How Stoked Would You Be If Jerry fires McCarthy after this season?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Fires McCarthy after this season,
Trades two 1st's for Payton, BUT:
He steps down and gives GM duties to his new Head Coach?

Not saying that is remotely going to happen and I know people are going to say "Not going to happen" all throughout this thread, but this is a what-if thing.

Anyone on board with this scenario?

And wow, I never start threads! Probably because I'm lame at it.
I gave you the confidence to start threads, playboi!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wait, Payton isn't coaching this season, is he? We wouldn't need to trade anything, just pay him. But I don't know that he'd be any more successful than Mike.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yorick? Hmm, nobody's ever accused me of being just bones...a fool, yes.

The thought of Jerry stepping down is nice, but do you think it would last more than one failed season? And would Stevie take over after that???
Just a thought experiment.
Something Einstein would use regularly.

Look, I'm not the best Thread starter!
Hence why this is maybe my 3rd one in the entire time I've been here.

Corso

Reaction score
Wait, Payton isn't coaching this season, is he? We wouldn't need to trade anything, just pay him. But I don't know that he'd be any more successful than Mike.
No, but he's still under contract.
He's owned by another franchise.
I'm not going to bring in the philosophical questions of said ownership.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just a thought experiment.
Something Einstein would use regularly.

Look, I'm not the best Thread starter!
Hence why this is maybe my 3rd one in the entire time I've been here.
It's a good thread, if for no other reason than being something different!

Corso

Reaction score
I gave you the confidence to start threads, playboi!!!
yay-yes.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Fires McCarthy after this season,
Trades two 1st's for Payton, BUT:
He steps down and gives GM duties to his new Head Coach?

Not saying that is remotely going to happen and I know people are going to say "Not going to happen" all throughout this thread, but this is a what-if thing.

Anyone on board with this scenario?

And wow, I never start threads! Probably because I'm lame at it.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Payton is way worse than McCarthy.

I would rather keep McCarthy and Quinn.

Hardline

Reaction score
We already have a head couch that has a resume very similar to Payton.
I'm not giving ANYTHING to acquire him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not stoked at all, and I don't understand why I would be. McC is not even close to being the problem.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not stoked at all, and I don't understand why I would be. McC is not even close to being the problem.
not stoked because the same failed template is in place and that is Jerry and stevie. 26 YEARS running..

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mike M is only as good as the players he is given 2 coach. Sean would get the same results.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Firing McCarthy by itself, no. Then you've got to start over with a new coach, new system on a team that's not currently championship caliber.

Not like Seifert taking over the 49ers or Switzer taking over the Cowboys, e.g.

But any scenario that gets rid of Jerry as the gm is a good one...

kskboys

Reaction score
Mike M is only as good as the players he is given 2 coach. Sean would get the same results.
Unlike many on this board, I'm not a huge Sean Payton fan. His super bowl win was very flukish. If Favre takes 7 steps, NO never makes it. He runs a great O and can definitely get the QB some numbers, but in his lone super bowl year, NO ran the ball prolifically.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Unlike many on this board, I'm not a huge Sean Payton fan. His super bowl win was very flukish. If Favre takes 7 steps, NO never makes it. He runs a great O and can definitely get the QB some numbers, but in his lone super bowl year, NO ran the ball prolifically.

Agreed, he had a multiple 5,000+ yardage quarterback for years, only had one SB. If Manning makes a better throw, then the Saints don't get the pick-6 and likely the Colts win that SB.

Same reasoning as for players like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, etc. supposedly all-time great "elite" quarterbacks yet only 1 SB win each (though Rodgers could still get more). "Hitch your wagon to a star" is nice, but it's very difficult for one person, player or coach, to drag a team by the scruff of the neck to multiple SBs.

And just as a reminder, no coach has ever won a SB with two different teams, though Parcells came close, just something to consider...

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed, he had a multiple 5,000+ yardage quarterback for years, only had one SB. If Manning makes a better throw, then the Saints don't get the pick-6 and likely the Colts win that SB.

Same reasoning as for players like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, etc. supposedly all-time great "elite" quarterbacks yet only 1 SB win each (though Rodgers could still get more). "Hitch your wagon to a star" is nice, but it's very difficult for one person, player or coach, to drag a team by the scruff of the neck to multiple SBs.

And just as a reminder, no coach has ever won a SB with two different teams, though Parcells came close, just something to consider...
Also, Payton is ancient. Does he even have anything left? Does he even want to coach? The obsession on this board w/ SPayton is just weird.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Also, Payton is ancient. Does he even have anything left? Does he even want to coach? The obsession on this board w/ SPayton is just weird.

And historically coaches that win SBs do so relatively early in their career. Landry was a bit of an exception since he started off with an expansion team and got an extension when most coaches in his position got fired. But taking away Landry's first, say, 5 years to build the team, then he went to 5 SBs in his "first" 12 seasons, in the next 11 never.

Pretty hard to stay on the cutting edge of coaching for decades...