How we can get rid of Dak easiest financially?

Adreme

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Sitting Dak affects Dak’s earning capacity. How many endorsement deals does Cooper Rush have as the Dallas Cowboys’ backup? If he has ANY of consequence, I would be surprised.

How much endorsement money will it cost Dak to ride the pine a year? On top of that, do you think his new team would have a warm fuzzy feeling about paying him one of the highest salaries in the history of football to be rusty after he has sat out a full year? You REALLY don’t think that would cost Dak?
Cooper Rush does not have the pedigree Dak has. Dak has 8 years of tape that made GMs owners and scouts rank him as a top 10 QB. Dak is coming off a 2nd team all pro year. For a similar comparison Watson did not lose value when he sat for a year. In fact he gained it for a similar reason Dak would: the offense would look significantly worse without him.

Basically here are the scenarios for next year based on this idea:
Dak plays next year and replicates last year- Dak's leverage is the same or higher and he signs highest QB contract in NFL history
Dak plays next year and gets hurt- Dak's leverage goes down and he might have to take 50m instead
Dak plays next year and the offense is top 10 instead of top 3- No change from first option
Dak plays next year and has an awful year- Probably has to take 40-45m as there would be an owner who would believe it is a one off
Dak is sat next year and the offense struggles- Dak's leverage is the same or higher and he signs highest QB contract in NFL history
Dak is sat next year and the offense does well- Dak's leverage is lower and he has to take less

Watson has shown sitting out a year does not affect a QBs value especially when the offense struggles without you (which the Cowboys offense so far looks like it will take a step back anyway). That means no one would care if he was sat because the other owners would just dismiss it as a dumb JJ move of which there are plenty.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
and replacing Dak, unless you have a Stroud to take over turns us into the Jets. There is no sure thing when it comes to QBs. No chance we will be drafting high enough to land a Stroud. Even if we were, there is no guarantee you get a Stroud. Ask the Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, and on and on and on.
I think you're giving way too much credit to the QB position. Good teams with bad to mid QBs make the playoffs all the time. The Browns made the playoffs last year with a combo of Watson/Flacco/Thompson-Robinson. With the last three years we've seen the Dolphins back in with Skylar Thompson, Jimmy G made a super bowl with SF, Tannehill with the Titans, Pickett with Pittsburgh, Murray with the Cardinals, Mayfield with Tampa, Goff went from a joke to a playoff QB as Detroit got better, Smith with Seattle, and I'm not sure that Purdy is as good without a stacked team around him.

It's a very valid argument to say that the Cowboys are better with Dak, but I can't get on board with this black and white take of either you have a QB so you're a good team or you don't have a QB so you're a bad team. I look back at 2023 and honestly if Dak were never on the roster I dont think this team wins the division, but I do think they still make the playoffs.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think you're giving way too much credit to the QB position. Good teams with bad to mid QBs make the playoffs all the time. The Browns made the playoffs last year with a combo of Watson/Flacco/Thompson-Robinson. With the last three years we've seen the Dolphins back in with Skylar Thompson, Jimmy G made a super bowl with SF, Tannehill with the Titans, Pickett with Pittsburgh, Murray with the Cardinals, Mayfield with Tampa, Goff went from a joke to a playoff QB as Detroit got better, Smith with Seattle, and I'm not sure that Purdy is as good without a stacked team around him.

It's a very valid argument to say that the Cowboys are better with Dak, but I can't get on board with this black and white take of either you have a QB so you're a good team or you don't have a QB so you're a bad team. I look back at 2023 and honestly if Dak were never on the roster I dont think this team wins the division, but I do think they still make the playoffs.
I couldnt disagree more. I will not go into this QB discussion.... yet again.

khiladi

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So that travels anywhere Dak goes?
You think our player for player on offense is so drastically different than the Jets? Like I have said for years, most teams are similar enough and fall roughly along the same spot in the bell shaped curve.

So yea, I think Dak drastically improves the Jets, and Zach Wilson on Dallas and we win 8 games.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You think our player for player on offense is so drastically different than the Jets? Like I have said for years, most teams are similar enough and fall roughly along the same spot in the bell shaped curve.

So yea, I think Dak drastically improves the Jets, and Zach Wilson on Dallas and we win 8 games.
I’d love to test your theory.

Siroky

Reaction score
I have love for Dak as a leader of this team and what he’s done, but I don’t believe anyone not named Brady or Mchomes deserves to eat up that much of the salary cap. Another 12 win season is a beautiful thing, but another disappointing playoff exit is almost certain! ( I hope I have to eat my words). I would give the Dak team permission to seak a trade, and take a gamble on Lance who was highly though of by Shannahan but was inexperienced-and got injured. If Dak doesn’t want to be traded and get a top contract this year- make it clear Lance is the starter and roll with that

Rowdy1

Reaction score
It is a pipedream folks. Dak will get extended and probably be here when his kid graduates High School.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

Can we cut Prescott today if so, what would be the implication Moneywise?

What happens if we cut Dak after June 1?

What happens if we trade Dak?

Is there any way to cut him or trade him without incurring dead cap space?

