Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean you can use motion?
If you look at Chiefs and rams they use a ton of motion
I love watching the chiefs offense
They run great screens and run screens to 3 players on one snap
We depend on our guys beating their guys
No reason to actually try to fool them

Wha? Did you read what happened? The rams didn't have to do anything but run up the gut b/c they knew what the DL was going to do on 90% of the snaps. If you know that a stunt is coming and from which side, its not real hard to figure out where the giant hole is going to open up for the rbs.

DominantD

Reaction score
You think a cowboy record 273 rushing yards given up was just the result of losing man vs man battles ? It is a HUGE advantage for the offense to know where the holes are going to be. Don't ya think? Don't take my word for it. Listen to what the rams are saying.

Yes, I do think this. But your post is still very valid. We were outcoached and total unprepared to make any adjustments. Your post is correct. But we got whipped man on man IMO.

conner01

Reaction score
Wha? Did you read what happened? The rams didn't have to do anything but run up the gut b/c they knew what the DL was going to do on 90% of the snaps. If you know that a stunt is coming and from which side, its not real hard to figure out where the giant hole is going to open up for the rbs.
How often do you think we stunt
It was more than just knowing when we stunt
They used motion to get the LB out of position
They completely out coached our defensive staff

superonyx

Reaction score
I'm sure this was a valid consideration on the some of the plays. But even if they knew when we weren't going to stunt, or if they knew this was one on one blocking, we were blown off the ball. It was physical domination man vs. man. Rams looked like the Cowboys O-Line of early 90s when they simply owned the game. Stunts would have disrupted some of this. Blitzes certainly would have helped.

The bottom line to me... We were man vs. man whipped in the trenches. I don't recall seeing #94 anywhere near the QB's zip code... and I like Gregory's play this season a lot. But Saturday, he was man-handled... just like our interior DTs.

Again, I'm not discounting that coaching, alignment, etc. couldn't have changed anything. For me, I was thinking... we will get burned by this, but I would start using multiple blitzes and simply hope I was filling the right gaps for the run and hope I don't get burned deep... because I know my front 4 (or front 6) can't handle these matchups tonight.
Sorry but no.
At this level any offensive lineman down to practice squad players can dominate you if they know what,you are going to do. The difference between Super Bowl champion team and worse team in the league from a talent standpoint is very small.

stiletto

Reaction score
Probably the biggest disappointment of the game was how poorly the front 7 looked on Defense. They hadn't really looked that bad all year. Didn't get off the plane...

This loss doesn't hurt as bad as 2016 or 2014, no where near it but I was really hoping the Defense this year could be our saving grace and maybe get us to the NFC Championship game. Would've been sweet.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well yeah we out coached! Knowing a stunt is coming is just an example. Their running game is good but we have the 5th ranked defense and one of the stingiest against the run. Hacking our DL explains a lot.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably the biggest disappointment of the game was how poorly the front 7 looked on Defense. They hadn't really looked that bad all year. Didn't get off the plane...

This loss doesn't hurt as bad as 2016 or 2014, no where near it but I was really hoping the Defense this year could be our saving grace and maybe get us to the NFC Championship game. Would've been sweet.

Read the first post. They got off the plane.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CBS also had a story that said McVay used motion and formations to confuse LVE and Smith and get them out of position at the snap.
They do that to everyone. That's their entire offense.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This is Dallas. We're ok with mediocrity as long as the cash keeps pouring in.

We were "good enough" to win a playoffs game so there's really no reason to invest in ways of getting better. Status quo.

Zman5

Reaction score
Sad thing is, all the things Rams did to get our defense out of position was figured out by the Bears. They didn't fall for all the trickery and it was well documented by various bloggers.

It's pathetic how we still fell for McVay's tricks when all that info was available.

wssaustin

Reaction score
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.

We gave away 90% of the snaps!!!!!

When CJ Anderson played for Bronocs he had nearly 100+ yard against us, when Gurly played for Rams in 2017, he had 100+ yards. This game the due both had 100+ yards, ridiculous.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone knows the Rams use motion (and misdirection). They use it because they're really good at it and it works even though everyone knows they use it. It's not some big coaching failure to get beat by those things; everyone gets beat by those things to a greater or lesser extent.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad thing is, all the things Rams did to get our defense out of position was figured out by the Bears. They didn't fall for all the trickery and it was well documented by various bloggers.

It's pathetic how we still fell for McVay's tricks when all that info was available.

Mcvay didn't have to use much trickery. They ran the ball for 273 yards. .............mostly b/c our DL had lots of tells and they knew what was coming. Goff would sit there under center read the tells on the jumbotron and adjust accordingly. It was too easy for them.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When CJ Anderson played for Bronocs he had nearly 100+ yard against us, when Gurly played for Rams in 2017, he had 100+ yards. This game the due both had 100+ yards, ridiculous.

What the heck does CJ Anderson last year have to do with Saturday night? The guy has been on 3 teams this year. Our defense was excellent against the run this year. We shut down the best rushing team in the league last week.

The Rams hacked the DL. They knew where the holes were going to be. Do ya get it? Anyone could have gashed us knowing what the Rams knew.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.

We gave away 90% of the snaps!!!!!

Thanks for reposting what I consider is the reason we lost the game.
Why else would the Rams choose to attack our strength after seeing what we did against the best ru nning team in the league.

Zman5

Reaction score
Mcvay didn't have to use much trickery. They ran the ball for 273 yards. .............mostly b/c our DL had lots of tells and they knew what was coming. Goff would sit there under center read the tells on the jumbotron and adjust accordingly. It was too easy for them.

He used motions/jet sweep to get our LBs to shift to one side. They did this on almost every play and you can see our defense shift. That's the trickery I'm talking about.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for reposting what I consider is the reason we lost the game.
Why else would the Rams choose to attack our strength after seeing what we did against the best ru nning team in the league.

This should be a huge topic of conversation. I just learned about it today and was shocked to see nobody discussing it.

Aven8

Reaction score
Anyone else see shot on the sideline where Marinelli and Richard are pacing different directions and sweating profusely? Check mate for McVay.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He used motions/jet sweep to get our LBs to shift to one side. They did this on almost every play and you can see our defense shift. That's the trickery I'm talking about.

Dude, just read what the Rams OL is saying. The fake Jets sweeps were just a diversion for the LBs. They ran up the gut all night. Thats where they had their success. Gurley averaged 5.5 yards before first contact. That is insane.