How the Cowboys can make cap space from Patrick Walker

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
+1 ....this is why you question their motivation and/or plan. They certainly can't use Dak issues as an excuse. They had plenty of time to do the restructuring to be ready.
Right. I am just trying to find the plan here.
Let me delude myself with hope at least.
But you(Dallas Cowboys front orffice) gotta give me something.

You can't tank, can't go all in, merely get slightly worse through attrition and thats it???

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

I am not buying that BS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!

They could have restructured several contracts to free up money....

They chose not to.....is the bottom line.

This front office / coaching staff has no clue how to assemble a team. Hell....even last season....we were short on personal on offense....and it showed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well if you factor in that Dak wants a restructure that gives him 60 million AAV then yes there is a huge problem signing guys like Parsons,Lamb, and Bland in the future.
You’re letting the media who are saying what he should get put words in your mouth. To my knowledge, Dak has never said a word, and Jerry hasn’t even asked.

kskboys

Reaction score
But that's dumb then. Just cut bait and start over now. Throw Lance into the fire. You also shouldn't have brought back the HC either for one last year. You should have canned him and brought in a new guy with a new vision.

If the plan is to just tank the 2024 season and roll with what we have with no additional help, that's just wasting a season.
You already know that I agree. I'd have Dak on the block if it were me, and just start over.

Smith22

Reaction score
That makes 27 Million dollars the Cowboys could have had at the start of free agency to go ALL-IN.
While they never are a Day 1 FA team there was zero reason to not announce the Diggs, Steele, Wilson moves Monday.
Gallup they have signaled is coming.

I can understand holding line on Dak.
Just pay him out this year and let it go.

But making zero moves makes zero sense???
They won't pay Dak a roster bonus then cut him.
There is no plan I can see here for this year that makes sense.
They could also pay Lamb, which should've happened already.

A new Lamb deal would significantly lower his current cap number.

kskboys

Reaction score
You’re letting the media who are saying what he should get put words in your mouth. To my knowledge, Dak has never said a word, and Jerry hasn’t even asked.
Since Dak held out for a huge deal last time, it simply follows that he'll do so again.

HanD

Reaction score
It really doesn't. Cap hits are spread so far out in the future and cap increases make it so manageable that is just the way teams do business.
Plus Steele was far better the last month.
You aren't writing him off because he was bad coming off of surgery and missing much of the off-season.
They signed him because they loved his work ethic.
i'm not writing him off but for me, i'm not extending someone unless i'm sure i want them to be a part of the future long term. i get the game of pushing money down the road but you do it for enough players and if they get hurt, retire or you want to cut them, the bill comes due. it's a credit card game and i'm just more conservative and only want to restructure if we need the space and if i see the player being around longer.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Right. I am just trying to find the plan here.
Let me delude myself with hope at least.
But you(Dallas Cowboys front orffice) gotta give me something.

You can't tank, can't go all in, merely get slightly worse through attrition and thats it???
Yep....it's odd
I mean they have always taken the conservative approach to free agency, so that's no surprise but how they are handling Dak and the massive cap hit is mind-boggling. At this point, we can only go with what we know. We know Jerry said last week they didn't need Dak's extension and it is something many fans overlooked, he went out of his way to credit MM for a lot of Dak's success last season.

Now imagine being Dak and Todd France and hearing that. My point is I think some serious issues that could come to a head before the draft....JMO

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They could also pay Lamb, which should've happened already.

A new Lamb deal would significantly lower his current cap number.
No doubt these above are LAY UPS.
Like all these can happen without anyone even taking a deep breath.
No press conference, no passing the magic pen.
Just no reason at all to skip these.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Fans are irrelevant to the Jones Family,any other franchise would make drastic changes after 28 years of zero success,unless fan behaviour changes they JUST DONT CARE.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i'm not writing him off but for me, i'm not extending someone unless i'm sure i want them to be a part of the future long term. i get the game of pushing money down the road but you do it for enough players and if they get hurt, retire or you want to cut them, the bill comes due. it's a credit card game and i'm just more conservative and only want to restructure if we need the space and if i see the player being around longer.
I hate credit card spending too but in this case the interest rate is well below inflation.
i.e. you get more for your money now.
4.9M on Steele divided by 2 future years is a drop in the bucket but it buys a legit starter this year.
The Cowboys are not going to have a window open forever.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you weren’t going to restructure Dak’s deal before everyone signed elsewhere, you sure don’t do it after.

I’m holding onto that as my silver lining. That they might finally get out from under a deal that gave all leverage to player and agent.

HanD

Reaction score
I hate credit card spending too but in this case the interest rate is well below inflation.
i.e. you get more for your money now.
4.9M on Steele divided by 2 future years is a drop in the bucket but it buys a legit starter this year.
The Cowboys are not going to have a window open forever.
i guess the question is does the front office think we have a window still or have the come to the conclusion that some on this board are at that can't win with MM and dak unless he takes under market value...

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I think I’m starting to understand what the cowboys are doing. In a strange way, I kinda agree with it. If they are doing what I think they are.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think I’m starting to understand what the cowboys are doing. In a strange way, I kinda agree with it. If they are doing what I think they are.
I'd love to hear this! Please explain.
I mean this in all seriousness because I can not figure out anything that makes logical sense.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
That’s not true at all. You can leave Daks contract alone and net $25 million

Bring back Tyron Smith (1 year, $8 million), D’onta Forrman (1 year, $3 million), Bobby Wagner (1 year, $9 million) Jourdan Lewis (2 years, $10-15 million and still have a few million in money to spend.

Releasing LVE and Rush nets you another $5 million, so let’s say $5-8 million left.

But what about the rookies? Gallup nets you 9.5 post June to cover that.

So you essentially filled RB LT MLB NCB pre draft leaving your draft needs as RB2, WR Depth, LB Depth etc

This is all without extending Dak
Exactly!! None of this is hard!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i guess the question is does the front office think we have a window still or have the come to the conclusion that some on this board are at that can't win with MM and dak unless he takes under market value...
If they have come to that conclusion there are tons of moves they can make.
They have lots of insanely valuable trade assets to move if so desired.
Instead they have legitimately done nothing.
They are not signaling a red flag nor are they all-in.
They are lets run it back minus a few good players.
Strange.