How much would you pay Steele?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd let someone else pay him top 10 money. Infact depending how things go I might look to trade him if possible. if it looks like were winning the division i'd keep him for this year but he isn't worth 10+ a year so he can be a free agent and go get paid somewhere else.
The more people pay him, the better the Comp Pick we receive when he leaves.

For guys heading to free agency, it almost never makes sense to Pay Da Man.

Other teams set the market price.
To keep him, we have to match the market *plus* give up a Comp Pick. How is a player worth so much more for a team to *keep* than acquire?
They're not.
Let them walk.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If I'm Steele I'm going through free agency. Some team will probably offer more than the Cowboys.
Right now, he's an eight to ten year offensive tackle. Pay him up front and let your own offensive line develop with time together.

CCBoy

Reaction score

To keep him, we have to match the market *plus* give up a Comp Pick. How is a player worth so much more for a team to *keep* than acquire?
They're not.
Let them walk.
Walk one's own walk, and that goes for the Dallas Cowboys. He'll have 5-8 more good years, buy in on the talent and when the price is actually cheaper.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They're not.
Let them walk.
True but the following year and only up to a 3rd. Now if you are saying it's dumb to take less than a 3rd I'd agree. And Stephen isn't known for getting the most when trading his player so your prob right but I'd try. Worst they can do is nothing. Besides the boys should be able to make a run in the playoffs unless something really goes wrong in which Id keep him till years end regardless.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
He’ll get more than he’s worth. But that seems to be standard for the NFL these days.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would pay him $11.5 million for a 5 or 6 year deal. Like people say, a couple of years into his contract he will be a bargain. Give him a signing bonus spread out over $5 years and make his CAP number low the first 3 years of his deal.

Scotman

Reaction score
Yes but not a JAG like Steele.

Don't settle. You can get much better.
I can't tell you that I know enough about the nuances of the position to agree or disagree. I think he's far more than a JAG and will be hard to replace. But, I can only point to the improvement that he's shown and not something specific in his game. I'm definitely not qualified to put pay to his play.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I REALLY want to keep this dude......

dont care what people say hes really come into his own and i think this year he'll solidify himself as one of the top tackles
Get awesome Richard's out there and move on

Kwyn

Reaction score
I believe Steele has the potential to be top five at his position. Don't want to lose him. Him and Tyler can be a nice pair of tackles for years to come, maybe a top five pair in the league.
Top Five? Pretty rarefied company.

Steele is good, not great. I think fans are overrating him.

I want him to sign and it would be a bad hit to lose him, but paying him like an all-pro is a stretch.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If you don't pay Steele, you are probably going to lose him along with Tyron in the same offseason. That leaves you with one proven NFL tackle on the roster who may even have to be playing left guard half the season depending on line health.

Steele is going to pretty much be must-sign for Dallas unless they want to invest another 1st round pick into the OL or make a move for a premium free agent. I really do not see them letting him out the door if they can help it.
Yep, and add that Biadasz is a FA and Zack is getting to the 'touching wood' age we need to maintain some continuity.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
I REALLY want to keep this dude......

dont care what people say hes really come into his own and i think this year he'll solidify himself as one of the top tackles

I'm with you. We built this guy up and it's now paying dividends. Make him a legit offer. He continues to improve.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Mike McGlinchey just got 17+ AAV.

Steele is going to get that, or close to it, on the open market.

JayFord

Reaction score
I'm with you. We built this guy up and it's now paying dividends. Make him a legit offer. He continues to improve.
Exactly....an UDFA with no camp, no preseason and thrust in because of injuries....his rookie season was actually ok...and for what was going on in 2020 ok is far better than it shouldve been for him

2021 he took a big leap forward and 2022 he was a good tackle and getting better each game

im so proud of this guy

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mike McGlinchey just got 17+ AAV.

Steele is going to get that, or close to it, on the open market.
You might be right. McGlinchey is viewed as a fine starter, but not necessarily a great player. In my opinion, Steele is pretty clearly the better player (pff would agree too). He is also two years younger. If he comes back from his injury the same player, he is going to definitely be in position to cash in.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You might be right. McGlinchey is viewed as a fine starter, but not necessarily a great player. In my opinion, Steele is pretty clearly the better player (pff would agree too). He is also two years younger. If he comes back from his injury the same player, he is going to definitely be in position to cash in.
Yea the injury makes it a little bit of a toss up, but he's as good as McGlinchey.

I would not be shocked if Steele got closer to $20m

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

They're not.
Let them walk.
Acquiring a good player in free agency will lose you comp picks as well. So you're only other option is going after the scraps or drafting (like the Cowboys tend to do to keep all their comp picks).

Cowboyny

Reaction score

T-RO

Reaction score
I would pay him $11.5 million for a 5 or 6 year deal.
Won't get it done.
Yes but not a JAG like Steele.

Don't settle. You can get much better.
You have no clue on Steele. PFF rates him high. Zack Martin sings his praises. The offense was great when he played the first 12 games of the year in '22. He's average as pass protector, but awesome as run blocker.

The market price will put the exclamation point on it: NFL insiders highly esteem Terence Steele

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You have no clue on Steele. PFF rates him high. Zack Martin sings his praises. The offense was great when he played the first 12 games of the year in '22. He's average as pass protector, but awesome as run blocker.

The market price will put the exclamation point on it: NFL insiders highly esteem Terence Steele
Steele is pretty much unanimously a top-10 right tackle. His PFF grade is approaching elite and he is still an ascending player. His ability in the run game is among the best in the league, while his pass blocking is average and improving every single season. People forget that he was a total developmental project and really a bit of a mess during his first year or two in the league. This is a player with freaky physical traits that have begun to translate into his on field play. You don't let that walk if at all possible.

NFL execs are going to be all over Steele if Dallas lets him become available. He will get a top 5 or 10 deal for his position.

Last edited: