How the Cowboys can make cap space from Patrick Walker

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

That's a few of the ways. There are others ... and the Joneses will use them as needed to add low-cost FAs. They just haven't needed to do it yet because of their FA strategy/philosophy, which includes not buying while the prices are high.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Yeppers.
If they want to create room, they can.

This all is starting to feel like when they bit the bullet on some contracts years ago and then Stephen Cap Boy Jones took over the purse strings and FA has become pretty much null and void.
My thought is that this FA season was all based on the Dak situation. If negotiations were going to go well they would push the bills up the road.

If Dak negotiations didn't go well then they were goign to go all in by pushing their current chips in the middle and seeing how tihis team did with a whole bunch of one year contracts that would free them to wipe the slate clean next year and start all over again with a fairly clean cap table.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That makes 27 Million dollars the Cowboys could have had at the start of free agency to go ALL-IN.
While they never are a Day 1 FA team there was zero reason to not announce the Diggs, Steele, Wilson moves Monday.
Gallup they have signaled is coming.

I can understand holding line on Dak.
Just pay him out this year and let it go.

But making zero moves makes zero sense???
They won't pay Dak a roster bonus then cut him.
There is no plan I can see here for this year that makes sense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That makes 27 Million dollars the Cowboys could have had at the start of free agency to go ALL-IN.
While they never are a Day 1 FA team there was zero reason to not announce the Diggs, Steele, Wilson moves Monday.

Totally agree, a decision has to be made on either end, cannot play middle ground which can cost you either high draft capital or a top 10 QB.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Really not enough money to do anything
Well if you factor in that Dak wants a restructure that gives him 60 million AAV then yes there is a huge problem signing guys like Parsons,Lamb, and Bland in the future.

John813

Reaction score

Yup...I will keep posting this as well for the folks who want to blame dak for why we aren't doing anything lol

And with Moss, that 2 year 8mil contract wouldn't be 4 & 4. It could of been 3-5 or 2.5-5.5 or even lower if one void year was added etc.
Just a F.O. who doesn't care enough.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Hey, with cap space fully manageable for the next five seasons...by all means under perform and root for over performers.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we are all overlooking a piece of the Jones Scam on the fans. When we see the cap maxed out, we think, "Look their trying their best to build a winner" BS. In reality they are spending less CASH on the team than most teams. I think they welcome dead money against the cap. That means they are "forced" to spend less actual cash. When you have a team with a fan base that spends spends spends regardless of the success of the team, why change the formula. In their Financial meetings, they can show, We spend less than almost every team in actual cash, YET have made 5 times more money than anyone else. This is ALL that matters to the Jones crew. The sooner we all realize this, the better we can lower our expectations to where they belong.