the team. In fact, we only have 1 active player on gamedays, and 52 inactive.

You compared similar players, players one could make a legitimate argument about being better in one way or another. How many QB's in the NFL right now could you put on the same level as Romo? Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees the epic choker, Roethlisberger (highly debatable but I'll throw him in)? The Matt Ryans, Cam Newtons, Staffords, etc. can't hold Romo's jock. Russel Wilson has a ring and might be the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. He has one Romo'esque game a season. If he was on the Cowboys we'd be 2-14.

The "Get a ring" mantra is so old. There isn't a single QB in the history of the NFL that didn't have the rest of the team step up in crunch time to get their ring. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the highest rated passer in the history of the NFL with no ring. Team game. SMH.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Ive been pretty critical of Romo at times, but its hard to ignore how well he has played this season. Especially down the stretch when the games meant the most.