How to band-aid this run defense?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
1. Stop giving up huge passing plays on the first drives
2. Score on offense

Selling out trying to improve the run defense is just going to further expose the pass defense. You have to score, and you have to stop allowing teams to throw. The biggest plays of the last two weeks have all been through the air. Make teams consistently have 12-play drives, rather than letting them score in 5.

visionary

Reaction score
You have 4 deficiencies

1. Old predictable scheme
2. Undisciplined players not being held accountable
3. Poor fundamentals and tackling
4. Garbage at DT, LB playing pretend DE, and a CB who wont tackle to save his life

With the current team culture perpetuated by GM, HC these deficiencies cannot be addressed

Good teams will do this to us all year

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Seems like the changes would’ve started after getting throttled week 2. That should’ve had some guys getting benched.
Who would of you benched? DLaw/Parsons are among the biggest culprits but neither is losing their starting job. Overshown played more last week and he was awful, very slow to react or too aggressive. Wilson is our most physical player on a very finesse unit, but he is always freelancing and misses a ton of tackles.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You have 4 deficiencies

1. Old predictable scheme
2. Undisciplined players not being held accountable
3. Poor fundamentals and tackling
4. Garbage at DT, LB playing pretend DE, and a CB who wont tackle to save his life

With the current team culture perpetuated by GM, HC these deficiencies cannot be addressed

Good teams will do this to us all year
I disagree about scheme, it's all about these players not doing what they suppose and not playing together. Is it the scheme fault why a team runs the same outside run over and over again with success when your DE never sets the edge?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I disagree about scheme, it's all about these players not doing what they suppose and not playing together. Is it the scheme fault why a team runs the same outside run over and over again with success when your DE never sets the edge?
1) Yes
2) Most of these plays where we say DEs need to set the edge is incorrect

visionary

Reaction score
Zimmer defense was bottom 5 in NFL last 2 years in Minnesota

This is not an aberration

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bench DLAW. As Akoye said I can take some issues from the young kid but Dlaw should know better. Veterans making big mistakes can not be tolerated. Carson made a mistake then played ok after that and that is what we want to see from the youngins. Keep parsons off the line untill right before the snap and move him around so they don't just run away from his side every time. Play the guys who give 100% effort, bench anyone else I don't care what they are getting paid.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When he had great players at all levels to hide the deficiencies

Coulda had Fangio but Jerry goes with his boy instead

More nepotism as usual
I don’t think Fangio comes here for a year though. They settled for Zimmer. Didn’t even go get a unknown.

I will call it now one of the days probably in this year Eberflus will get fired and Jerry will run to him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bench DLAW. As Akoye said I can take some issues from the young kid but Dlaw should know better. Veterans making big mistakes can not be tolerated. Carson made a mistake then played ok after that and that is what we want to see from the youngins. Keep parsons off the line untill right before the snap and move him around so they don't just run away from his side every time. Play the guys who give 100% effort, bench anyone else I don't care what they are getting paid.
I have no issue with mistakes. It Law made a mistake that’s one thing. Did he not give effort?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Make teams consistently have 12-play drives, rather than letting them score in 5.
Pretty sure this is Zimm's goal. Before the season started, he admitted his defense may not have as many turnovers but there will be fewer big plays. So I'm sure he's disappointed so far........

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't even know what to think about our defense so far this year. It's like they're totally lost with no direction. Honestly, I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it.
Better personnel. That's really it. Which won't be fixed midseason. No idea what Zimmer's influence is but I haven't seen a Dallas defense this bad in a long time. But when you keep ignoring weaknesses and go cheap at those spots, it can all come crashing down at once.

We are extremely soft everywhere on the field.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is Zimm's goal. Before the season started, he admitted his defense may not have as many turnovers but there will be fewer big plays. So I'm sure he's disappointed so far........
How about instead of allowing long drives, get off the field quicker? I like how the only option is turnovers or long consuming drives without a big play. Find that middle ground. Allowing long drives, even if they result in FGs, isn't a good thing. Our defenses in the past were homerun or bust. If we weren't getting turnovers, we got cooked. Can't depend on turnovers at the rate we got them, especially come playoff time. Need to find a way off the field on 3rd downs. Find a way to stuff some plays for losses, pressure the QB, make good plays in the secondary, make those open field tackles. This defense is poor at all that.

It's like in baseball. If your only strength is to hit homers, but can't win any other way, you won't be that good. As you can't count on those consistently.

A lot of Dallas blowout wins, came when they got a crazy amount of turnovers, usually against weaker teams.

cmoney23

Reaction score
I've said it for going on two seasons now.

Micah Parsons is a LB. Put him at his natural position, in less than obvious passing downs, and let him read and react, come down hill and tackle.

This moves gets you bigger on the DL with natural DEs that are able to set the edge in the run game and keep plays inside.

After the Ravens game, I would only add that this year's team is terrible at tackling.