How we can get rid of Dak easiest financially?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes but look at the cap savings, which would allow you to at least maneuver and sign players. Getting rid of him is not a death sentence.
You can field a good team and not bottom out, which Jerry just will not due.

Just a hypothetical, make that move and draft Pennix Jr in the 2nd or third round. I would love to have signed Minshew, or Jacoby Brisset. We need an innings eater until we find the next guy. Hell the Niners got lucky with Purdy,
Cowboys got lucky with Dak and Romo, stuff happens.
Problem with June 1sting him is you don’t get that savings until June 1st. All the Free Agents will be gone by then, so you’ll be bargain shopping anyway and can’t spend that extra money. The best choice if not re-signing him is trading him now. Yes, it’s a 60m$ cap hit, but you’ll get at least a 1st rounder in return (worth as much or more than the player you could take with his savings) and no 2025 dead cap money after

John813

Reaction score
Great info, thank you!

What is the cap saving this year from cutting prior to March 18th and designating it a post June 1st cut? Could we the roll that savings (by not spending it) into next years cap to off-set the 36 million dead cap space in 2025?
34mil, his non-guaranteed base salary+ 5mil roster bonus-from which I can tell only guarantees if on the roster by the 18th. Basically, it would offset most of that dead cap hit.

JBS

Reaction score
Same if you trade him June 1. What has transpired over the past 30 years is a symptom of Jerry's ineptness. He does not want to bottom out because the Cowboys will be out of the limelight.
Think about it for a second. Jerry is a made mad. He is HOF'r, most valuable franchise. Most revenue, most profit. All this without a SB appearance since 1995.
-Every year this team is talked about during the preseason & season. ESPN, FS1, Stephen A is the grade A hater, Skip loves this team.
-Since 1989, only Robert Kraft has more SB's than Jerry. Giants have 3 SB's, Broncos have 3 SB's, Packers have 2, Steelers have 2, Niners have 1
-Jerry has zero incentive to win another. Other owners are driven to win another SB. Jerry is surrounded by his family and yes men in his inner circle.
If you hired Shanahan or McVay, we would be in a championship game/ SB within three years. Jerry does not care

What what he does not what he says.
-Other facts. This team does not mind paying their own guys whether is is Dak, Romo, Dez, Zeke, Tank, or Ceedee, Parsons, Diggs... go find actual money spent over the past 5-10 years

Jerry does not spend the money, he really just wants to make money, I wish Bezos would offer him 15 Billion and he would walk way, put his statue up and be done with it.

People in here don’t understand cash spend. They only understand the cap. Being as big as we are and as cheap as we are is an absolute embarrassment. There are huge benefits to having piles of cash to spend. And we don’t use it.

John813

Reaction score
People in here don’t understand cash spend. They only understand the cap. Being as big as we are and as cheap as we are is an absolute embarrassment. There are huge benefits to having piles of cash to spend. And we don’t use it.
Pretty sad the Bengals are ahead of us.

I remember every offseason the chart is posted. I can't recall a time where the Cowboys were in the top 10 in real money spent.

Jarntt

Reaction score
1. Any trade needs to approved by Dak. Limiting options
2. Cut pre June 1st designation: 61mil cap hit, or 2mil more dead cap than his current 59mil cap hit.
3. June 1st cut now/before the 18th: 25,45mil dead cap this year. 36mil dead cap next year. (5mil roster bonus on the 18th)
4. Zero ways of not incurring dead cap, even if he walks next year due to void years in 2025 and 2026 coming home to roost next offseason.
5. If he plays out his contract as is, next year dead cap is still 36mil.
I see how OTC lists it as not hitting the cap, and I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you designate him a post 6/1 cut, you have to pay him the $5M roster bonus (due 3/18) and also account for it against the cap. Similar to how cap savings from cutting a player "post 6/1" aren't available until that date. The reasoning is that for cap purposes he is still on the roster until 6/1.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
34mil, his non-guaranteed base salary+ 5mil roster bonus-from which I can tell only guarantees if on the roster by the 18th. Basically, it would offset most of that dead cap hit.
Okay that's what I was hoping. So maybe that is the FO plan. Do nothing in FA this year and roll over the cap savings from this year into next to offset most of that dead cap hit for next year.

So while the cap hit would still be there next year, the rollover negates it.

They have to do this before the 18th tho, so we'll know soon enough if this is the plan.

It's what I would do.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Where's the other 36 coming from??
No matter what you do, Dak has 36m$ in dead cap money after this year. The reason for this is because Jerry Jones has been “credit carding” his previous salaries.

