How the Rams got 270 yards

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys notice how often they kicked the ball in bounds to make Jourdan Lewis return the ball. Jourdan Lewis that never returned kicks before (never in College I think I heard, at least), and fumbled once in the Eagles game? He barely reached the 20 every time. Did we scout their weaknesses and take advantage? No. Because the opposition are faceless, nameless players that don't matter. Idiots.

That was another weird thing. Why wasn't Austin back there? Beasley had the ankle thing, but Austin broke one against Seattle that was called back on a BS penalty.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So just Marinelli? Not Richard who's been getting all the credit for the play of the defense? Lmao..

The problem Saturday night was the DL and that is Marinelli's specialty. He was a DL coach before he was a DC. If his guys are tipping their hand, he of all people should be the one who notices. KR just got here and has done wonders elevating the secondary. He literally made lemonade out of lemons with guys like Byron Jones and the worst safety tandem in the NFL.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
McVay likes a lot of pre-snap deflection/misdirection but he does want to run the ball down your throat if he can. His running schemes are a lot like Mike Shanahan. He will also look to see what the D is giving him, if box is stacked he changes the play to have numbers in his favor.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McVay likes a lot of pre-snap deflection/misdirection but he does want to run the ball down your throat if he can. His running schemes are a lot like Mike Shanahan. He will also look to see what the D is giving him, if box is stacked he changes the play to have numbers in his favor.

Read first post. All credit to McVay, but it wasn't his trickery that did us in.

Rayman70

Reaction score
they gutted the interior of our dline with motion and raw size and power. There was no stopping it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rams run a college style motion or spread hybrid offense. It worked well...they been running this for 2 years to perfection. Hard to stop.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they gutted the interior of our dline with motion and raw size and power. There was no stopping it.

The point of this thread is to show people that our defense wasn't gutted or pummeled into submission. We were were outsmarted. The rams knew where the holes were going to be b/c our DTs were inadvertently giving away the defensive calls. McVay literally hacked our DL. That is why none of the adjustments being made to stop the run had any effect.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The point of this thread is to show people that our defense wasn't gutted or pummeled into submission. We were were outsmarted. The rams knew where the holes were going to be b/c our DTs were inadvertently giving away the defensive calls. McVay literally hacked our DL. That is why none of the adjustments being made to stop the run had any effect.
wow, I haven't heard that one yet lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean you can use motion?
If you look at Chiefs and rams they use a ton of motion
I love watching the chiefs offense
They run great screens and run screens to 3 players on one snap
We depend on our guys beating their guys
No reason to actually try to fool them

yep you run some motion and know where the DL is going pre-snap.........the run game can be amazing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
they beat us pillar to post,FACT. The game was never in doubt once they got the lead back.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I would like to see what McVay or Reid could do with Zeke, Dak, Cooper, Gallup,.......

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they beat us pillar to post,FACT. The game was never in doubt once they got the lead back.

Absolutely, but there is a reason they beat us so badly. Don't you think its kinda odd that we shut down the league's top running attack in Seattle and then go to LA and give up 273? Well, they ran so well b/c they knew where the holes where going to open up in the DL. Goff would stand under center and litterally watch the jumbotron for 10-15 seconds waiting for the "tell" and would then make the adjustment to exploit what he just learned. Gurley averaged about 5.5 yards before first contact and so did CJ Anderson. If you know that the right DE is stunting in pre-snap, for example, the game is a lot easier.

Don't take my word for it. This is what the Rams are saying. Its pretty stunning.

Qcard

Reaction score
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.

We gave away 90% of the snaps!!!!!
I like this inside baseball stuff!! But in the playoffs it really doesn't matter...they had better players!!

Larry Allen would make a train whistle sound and tell the Dlineman we are coming in your gap...

We just got beat

birdwells1

Reaction score
Self-scouting failure. Like every other team, the Cowboys have a group of guys whose only job is to look at stats and watch video of their own team to look for tendencies that the opponent might try to take advantage of.

Absolutely, this point is the main reason they were successful and a failure by the coaching staff.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The NFL network was giving Goff credit too, by calling various things out, and adjusting, pre snap.
They said he helped the run game greatly