How we can get rid of Dak easiest financially?

XXLMike

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

Can we cut Prescott today if so, what would be the implication Moneywise?

What happens if we cut Dak after June 1?

What happens if we trade Dak?

Is there any way to cut him or trade him without incurring dead cap space?

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?

John813

Reaction score
1. Any trade needs to approved by Dak. Limiting options
2. Cut pre June 1st designation: 61mil cap hit, or 2mil more dead cap than his current 59mil cap hit.
3. June 1st cut now/before the 18th: 25,45mil dead cap this year. 36mil dead cap next year. (5mil roster bonus on the 18th)
4. Zero ways of not incurring dead cap, even if he walks next year due to void years in 2025 and 2026 coming home to roost next offseason.
5. If he plays out his contract as is, next year dead cap is still 36mil.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
2. Cut pre June 1st designation: 61mil cap hit, or 2mil more dead cap than his current 59mil cap hit.
3. June 1st cut now/before the 18th: 25,45mil dead cap this year. 36mil dead cap next year. (5mil roster bonus on the 18th)
4. Zero ways of not incurring dead cap, even if he walks next year due to void years in 2025 and 2026 coming home to roost next offseason.
if they were to agree on a trade, how much would we be on the hook for this season? would it be like Russ and Denver?

John813

Reaction score
if they were to agree on a trade, how much would we be on the hook for this season? would it be like Russ and Denver?

The remaining prorated signing bonus.
So, if the team traded him now, 61mil. Same as cutting pre June 1st.
The team that gets Dak only gets his base of 29mil and the 5mil roster bonus if the trade is done prior to the 18th.
If after the 18th, add 5mil more dead cap to the above number.
If traded after June 1st, the dead cap would be 25.45mil+5mil RB = 30.45mil cap for 2024, and 36mil in 2025.

dckid

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?
I think most people dont understand the money.
It is very easy to get rid of Dak. If we cut him post June1. We will save 34 million dollars
He currently counts 59 million against the cap. It is a no brainer. I actually posted a huge thread about this after the playoff loss to the Packers.
Please go to over the cap
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848
Choose cut post June 1, it is the perfect time to get rid of him but Jerry will never do it.
Because wait for it, as I have been saying for 8+ years Jerry does not are about winning another SB.

plasticman

Reaction score
Win the Super Bowl this year and give him the MVP. Then don't re-sign him.

After that, I'm sure there won't be any trouble getting rid of him.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

I'M STUCK ON THE LAST PART AS WELL, if he plays on the big number and we don't restructure or anything, HOW are we still being charged after he leaves!?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Note: 24 base salary isn't guaranteed. $5M Roster bonus due 3/18. The below is per Spotrac which I find, in general, more accurate than Over the Cap

Dak play out the year: 24 cap hit: $59.5; 25 cap hit: $36.5
Dak cut pre-3/18 roster bonus: 24 cap hit: $61.9; 25 cap hit: 0
Dak cut post 6/1: 24 cap hit: $30.5; 25 cap hit: $36.5

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It is very easy to get rid of Dak. If we cut him post June1. We will save 34 million dollars
He currently counts 59 million against the cap. It is a no brainer. I actually posted a huge thread about this after the playoff loss to the Packers.
Choose cut post June 1, it is the perfect time to get rid of him but Jerry will never do it.
Because wait for it, as I have been saying for 8+ years Jerry does not are about winning another SB.
You lose the same 60m$ if he’s post-June 1st, it’s just split between 2024 and 2025. So on the one hand it’s great that he’s only a 24m$ cap hit this year, but on the other hand you lose 36m$ next year when he’s not even on the team anymore

Sometimes it’s better to just eat the full amount now if you can

dckid

Reaction score
Same if you trade him June 1. What has transpired over the past 30 years is a symptom of Jerry's ineptness. He does not want to bottom out because the Cowboys will be out of the limelight.
Think about it for a second. Jerry is a made mad. He is HOF'r, most valuable franchise. Most revenue, most profit. All this without a SB appearance since 1995.
-Every year this team is talked about during the preseason & season. ESPN, FS1, Stephen A is the grade A hater, Skip loves this team.
-Since 1989, only Robert Kraft has more SB's than Jerry. Giants have 3 SB's, Broncos have 3 SB's, Packers have 2, Steelers have 2, Niners have 1
-Jerry has zero incentive to win another. Other owners are driven to win another SB. Jerry is surrounded by his family and yes men in his inner circle.
If you hired Shanahan or McVay, we would be in a championship game/ SB within three years. Jerry does not care

What what he does not what he says.
-Other facts. This team does not mind paying their own guys whether is is Dak, Romo, Dez, Zeke, Tank, or Ceedee, Parsons, Diggs... go find actual money spent over the past 5-10 years

Jerry does not spend the money, he really just wants to make money, I wish Bezos would offer him 15 Billion and he would walk way, put his statue up and be done with it.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Great info, thank you!

What is the cap saving this year from cutting prior to March 18th and designating it a post June 1st cut? Could we the roll that savings (by not spending it) into next years cap to off-set the 36 million dead cap space in 2025?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You lose the same 60m$ if he’s post-June 1st, it’s just split between 2024 and 2025. So on the one hand it’s great that he’s only a 24m$ cap hit this year, but on the other hand you lose 36m$ next year when he’s not even on the team anymore

That's what I'm saying eat the whole amount now, how do we do that yet still have money to pay him next year?? We let him play at 59 million don't bother his deal in anyway, people make it seem like we will still owe him money

dckid

Reaction score

Yes but look at the cap savings, which would allow you to at least maneuver and sign players. Getting rid of him is not a death sentence.
You can field a good team and not bottom out, which Jerry just will not due.

Just a hypothetical, make that move and draft Pennix Jr in the 2nd or third round. I would love to have signed Minshew, or Jacoby Brisset. We need an innings eater until we find the next guy. Hell the Niners got lucky with Purdy,
Cowboys got lucky with Dak and Romo, stuff happens.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying eat the whole amount now, how do we do that yet still have money to pay him next year?? We let him play at 59 million don't bother his deal in anyway, people make it seem like we will still owe him money
This is if you cut him. If you keep him, it’s a 60m$ cap hit this year AND 36m$ cap hit next year after he’s gone