Remember when you’d hear Dak restructured his contract every year and Dallas suddenly would get a ton of cap space? What is actually happening is Dak gets exactly the same money, but Jerry Jones is changing it from a cap hit all that year to prorated cap hits. What prorated cap hits are is the same total cap hit but spread over 5 years, like a credit card for the cap. But all money paid out HAS to hit the cap eventually. Theres no getting out of it. So right now Dak has a 35m$ salary for this year. Why is his cap hit 59m$? Because you still have prorated money hitting the salary cap that you paid him many years ago. Make sense?

Prorated money is also commonly called dead money when the player is no longer on the team. Now let’s look at hypotheticals with that info in mind. Dak has 24m$ in prorated money just for this year, and 36m$ in prorated money spread out in future years (2025, 2026, 2027). He also has a 35m$ salary this year. In the event he leaves the roster, all future prorated money is accelerated to that year. So the 36m$ in the future spread evenly over many years all gets dropped right now with the 24m$, that’s how we get 60m$. So let’s go through them:

Cut or Trade Now: Save 35m$ salary, only have 24m$ prorated dead money for this year, but also have to take all accelerated prorated money from future years because he left the roster (36m$). So total is 60m$ cap hit this year but completely off the books in 2025.

Cut or Trade After June 1st: Save 35m$ salary, only have to pay 24m$ dead cap number. Difference here though is all prorated money is accelerated to next year, so it’s a 36m$ lump sum in 2025 because it all accelerated due to him being off the roster. Thats what June 1st allows, delaying the accelerated dead money that occurs after this year.

Keep him for 2024 with no new contract: You have to pay 35m$ salary, with a 24m$ dead cap number from previous money already paid and prorated. Then he’s off the roster next year and you take the remaining accelerated 36m$. So this is kind of similar to June 1sting him with the dead money next year, but you also have to pay him his salary. Thats how it’s still 36m$ next year still, but also 60m$ this year.

Extend him: You can rip up his 2024 salary, lowering his cap hit this year greatly, and give him bonuses to compensate that can be further prorated. His 2024 cap hit can never go below the 24m$ proration number as that’s still required from previous money given. With his continued proration, new signing bonus and 2024 new salary likely being around 40m$ total cap hit, you’re probably saving 20m$ overall for 2024 cap. But the most important part of extending him is he’ll be on the roster 2025, 2026, 2027, so the future prorations don’t get accelerated into a 36m$ lump sum, instead it stays spread out over those years.

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
The smartest way to handle this situation in my opinion is to sit Dak down and tell him we are moving forward with T. Lance

1) you find out what you have in lance
2) you don’t waste another season w Dak
3) it gives you leverage in trade talks. Dak either accepts a trade to your liking or he sits on the bench all season.
4) you either have something in Lance or he sucks and you have a premium pick next season.

John813

Reaction score
I see how OTC lists it as not hitting the cap, and I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you designate him a post 6/1 cut, you have to pay him the $5M roster bonus (due 3/18) and also account for it against the cap. Similar to how cap savings from cutting a player "post 6/1" aren't available until that date. The reasoning is that for cap purposes he is still on the roster until 6/1.
Up to two players can be designated as a June 1st cut prior to June 1st.
In that instance, the player is cut right away, but the contract hit still is on the books as is until June 1st.
But if the cut happens before the roster bonus deadline it shouldn't count.

Per OTC:

Still this requires a team to carry a player until June on the roster. During that time the player may earn an option bonus, roster bonus, workout bonus, etc…increasing his dead money and making the June 1 worthless. This is what lead to the NFL’s creation of the Post June 1 designation. What a team is allowed to do is declare a player a post June 1 cut and get the benefit of the June 1st salary cap treatment while also avoiding any offseason payments or guarantees from kicking in.
https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-post-june-1-designation

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
No matter what you do, Dak has 36m$ in dead cap money after this year. The reason for this is because Jerry Jones has been “credit carding” his previous salaries.

Remember when you’d hear Dak restructured his contract every year and Dallas suddenly would get a ton of cap space? What is actually happening is Dak gets exactly the same money, but Jerry Jones is changing it from a cap hit all that year to prorated cap hits. What prorated cap hits are is the same total cap hit but spread over 5 years, like a credit card for the cap. But all money paid out HAS to hit the cap eventually. Theres no getting out of it. So right now Dak has a 35m$ salary for this year. Why is his cap hit 59m$? Because you still have prorated money hitting the salary cap that you paid him many years ago. Make sense?

Prorated money is also commonly called dead money when the player is no longer on the team. Now let’s look at hypotheticals with that info in mind. Dak has 24m$ in prorated money just for this year, and 36m$ in prorated money spread out in future years (2025, 2026, 2027). He also has a 35m$ salary this year. In the event he leaves the roster, all future prorated money is accelerated to that year. So the 36m$ in the future spread evenly over many years all gets dropped right now with the 24m$, that’s how we get 60m$. So let’s go through them:

Cut or Trade Now: Save 35m$ salary, only have 24m$ prorated dead money for this year, but also have to take all accelerated prorated money from future years because he left the roster (36m$). So total is 60m$ cap hit this year but completely off the books in 2025.

