How much would you pay Steele?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Steele is pretty much unanimously a top-10 right tackle. His PFF grade is approaching elite and he is still an ascending player. His ability in the run game is among the best in the league, while his pass blocking is average and improving every single season. People forget that he was a total developmental project and really a bit of a mess during his first year or two in the league. This is a player with freaky physical traits that have begun to translate into his on field play. You don't let that walk if at all possible.

NFL execs are going to be all over Steele if Dallas lets him become available. He will get a top 5 or 10 deal for his position.
He's getting there but still some holes in his game.
Over the 2 years, he's only given up 3 sacks and 9 hits but allowed 51 pressures.

But I agree, he's def getting a top-10 deal

gtb1943

Reaction score
Won't get it done.

You have no clue on Steele. PFF rates him high. Zack Martin sings his praises. The offense was great when he played the first 12 games of the year in '22. He's average as pass protector, but awesome as run blocker.

The market price will put the exclamation point on it: NFL insiders highly esteem Terence Steele
PFF means nothing. Zach is a loyal teammate and will not trash anyone ever.
He is only adequate as a pass blocker and that is his weakness; and I do not see that improving much

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yea the injury makes it a little bit of a toss up, but he's as good as McGlinchey.

I would not be shocked if Steele got closer to $20m
McGlinchey has a pedigree and is considered better by those that matter.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone is overpaid anymore in the NFL; but I would not give Steele $12 million a year/

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Over the 2 years, he's only given up 3 sacks and 9 hits but allowed 51 pressures.

Yep. Totally agree. I think we were starting to see him really make strides in pass pro last season. In the past, his feet would really get lost and he struggled to get his body into good position. He looked much more fluid and comfortable last season. With good positioning combined with his length in pass sets, people are going to have a hard time getting past him. He is still somewhat vulnerable to the power rush due to his lighter build, but I prefer athletic linemen over blobs any day. If he can continue to elevate that part of his game to pair with his elite run blocking, sheesh.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Steele is a guy you want to keep in the building. It's really, really hard to find good tackles.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yep. Totally agree. I think we were starting to see him really make strides in pass pro last season. If he can continue to elevate that part of his game to pair with his elite run blocking, sheesh.
I saw no improvement as regards pass protection; though I do not put a lot of cred into what are called pressures. That is such a subjective stat; sort of like calling errors in baseball.
No one views it the same way. And what is a pressure to someone like Brady is not with someone like Mahoomes

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I saw no improvement as regards pass protection; though I do not put a lot of cred into what are called pressures. That is such a subjective stat; sort of like calling errors in baseball.
No one views it the same way. And what is a pressure to someone like Brady is not with someone like Mahoomes
If you don't put a lot of cred into pressures, then Steele only allowing 3 sacks and 9 hits would put him in the elite pass blocking category (which he is not). I mostly agree though. As long as the QB isn't getting sacked and hit, I can live with the pressures.

He is vulnerable to the power rush and getting pushed back into the QBs face. His issues aren't so much people getting around him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
McGlinchey has a pedigree and is considered better by those that matter.
A pedigree? What because he went to Notre Dame? lol.

He's a great run blocker and so-so pass blocker. Same player as Steele. The rest is just noise.

T-RO

Reaction score
"Steele may be the best run-blocking tackle in league,''
-Duke Manyweather, Offensive Line Scouting and Development |#OLMasterminds™️

In discussing who was better: Tyler Smith or Terence Steele?

T-RO

Reaction score
I saw no improvement as regards pass protection;

"As everyone has marveled at the play of rookie left tackle Tyler Smith, Steele has quietly been a rock on the right side."

"In three years, a struggling undrafted rookie blossomed into one of the NFL's best tackles."

"It’s evident that Steele hasn’t been merely a good run blocker—he has been an absolute menace."

"His allowed pressure rate has been above average as well. That solid pass protection combined with his high-end run blocking was enough to put him at 15th in Marcus Mosher’s list of the top 25 tackles in the NFL just last week."

-Dan Morse, D Magazine

CWR

Reaction score
Yes but not a JAG like Steele.

Don't settle. You can get much better.

You're still dug into LC being great and Steele a JAG huh? Do we also still believe Wentz to be the next Brady?

It's OK to change your opinion big fella, even if you were outspoken.

Creeper

Reaction score
Steele is pretty much unanimously a top-10 right tackle. His PFF grade is approaching elite and he is still an ascending player. His ability in the run game is among the best in the league, while his pass blocking is average and improving every single season. People forget that he was a total developmental project and really a bit of a mess during his first year or two in the league. This is a player with freaky physical traits that have begun to translate into his on field play. You don't let that walk if at all possible.

NFL execs are going to be all over Steele if Dallas lets him become available. He will get a top 5 or 10 deal for his position.
Steele is an exception run blocker. His pass blocking is adequate.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You may be right but no way in hell gets over $15M from Stephen ......... not happening (lol)
Idk, I wouldn't rule it out.

Assuming this is Tyron's last year, you have $12m cap space opening up which is plenty for a $19-20m AAV. With Tyler on a rookie deal, you're still getting terrific value at the OT overall.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
$11MM value??? No way. Guy is talented but he is a UDFA coming off a knee injury. They should offer him a nice bridge deal but no way give him a long term deal. I think that’s $9-10MM per and amp up
the guaranteed money to keep him happy. 2/3 year deal. If he comes back and plays well he is getting a max deal $15-20MM for a RT at 29. That’s some career for an undrafted guy. $11 plus would be silly.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yep, and that's why we may struggles getting it done.....these 2nd tier players are those signability issue as their agents know that one of the 31 teams is willing to overpay. I wouldnt be surprised if we'd wait to see what we've got in Waletzko and Asim. Trying to sign Steele at the moment is just the Jones' hoping for an injury discount.