How the heck is Philbin back again?

LittleD

Reaction score
Fat Man McCarthy is the HC and Jerry is giving him all the rope he wants in his last season. No SB, no Fat Man.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fat Man McCarthy is the HC and Jerry is giving him all the rope he wants in his last season. No SB, no Fat Man.

I think it will depend a lot of how this team fairs and not necessarily a SB but advancement in post season. I do agree you hire a coach you allow him the staff in which to work with.

LittleD

Reaction score
I think it will depend a lot of how this team fairs and not necessarily a SB but advancement in post season. I do agree you hire a coach you allow him the staff in which to work with.

With this off-season and the perception that the FO feels that last year was the year and it was an epic fail, the FO is starting the process of rebuilding the roster. It may take 3 years to offload all the bloated contracts and decide
which players are dogs to continue with. The players on last seasons team started to make business decisions after the Broncos and Chiefs games last season. You could see the fear in their eyes when SF came out of the tunnel.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
With this off-season and the perception that the FO feels that last year was the year and it was an epic fail, the FO is starting the process of rebuilding the roster. It may take 3 years to offload all the bloated contracts and decide
which players are dogs to continue with. The players on last seasons team started to make business decisions after the Broncos and Chiefs games last season. You could see the fear in their eyes when SF came out of the tunnel.

I did not see fear in their eyes, I do think this team tightens up when facing top competition and until or unless they can go and win they will continue to play with doubt.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
... ..supposedly, has 20 yrs of XP he brought with him. Dallas was most penalized team of 21'.

Adding fuel to fire, Dallas OL led league in holding penalties. Top ten in false starts.

I understand he's MM's buddy. I thought Jones we're serious about winning?

What say you?
:hammer::hammer:

I've been calling for his ouster since Mike McCarthy convinced the Jones' to hire him in 2020. What a colossal and costly mistake it's been so far.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones' are blameworthy for a ton of things but they don't have anything to do with in game adjustments or calling plays.
If you think those coaches do not process "what do the Joneses want here?" as part of their job, then you are correct. The GM freely admitted to getting the game plan every week before the game, why do you think that is?

As far as who starts and the playing time, I think they are directly involved through the HC. They make it known what they want. How many HC's, OC's and RBC's play an injured RB who is obviously not 100% over another? The Joneses tell the HC which stars they want to shine.

Have you ever heard any HC, on any level of the game, say he had nothing to do with the play calling after a game? Why would he do that? Was that his decision or was he ordered to stay out of it?

I think most owners influence their GM's in what kind of team they want because they want butts in seats but I think the Joneses take the extra step just like PT Barnum did with his ringmasters.

How many other GM's make the injury announcements and who's in/who's out? None, not even Crazy Al did that.

The level of involvement, overtly, by this owner is unmatched in sports history, do we think it stops there. "Socks to jocks" and a HC that makes him comfortable.

LittleD

Reaction score
If you think those coaches do not process "what do the Joneses want here?" as part of their job, then you are correct. The GM freely admitted to getting the game plan every week before the game, why do you think that is?

As far as who starts and the playing time, I think they are directly involved through the HC. They make it known what they want. How many HC's, OC's and RBC's play an injured RB who is obviously not 100% over another? The Joneses tell the HC which stars they want to shine.

Have you ever heard any HC, on any level of the game, say he had nothing to do with the play calling after a game? Why would he do that? Was that his decision or was he ordered to stay out of it?

I think most owners influence their GM's in what kind of team they want because they want butts in seats but I think the Joneses take the extra step just like PT Barnum did with his ringmasters.

How many other GM's make the injury announcements and who's in/who's out? None, not even Crazy Al did that.

The level of involvement, overtly, by this owner is unmatched in sports history, do we think it stops there. "Socks to jocks" and a HC that makes him comfortable.

Right on. Jerry is not paying any player top money to sit on the bench. If he makes bank, he plays. Jerry makes sure his high paid stars play before the crowds. Fat Man McCarthy better pay attention. He's on a short fuse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not see fear in their eyes, I do think this team tightens up when facing top competition and until or unless they can go and win they will continue to play with doubt.
I do not think it is a team in the standard application of that term. This is a gathering of individuals that a coaching staff is trying to form into a team with an owner that wants stars. These players think they have already arrived just being Cowboys and that was put in play before Booger bought the team.