Cut or Trade After June 1st: Save 35m$ salary, only have to pay 24m$ dead cap number. Difference here though is all prorated money is accelerated to next year, so it’s a 36m$ lump sum in 2025 because it all accelerated due to him being off the roster. Thats what June 1st allows, delaying the accelerated dead money that occurs after this year.

Keep him for 2024 with no new contract: You have to pay 35m$ salary, with a 24m$ dead cap number from previous money already paid and prorated. Then he’s off the roster next year and you take the remaining accelerated 36m$. So this is kind of similar to June 1sting him with the dead money next year, but you also have to pay him his salary. Thats how it’s still 36m$ next year still, but also 60m$ this year.

Extend him: You can rip up his 2024 salary, lowering his cap hit this year greatly, and give him bonuses to compensate that can be further prorated. His 2024 cap hit can never go below the 24m$ proration number as that’s still required from previous money given. With his continued proration, new signing bonus and 2024 new salary likely being around 40m$ total cap hit, you’re probably saving 20m$ overall for 2024 cap. But the most important part of extending him is he’ll be on the roster 2025, 2026, 2027, so the future prorations don’t get accelerated into a 36m$ lump sum, instead it stays spread out over those years.
You put a lot of time and effort into this post you explained things I wanted to know you made it clear in some ways. I'm still so confused, all I need to know is what's the easiest way to not have money tied to him in the future when he's not here. You made it seem one way, then when your first bold point, my brain got confused!! Too many numbers and the word prorated makes me want to play in traffic

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You put a lot of time and effort into this post you explained things I wanted to know you made it clear in some ways. I'm still so confused, all I need to know is what's the easiest way to not have money tied to him in the future when he's not here. You made it seem one way, then when your first bold point, my brain got confused!! Too many numbers and the word prorated makes me want to play in traffic
All scenarios have him hitting the cap next year, except cutting or trading him before June 1st. If you dump him right now, you’re free after 2024. Downside to making that happen is you save no money this year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
All scenarios have him hitting the cap next year, except cutting or trading him before June 1st. If you dump him right now, you’re free after 2024. Downside to making that happen is you save no money this year.
Appreciate you

CowboyChris

Reaction score
i’ve been advocating to trade him before FA, but as usual this team is always a day late and a dollar short

dckid

Reaction score
Where's the other 36 coming from??
Its simple cut his post June 1 this year. Save 34 million in cap in 24, save 11 million in cap 25
His dead cap will be 25 per year, the savings is including the 25 million per year dead cap.

Also in 25, we are projected to have close to 80 million in cap space right now.
You have to remember, guys like Tank, Gallup, Cooks will be in last year or off the books.

Getting rid of Dak is a perfect way to soft reset. Find a serviceable guy in the draft and sign Ceedee, Parson, I would also like to sign Arik Armstead this year

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Its simple cut his post June 1 this year. Save 34 million in cap in 24, save 11 million in cap 25
His dead cap will be 25 per year, the savings is including the 25 million per year dead cap.

Also in 25, we are projected to have close to 80 million in cap space right now.
You have to remember, guys like Tank, Gallup, Cooks will be in last year or off the books.

Getting rid of Dak is a perfect way to soft reset. Find a serviceable guy in the draft and sign Ceedee, Parson, I would also like to sign Arik Armstead this year
@Aerolithe_Lion the more I see it the more I understand so post June 1st is the best option, I know you've said it to me, just need confirmation since someone else is saying it

XXLMike

Reaction score
1. Any trade needs to approved by Dak. Limiting options
2. Cut pre June 1st designation: 61mil cap hit, or 2mil more dead cap than his current 59mil cap hit.
3. June 1st cut now/before the 18th: 25,45mil dead cap this year. 36mil dead cap next year. (5mil roster bonus on the 18th)
4. Zero ways of not incurring dead cap, even if he walks next year due to void years in 2025 and 2026 coming home to roost next offseason.
5. If he plays out his contract as is, next year dead cap is still 36mil.
Excellent and detailed and depressing.
Thank you - now I’ll go sulk.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Yes but look at the cap savings, which would allow you to at least maneuver and sign players. Getting rid of him is not a death sentence.
You can field a good team and not bottom out, which Jerry just will not due.

Just a hypothetical, make that move and draft Pennix Jr in the 2nd or third round. I would love to have signed Minshew, or Jacoby Brisset. We need an innings eater until we find the next guy. Hell the Niners got lucky with Purdy,
Cowboys got lucky with Dak and Romo, stuff happens.

XXLMike

Reaction score
So cut him today is the best move ? Financially speaking, and then we just go ahead and buy the bullet this year?