How to band-aid this run defense?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think you can depend on the draft for defensive tackles. You need to use free agency. Defensive tackles take time to develop. As much as the Eagles get praise for their moves Jordan Davis has been disappointing. Teams run right at him. The best thing the Cowboys can do is to try to improve in free agency like the Eagles, 49ers, Lions, ect….. Not to doubt the draft but I would look at skill players high in the draft because they are most likely to be successful. We need success immediately.
They have to change the way they team build and take chances with their cap

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They have to change the way they team build and take chances with their cap
Well the NFC East has to get better. If Washington and the Giants keep improving Jerry will have no choice but to change the status quo. The Cowboys have lived off of a mediocre NFC East for about 11 years now.

kskboys

Reaction score
I got a chance to watch Akoye's breakdown of our run defense against the Ravens. Excellent watch. What was most surprising, is that our veteran players just don't know how to play fundamental football:

-Neither DE consistently sets the edge, getting killed against outside runs which are their responsibility.
-DT's get moved consistently down the field
-The linebackers/safeties are either overaggressive or too passive.
-Poor tackling has lead to big plays

Some changes they need to consider"

-Playing bigger personnel. Start Kneeland over Parsons at DE, move Parsons to strong-side linebacker. I would consider doing what the Eagles did to the Saints last week and play a 5 man line.

-Consider benching Wilson, Carson. Poor tackling leads to big plays.

-Dummy down the playbook, go back to the basics.

-See if there is an impact DT out there in the trade market, perhaps from a rebuilding team.
Draft DT's in 2025.

BadLieutenant

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with our defense. I don't know how we could have gotten this bad in one year. When we actually gained at LB and our 1T gained weight.

An easy start is to motivate these guys like Quinn did his first 2 year. I mean, there used to be 5-6-7 guys within 2 yd. Of the ball carrier smothering him.
That energy level is gone.
This is BIG DIFFERENCE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I got a chance to watch Akoye's breakdown of our run defense against the Ravens. Excellent watch. What was most surprising, is that our veteran players just don't know how to play fundamental football:

-Neither DE consistently sets the edge, getting killed against outside runs which are their responsibility.
-DT's get moved consistently down the field
-The linebackers/safeties are either overaggressive or too passive.
-Poor tackling has lead to big plays

Some changes they need to consider"

-Playing bigger personnel. Start Kneeland over Parsons at DE, move Parsons to strong-side linebacker. I would consider doing what the Eagles did to the Saints last week and play a 5 man line.

-Consider benching Wilson, Carson. Poor tackling leads to big plays.

-Dummy down the playbook, go back to the basics.

-See if there is an impact DT out there in the trade market, perhaps from a rebuilding team.
Even a Hankins 2022 trade would do. Even of the guy plays 25% of the snaps, as long as he is stopping the run Im for it

J-man

Reaction score
There has obviously been some poor play but I think the majority of the issues come from playing in a new scheme for a new coach who has a different style and mindset. Making fundamental changes like that take time to get right. Do they have the personnel to be effective in this system? Time will tell.

As for the gnats, they aren't a very good running team so I wouldn't go changing everything around too much. That may end up getting you burned in the passing game. Maybe on first downs get a little box heavy but other than that I would get after D jones and double team Nabors as much as possible.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Even a Hankins 2022 trade would do. Even of the guy plays 25% of the snaps, as long as he is stopping the run Im for it
We all know about the lack of talent within the interior, but what is killing us the most is these outside runs. Our DE's have to play more fundamental football.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Play a 5 man line against the Gnats?
Sit Seatbelt and Play Booth?
Wow.
I would spy Jones with Overshown. And bracket Nabors at times. Stack the box in obvious run downs with Parsons in the Middle.
And scour the NFL practice squads, USFL, CFL, WWF, WWE, Golden Corral buffet, or anywhere else there may be a DT hanging around.
Agreed - a lot of 5 man fronts for starters and adjust from there.

CWR

Reaction score
Well I'd like to see guys actually play their assignments and fill the gaps as designed before I actually decide we don't have the personnel to do so.

Obviously we need DT help, but maybe working within the actual system won't be so bad.

Maybe if our players stop playing like selfish dirt bags we can force a punt or two.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe, but I would keep an open mind to the idea that this Akoye fellow isn't 100% right all the time....First 15 seconds of the video below is a decent example of what I'm talking about, and that play should look somewhat familiar in how our DEs were crashing down the last couple weeks. I think the Cowboys were using a similar concept to this, but its actually the LB that is getting sucked in to the dive play where they shouldn't be. If I am right its also shame on Zimmer for not having Overshown on the weak side of the formation as Kenricks probably isnt quick enough to execute this against Jackson. It just seems really odd to me that every single DE was crashing down like this 90% of the time.

Didn't watch this video but I agree no one is right 100% of the time especially since none of us are in the meetings. Whatever the issue is zimmer needs to figure out how to fix it starting tonight.