This area has always been Cowboys country and they are put on pedestals before they really accomplish anything. They arrive with celebrity status. Can't blame a bunch of 20-23 year old's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I do not think it is a team in the standard application of that term. This is a gathering of individuals that a coaching staff is trying to form into a team with an owner that wants stars. These players think they have already arrived just being Cowboys and that was put in play before Booger bought the team.

This area has always been Cowboys country and they are put on pedestals before they really accomplish anything. They arrive with celebrity status. Can't blame a bunch of 20-23 year old's.

I don't see it that way. I think they know how they have fared vs top teams, they know what the outside world says. I think only winning vs top teams can build confidence. I think if this team can go 500 vs top teams will go a long way.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right on. Jerry is not paying any player top money to sit on the bench. If he makes bank, he plays. Jerry makes sure his high paid stars play before the crowds. Fat Man McCarthy better pay attention. He's on a short fuse.
I think he knows and from his post game comments and those made about the Payton in the wings, I think this is far worse than he was expecting.

Garrett was like family from the beginning, he and the oldest son became friends when he was a backup. Payton became friends with the family when he was an assistant coach.

What does this tell us about the Joneses' respect for the chain of command that must be present in all endeavors requiring team work?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
... ..supposedly, has 20 yrs of XP he brought with him. Dallas was most penalized team of 21'.

Adding fuel to fire, Dallas OL led league in holding penalties. Top ten in false starts.

What say you?
Can't get **** out of a rocking horse.

If we'd kept the same O-Line after Philbin couldn't the best out of Williams and Collins then I'd see the problem.

The fact that Philbin can get the best out of some players (Steele) indicates he's worth giving a chance, especially with players he wants (and assumingly can get the best out of). Well he's got the 1st RD pick he probably had a say in drafting along with competition at Center (Lindstrom).

Philbin is on the hot seat, he won't get the same support if the O-Line fails again, but as we did with Quinn as least judge him on HIS GUY's

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see it that way. I think they know how they have fared vs top teams, they know what the outside world says. I think only winning vs top teams can build confidence. I think if this team can go 500 vs top teams will go a long way.
But that is how they become a team. They become better by playing the best. It's like golf and tennis coaches, facing better competition will either lift a player's game or reveal what is missing.

The big bad Niners were coming to town, the NFL bullies that had schooled the Rams on toughness and imposing their will on other teams. How did this team respond to that? As a team? They got punched in the face and failed to respond except when they tried hitting harder.

Any team coming into your home stadium like they were, cocky and confident, is a HC's dream for getting his team up. "These guys are coming here to embarrass you in front of your family, friends and fans. They don't want to just take your lunch money, they want to make you watch them spend it".

How did they respond? Not only did they get punched and hit the mat hard, they added more mistakes than any Cowboys playoff team in history and helped the opponent defeat them. That is not a team.

These posts condemning the coaching for the penalties really miss the problem, only the team stops that on the field. Did you see any player in Gregory's face while he was laughing after making really stupid mistakes? Hell, at least the Commander DL had the pride to go after each other because one knew the other wasn't giving his all.

Do you think other really good teams are going to just shrug their shoulders and go line up again while 14 penalties are being committed in a must win game? Did they really even care that much about winning?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But that is how they become a team. They become better by playing the best. It's like golf and tennis coaches, facing better competition will either lift a player's game or reveal what is missing.

The big bad Niners were coming to town, the NFL bullies that had schooled the Rams on toughness and imposing their will on other teams. How did this team respond to that? As a team? They got punched in the face and failed to respond except when they tried hitting harder.

Any team coming into your home stadium like they were, cocky and confident, is a HC's dream for getting his team up. "These guys are coming here to embarrass you in front of your family, friends and fans. They don't want to just take your lunch money, they want to make you watch them spend it".

How did they respond? Not only did they get punched and hit the mat hard, they added more mistakes than any Cowboys playoff team in history and helped the opponent defeat them. That is not a team.

These posts condemning the coaching for the penalties really miss the problem, only the team stops that on the field. Did you see any player in Gregory's face while he was laughing after making really stupid mistakes? Hell, at least the Commander DL had the pride to go after each other because one knew the other wasn't giving his all.

