How the Rams got 270 yards

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone else see shot on the sideline where Marinelli and Richard are pacing different directions and sweating profusely? Check mate for McVay.

Well, now we know why. They couldn't figure out how the rams always seemed to have the perfect play call.

morat1959

Reaction score
This coming from the coach that all praise his coaching of the d-line. Richard is the only reason our D improved this year. Marinelli was over the hill when we hired him. Another instance of an incompetent front office who lives in a different world when it comes to hiring coaches.

Zman5

Reaction score
Dude, just read what the Rams OL is saying. The fake Jets sweeps were just a diversion for the LBs. They ran up the gut all night. Thats where they had their success.

What does diversion mean? They are trying to trick you. They are trying to trick the players eyes to look at something else for a split second. That split second can be a difference between defeating a block by an OL or getting pancaked.

Reactions: CWR

InTheZone

Reaction score
it definitely looked like for every successfully pass rush there were several perfect walls

morat1959

Reaction score
I expect nothing from Garret. But the DL is Marinelli's bread and butter. How does he not notice that his guys have tells? I can't beleive this is not more of a topic of discussion. It cuts to the core of the teams coaching problems. We just aren't very smart.
I don’t think this coaching staff and smart will ever be used in the same sentence.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does diversion mean? They are trying to trick you. They are trying to trick the players eyes to look at something else for a split second. That split second can be a difference between defeating a block by a OL or getting pancaked.

Ok. Lets say you you know a stunt is coming from the right side. You run a fake jet sweep to the left to clear out the lbs and run the ball over the right tackle. Its a simpe game when you know what the DL is going to do on 90% of the snaps.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well, now we know why. They couldn't figure out how the rams always seemed to have the perfect play call.

Embarrassing. I don’t think it was their fault actually. They just had more time and McVay has watched us for years having played us twice. Hell he might have even called his old pal Jay Gruden for all we know.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Embarrassing. I don’t think it was their fault actually. They just had more time and McVay has watched us for years having played us twice. Hell he might have even called his old pal Jay Gruden for all we know.

If an opposing coach can notice something like that, I am incredulous that a savvy veteran like Marinelli did not. We should thank the rams for telling us how they did it, or it might have continued into next year.

Zman5

Reaction score
Ok. Lets say you you know a stunt is coming from the right side. You run a fake jet sweep to the left to clear out the lbs and run the ball over the right tackle. Its a simpe game when you know what the DL is going to do on 90% of the snaps.

I'm not doubting what the Rams knew about our DT tendencies didn't have an effect. I'm also saying all the eye candy Rams threw at us also got our defense out of position.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not doubting what the Rams knew about our DT tendencies didn't have an effect. I'm also saying all the eye candy Rams threw at us also got our defense out of positions.

I'm not buying that as the reason we lost. I've been watching cowboy football since the mid 70's. I've never seen a team run like that on a cowboy defense.......not even during the 1-15 campaign of 1989. Gurley averaged 5.5 yards before first contact. Its not like they were breaking tackles. They literally knew where the holes in the DL were going to be. That is the only explanation. The Rams haven't done this to any other team this year.

CWR

Reaction score

It can be both. It doesn't have to be just ONE single thing that lead to our demise. In fact it was a combination of reading our defense, pre snap motions and flat out getting beat.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'm not buying that as the reason we lost. I've been watching cowboy football since the mid 70's. I've never seen a team run like that on a cowboy defense.......not even during the 1-15 campaign of 1989. Gurley averaged 5.5 yards before first contact. Its not like they were breaking tackles. They literally knew where the holes in the DL were going to be. That is the only explanation. The Rams haven't done this to any other team this year.

I've also been watching football since early 70s and the game against Ravens in 2000 is the closest thing . The Dline got abused but so did the LBs because they were out of position most of the time. It was noted by many who reviewed the Rams vs Bears game that one thing they did not do is shift their defense based on any motion by Rams. They knew what the Rams were trying to do and didn't fall for it.

Texasfootball21

Reaction score
Watching the game again now on NFLN, our defense started this game off pretty well, however the Rams backs seem to have a good rotation going and look rested with fresh legs for sure.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
I don't know how you keep Marinelli now. That should never happen in pro football. We are literally the dumbest team in the league. Our own coaching staff didn't notice these things? :facepalm:
So just Marinelli? Not Richard who's been getting all the credit for the play of the defense? Lmao..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.

We gave away 90% of the snaps!!!!!
I already posted that our coaching staff is only better than 20% of the coaching staffs in the league.

8 Head Coaches were fired from this year and Garrett was on his way to be number nine until they got Dak a no.1 WR. The Cowboys coaching staff will get out coached by 80% of the NFL Team coaching staffs.

What the Cowboys coaching staff is good at is getting effort to win not scheming to win. The 4 coaches left in the playoffs get effort and schemes to win.