How to band-aid this run defense?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I got a chance to watch Akoye's breakdown of our run defense against the Ravens. Excellent watch. What was most surprising, is that our veteran players just don't know how to play fundamental football:

-Neither DE consistently sets the edge, getting killed against outside runs which are their responsibility.
-DT's get moved consistently down the field
-The linebackers/safeties are either overaggressive or too passive.
-Poor tackling has lead to big plays

Some changes they need to consider"

-Playing bigger personnel. Start Kneeland over Parsons at DE, move Parsons to strong-side linebacker. I would consider doing what the Eagles did to the Saints last week and play a 5 man line.

-Consider benching Wilson, Carson. Poor tackling leads to big plays.

-Dummy down the playbook, go back to the basics.

-See if there is an impact DT out there in the trade market, perhaps from a rebuilding team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Remove Mazi and all other DT's put some backup OL guys on there or something!! Dummy down the playbook here we go with that, is this team just not smart or what I hope this isn't the case where it's too complex for them and players can't understand what their assignments are

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, I don't even know what to think about our defense so far this year. It's like they're totally lost with no direction. Honestly, I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it.

exciter

Reaction score
I got a chance to watch Akoye's breakdown of our run defense against the Ravens. Excellent watch. What was most surprising, is that our veteran players just don't know how to play fundamental football:

-Neither DE consistently sets the edge, getting killed against outside runs which are their responsibility.

-Playing bigger personnel. Start Kneeland over Parsons at DE, move Parsons to strong-side linebacker. I would consider doing what the Eagles did to the Saints last week and play a 5 man line.

-See if there is an impact DT out there in the trade market, perhaps from a rebuilding team.
Davon Godchaux.
I vote Davon Godchaux!

Redline360

Reaction score
DEs not properly setting the edges.

LBs filling wrong gaps and or getting washed by the DL being blown off the ball. It's like watching Jaylon Smith all over again filling the wrong gap 9 out of 10 times

Parsons is damn near useless in the run game when teams run at him.

Playing fundamental football will help to some extent but the lack of talent will be hard to overcome. Should have been one of the first things fixed(for awhile now)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

there is only one way. commit the LBs and saftey to stopping the run or limiting it. committ 7 or 8 to stopping the run on first downs. that means the CBs and deep saftey are on their own, thus they have to play man-to-man. its risky, but at least it stops or slows down the run game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Zimmer getting soft I don't know why he's not benching his unit for poor play....he's not doing anything different I guess he doesn't have to he's not coaching for a job or anything just a check.

Aven8

Reaction score
This D was built to rush the passer. Now they are being asked to different things and I’m not sure yet if the D has quit on Zimm. It’s very odd as they looked all world in the first week and have looked like the Bad News Bears on D for two straight weeks.

If this continues to falter tomorrow night and the Gents move up and down the field we will know a lot more.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Play a 5 man line against the Gnats?
Sit Seatbelt and Play Booth?
Wow.
I would spy Jones with Overshown. And bracket Nabors at times. Stack the box in obvious run downs with Parsons in the Middle.
And scour the NFL practice squads, USFL, CFL, WWF, WWE, Golden Corral buffet, or anywhere else there may be a DT hanging around.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
No more pass rush, just have the DLinemen push and then fall down creating a wall that has to be hurdled or run around. Either way it slows down the runner.

/s

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wont completely throw in the towel on Zimmer yet, but I get the feeling a new DC is going to be required. Against NO I think its fair to chalk it up to players not executing, but things didnt get fixed...at all. Not only are they not getting fixed, but what I'm seeing on tape are outdated fixes trying to stop a modern offense.

One reason we are seeing more two deep safety looks around the league isn't always just to prevent the deep ball. Teams are using two deep looks to help counter the increased presnap motion which killed us from the opening play against Baltimore. People keep wanting to label the problem as the ends for crashing down, but based on the blocks its exactly what they should be doing. The issue on this and several other plays is simply that we got caught with a safety in the box away from the play, they motioned the slot corner to that same side, and once they ran off Diggs who was in man coverage Cooper Beebe probably could have carried that ball for a 1st down. As the game went on it looks like they played more zone coverage so the CB didnt have to follow the motion man, but why not just play a 2 deep look and play whatever coverage you want underneath?

If people dont want to do a ton of film review but want to really see the issues with this defense that 1st offensive play for Baltimore pretty much tells the whole story, other than the interior DL getting dominated.
  • The Cowboys got out schemed on basics
  • Players are not processing and communicating quick enough pre snap to adjust
  • Backers were slow to react and I'm really struggling to understand what their reads are, especially since no one runs with the TE
  • Safety is slow to step up and play the run
I mean you can go through and cycle different players in and out, but I'm not sure how much of an impact itll truly make. None of your DTs have even been adequate so far. All of your backers are flawed, and they all seem to be slow to react so that could be a player or a coaching issue, its so bad that it makes it hard to tell. Guys seem to be constantly fooled on misdirections and teams are doing whatever they want with FBs and TEs to let them release late or lead block, either one.

If I were Zimmer right now, I'd sit in 2 deep coverage, mix in some angle plays for my front 4 a la Rod Marinelli style, clean up/simplify the reads for my 2nd level guys, and have these backers who have some seriously good speed play the outside more aggressive.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Especially like the move to get bigger along the DE position on 1st down...

LDE- Golhston
RDE-Kneeland

Keep Parson and D-law fresh for 3rd downs

Amazes me this front office/ staff hasn't thought of this.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Play a 5 man line against the Gnats?
Sit Seatbelt and Play Booth?
Wow.
I would spy Jones with Overshown. And bracket Nabors at times. Stack the box in obvious run downs with Parsons in the Middle.
And scour the NFL practice squads, USFL, CFL, WWF, WWE, Golden Corral buffet, or anywhere else there may be a DT hanging around.
Not just talking about the Giants, but moving forward. I would actually consider Muku over Booth.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Zimmer getting soft I don't know why he's not benching his unit for poor play....he's not doing anything different I guess he doesn't have to he's not coaching for a job or anything just a check.
Keep in mind, it's just 3 weeks into the season. You would think he would start to make some changes after this week.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Stop with the "benching starters" - we'll be lucky if this scrapyard of jags will even stay healthy.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
there is only one way. commit the LBs and saftey to stopping the run or limiting it. committ 7 or 8 to stopping the run on first downs. that means the CBs and deep saftey are on their own, thus they have to play man-to-man. its risky, but at least it stops or slows down the run game.
It's not that simple, as our players aren't disciplined what so ever. For example, Wilson always reacts to the play, rather then maintaining in run gap.