How we can get rid of Dak easiest financially?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So cut him today is the best move ? Financially speaking, and then we just go ahead and buy the bullet this year?
Trade him has the same impact, that is the best move to get some assets back. Have to do it by May 31st.

Then bite the bullet this year, no cap gained or lost, then you’re free and clear in 2025

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This is if you cut him. If you keep him, it’s a 60m$ cap hit this year AND 36m$ cap hit next year after he’s gone
It makes no sense cutting or trading Dak. Let him play out his contract. I think that is what Jerry is going to let him do and his agent wants Dak to do.

Aven8

Reaction score
Trading him is our best solution. You still have to eat dead cap but at least you get draft picks.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jerry is gonna let Dak play out his contract.

He’s doing the Jason Garrett thing with Dak.

Same with Big Mike.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It makes no sense cutting or trading Dak. Let him play out his contract. I think that is what Jerry is going to let him do and his agent wants Dak to do.
It depends on what you expect in the 2024 Cowboys. If you see a good season happening, definitely worth keeping him. But assets gained in a trade would be significant. Teams that would give you a 1 are teams drafting pretty high

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Spotrac has an excellent breakdown on Daks contract.

You can expand the salary amounts and see the different options.

Simple solution: post June 1 cut.

Get it over with.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

Can we cut Prescott today if so, what would be the implication Moneywise?

What happens if we cut Dak after June 1?

What happens if we trade Dak?

Is there any way to cut him or trade him without incurring dead cap space?

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?
It should be a business decision ....let him play out this year (on the $59m hit) and then base the decision on the evidence in front of us.
Make a decision on whether he's the Franchise QB that CAN overcome gameday adversity or whether he needs too much 'support' to overcome his shortfalls.
Let him hit 2025 FA to find 'his' market (he may be 'market setting' or he may be Mayfield/Cousins), either way we've had a season where he is the constant and he has the chance to prove his worth.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It depends on what you expect in the 2024 Cowboys. If you see a good season happening, definitely worth keeping him. But assets gained in a trade would be significant. Teams that would give you a 1 are teams drafting pretty high
No one is gonna trade for Dak.

He has the 1 year left on his deal.

Plus 35+ million in base/salary.

Then UFA.

When/if we cut him, he can work out a new deal somewhere else.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yep, let's hope Dak plays well, and he and Jerry can agree on the extension (I'll say once again, Dak needs to give Jerry the years to work his CAP manipulation).
Dak's potential problem is: if he shows he can't perform without an expensive supporting cast (or when trailing), or if the money's there, but the locations not to his liking....Atlanta seemed ideal, cross that off....if Goff and Tua are extended he may have to go to a 'project' team.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s not about we think. It’s about what Jerry thinks. The Joneses are not going to let Dak not play out his contract. He is the best quarterback in the division and a top 8 quarterback. It would be stupid to cut him for nothing.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, let's hope Dak plays well, and he and Jerry can agree on the extension (I'll say once again, Dak needs to give Jerry the years to work his CAP manipulation).
Dak's potential problem is: if he shows he can't perform without an expensive supporting cast (or when trailing), or if the money's there, but the locations not to his liking....Atlanta seemed ideal, cross that off....if Goff and Tua are extended he may have to go to a 'project' team.
I keep hearing pro Dak media saying how the Cowboys could have got this done last season. No they couldn’t. France is looking at the salary cap balloon. This was the plan all along to get Dak to free agency. He signed a short term deal for a reason.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It’s not about we think. It’s about what Jerry thinks. The Joneses are not going to let Dak not play out his contract. He is the best quarterback in the division and a top 8 quarterback. It would be stupid to cut him for nothing.
Yep, this must be a 'power struggle' on the contract. Being fair to Jerry (he@vans forbid), if Dak gets a similar contract (market setting, length, NTC, no FT)....then we are going to find it difficult, if we want to keep Micah, CeeDee and the deferred CAP payments we'll have to add on.
There is absolutely no point in Jerry killing 2024 by going ALL-IN when Dak can walk away (leaving us in CAP Hell in 2025, with no QB).

Creeper

Reaction score
1. Any trade needs to approved by Dak. Limiting options
2. Cut pre June 1st designation: 61mil cap hit, or 2mil more dead cap than his current 59mil cap hit.
3. June 1st cut now/before the 18th: 25,45mil dead cap this year. 36mil dead cap next year. (5mil roster bonus on the 18th)
4. Zero ways of not incurring dead cap, even if he walks next year due to void years in 2025 and 2026 coming home to roost next offseason.
5. If he plays out his contract as is, next year dead cap is still 36mil.
If they trade or cut Dak now, He still counts against the CAP as if he was still here, plus and additional $2.4 million or so, but it would mean he is off the books completely in 2025. It create $36 million in CAP space in 2025.

For most teams that would be huge because it would allow them to spend in free agency. For Dallas it means nothing because the Cowboys do not sign free agents.

To me, if the move on from Dak they have to get him to agree to a trade. Of course if he doesn't, there's not much they can do about it. Of course they could bench him and make Lance their QB1. Maybe that would get Dak to want out.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I keep hearing pro Dak media saying how the Cowboys could have got this done last season. No they couldn’t. France is looking at the salary cap balloon. This was the plan all along to get Dak to free agency. He signed a short term deal for a reason.
Spot on. Dak wanting short term deal last (and probably this) time is the part that puts Dak in the shared 'blame' category.
I'd guess the issue is length.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, this must be a 'power struggle' on the contract. Being fair to Jerry (he@vans forbid), if Dak gets a similar contract (market setting, length, NTC, no FT)....then we are going to find it difficult, if we want to keep Micah, CeeDee and the deferred CAP payments we'll have to add on.
There is absolutely no point in Jerry killing 2024 by going ALL-IN when Dak can walk away (leaving us in CAP Hell in 2025, with no QB).
I just heard that Justin Jefferson turned down a 30 million dollar a year contract. The salary cap just went up and it will go up more next season. None of the big three is going to sign early. Bosa did not sign early. Now Jefferson. Look at Burns. It’s not easy.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Spot on. Dak wanting short term deal last (and probably this) time is the part that puts Dak in the shared 'blame' category.
I'd guess the issue is length.
The Cowboys want Dak to sign a long out dated contract that they can restructure at their leisure. France is right to balk at that. He wants Dak to be a free agent every three years so he can keep getting guaranteed money. This going to be a tough negotiation for both Dak and the Cowboys.