Do you think other really good teams are going to just shrug their shoulders and go line up again while 14 penalties are being committed in a must win game? Did they really even care that much about winning?

I think there are plenty of players who care about winning. I do think this team needs to step up and take down some of the top teams, in doing so I think it builds confidence they will need to get to where they want to go. Until you actually do it there will always be doubt.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there are plenty of players who care about winning. I do think this team needs to step up and take down some of the top teams, in doing so I think it builds confidence they will need to get to where they want to go. Until you actually do it there will always be doubt.
Agree but is this new? How long have we been discussing the level of competition that this team faces and how they respond?

If you have a good team, they respond well to facing another good team. They're like racehorses in that regard.

The doubt is there until they remove it. They're the boxer who rules the undercard but when it comes time to stand up against the top of the class, they fold. This is not an anomaly, it is the trait of this team.

I agree, there are some that want to win badly but not enough. The fact they would tolerate what Williams and Gregory were doing in that game and not address it, speaks to their ability to be a team.

I hope that Parsons evolves to the enforcer role because they do not have a player on D that is that because he would not have allowed a player to laugh off hurting his own team with stupidity.

Doomsday, I am not disagreeing with you at all, in fact, I completely agree about the need for that. Where I disagree is this being that team to fix that. I do not see the leadership on this team to accomplish that, at the coaching or playing level and certainly not at management, where all of this begins.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agree but is this new? How long have we been discussing the level of competition that this team faces and how they respond?

If you have a good team, they respond well to facing another good team. They're like racehorses in that regard.

The doubt is there until they remove it. They're the boxer who rules the undercard but when it comes time to stand up against the top of the class, they fold. This is not an anomaly, it is the trait of this team.

I agree, there are some that want to win badly but not enough. The fact they would tolerate what Williams and Gregory were doing in that game and not address it, speaks to their ability to be a team.

I hope that Parsons evolves to the enforcer role because they do not have a player on D that is that because he would not have allowed a player to laugh off hurting his own team with stupidity.

Doomsday, I am not disagreeing with you at all, in fact, I completely agree about the need for that. Where I disagree is this being that team to fix that. I do not see the leadership on this team to accomplish that, at the coaching or playing level and certainly not at management, where all of this begins.

I get that, this team needs to prove to themselves they can go out and play with the best. I actually think they got a boost off the tampa bay game despite the fact they lost but doubt still remained. As for tolerating Williams? they benched him and yes he returned because he was the better option.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that, this team needs to prove to themselves they can go out and play with the best. I actually think they got a boost off the tampa bay game despite the fact they lost but doubt still remained. As for tolerating Williams? they benched him and yes he returned because he was the better option.
If he was the better option, is it the OLC's fault or those that selected him?

These OLC's pretty much all have the same manuals and teaching techniques. Maybe the blame should rest with the student instead of the teacher?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As stated in another thread, how we know Phiphin hasn't weren't warning MM and Jerry/Stephen about replacing CW and Collins and didn't have enough mustard. You can argue, that both players had issues BEFORE MM/Phiphin hiring. Ever think it's possible Stephen and Jerry told him/MM to coach them the best they could coz there was no way they were going to be released before 2022.

I know fans don't hear it but there's a ton of behind the scene politicking goes on between coaches and management regarding players playing time, roster spots, cap space, etc that NEVER gets reported.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

What say you?

so do you think the coach hasnt taught them not to hold? Do you think the coaches have went over film with them all the time and discussed penalties and false starts? you guys are hilarious. Coaches, all of them are about the same. Some get lucky and get all pro types handed to them in the draft. You think Reggie White's D line coach was responsible for Reggie being Reggie? if so, lets go hire that guy out of the retirement home.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If he was the better option, is it the OLC's fault or those that selected him?

These OLC's pretty much all have the same manuals and teaching techniques. Maybe the blame should rest with the student instead of the teacher?

I think it was more or less a lack of option. I think to an extent the coach always takes some blame with the failure of a player that he was unable to get the most out of that player. Steele an undrafted player was able to learn and improve under Phibin, the play of Steele in 2020 season was vastly different than how he played in 2021, I give credit to Philbin and a lot of credit to Steele for putting in the work and improving his play.