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?
send Paulie Walnuts after him

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’d love to test your theory.
its not hard to test. Broncos sucked pre manning.... manning shows up and in 1st year they are a SB contender. manning goes away, they immediately sucked again.
Colts were SB contenders every year, Manning got hurt and missed the season going 2-14 and Colts got the 1st pick in the draft. Next year with Rookie Luck, Colts back to 11-5.
Steelers with big Ben, SB contenders basically every year, Big Ben retires, steelers drop off the planet. Cowboys were 12-4, then Romo gets hurt and they go to 4-12. Dak takes over next season and back to 13-3.
Saints with Brees were win the south 4 years in a row, Brees retires and Saints havent won one division title since, nor have they had double digit wins since he left after 4 consecutive double digit wins with him.
I can do this for days.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
its not hard to test. Broncos sucked pre manning.... manning shows up and in 1st year they are a SB contender. manning goes away, they immediately sucked again.
Colts were SB contenders every year, Manning got hurt and missed the season going 2-14 and Colts got the 1st pick in the draft. Next year with Rookie Luck, Colts back to 11-5.
Steelers with big Ben, SB contenders basically every year, Big Ben retires, steelers drop off the planet. Cowboys were 12-4, then Romo gets hurt and they go to 4-12. Dak takes over next season and back to 13-3.
Saints with Brees were win the south 4 years in a row, Brees retires and Saints havent won one division title since, nor have they had double digit wins since he left after 4 consecutive double digit wins with him.
I can do this for days.
Dak fans are funny.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can do this for days.
Except this is mostly false narratives you're throwing out there.

The Broncos were in the playoffs the year before manning arrived, won the super bowl with one of the worst version of Manning's career. The year after he left they still had a winning record.

The Steelers haven't had a losing season since Big Ben left.

The Colts are probably a good example post manning. They had back to back .500 records the last two years of Luck though so it's not like they were a loaded team that the bottom just fell out without a QB.

The Saints are a decent example too, but they also had several losing seasons with a healthy Drew Brees on the roster. They also haven't had this massive drop off either going from 12 wins with Brees to 9 wins with Winston, and faced cap issues once Brees left, part of the reason Payton left.

The 2014 Cowboys also missed significant time from Dez, McLain, Hitchens etc. ....I hate that he was even a Cowboy but Greg Hardy too. This is one of the best examples but that Cowboy team had a number of issues and threw in the towel after that Panther beatdown that year. The Cowboys are also 9-8 without Dak, most of those losses coming from the 2020 year when the didnt win with Dak either.

Not saying QBs dont matter but even in the examples you gave even going from HOF QB to scrub isn't making massive swings in most cases. It seems to be about a 3 game swing. Plenty of examples where teams move on from QBs and actually get better, we just saw one in Brady retiring.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?
The bigger question is WHAT'S YOUR BACKUP PLAN?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Hire a hitman.

Verdict

Reaction score
Cooper Rush does not have the pedigree Dak has. Dak has 8 years of tape that made GMs owners and scouts rank him as a top 10 QB. Dak is coming off a 2nd team all pro year. For a similar comparison Watson did not lose value when he sat for a year. In fact he gained it for a similar reason Dak would: the offense would look significantly worse without him.

Basically here are the scenarios for next year based on this idea:
Dak plays next year and replicates last year- Dak's leverage is the same or higher and he signs highest QB contract in NFL history
Dak plays next year and gets hurt- Dak's leverage goes down and he might have to take 50m instead
Dak plays next year and the offense is top 10 instead of top 3- No change from first option
Dak plays next year and has an awful year- Probably has to take 40-45m as there would be an owner who would believe it is a one off
Dak is sat next year and the offense struggles- Dak's leverage is the same or higher and he signs highest QB contract in NFL history
Dak is sat next year and the offense does well- Dak's leverage is lower and he has to take less

Watson has shown sitting out a year does not affect a QBs value especially when the offense struggles without you (which the Cowboys offense so far looks like it will take a step back anyway). That means no one would care if he was sat because the other owners would just dismiss it as a dumb JJ move of which there are plenty.
This post side steps my point about endorsements completely. If Dak isn’t the starting QB for the Cowboys next year, it will likely cost him endorsement money. That’s simply common sense.

That also doesn’t even take into account the ego bruise that sitting on the bench a year would cause Dak.

This may be a moot point because Jerry might not be willing to do that. But at some point, if Dak’s demands are too outrageous (that’s obviously in the eye of the beholder) the nuclear fallout options begin looking a LOT more enticing.

Do you want nuclear fallout and two first round picks or so for Dak

OR

One third round comp pick when he walks in free agency and harmony?

I’ll take the category “nuclear fallout + 2 first round picks” ALEX.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Wait for him to retire.

Adreme

Reaction score
This post side steps my point about endorsements completely. If Dak isn’t the starting QB for the Cowboys next year, it will likely cost him endorsement money. That’s simply common sense.

That also doesn’t even take into account the ego bruise that sitting on the bench a year would cause Dak.

This may be a moot point because Jerry might not be willing to do that. But at some point, if Dak’s demands are too outrageous (that’s obviously in the eye of the beholder) the nuclear fallout options begin looking a LOT more enticing.

Do you want nuclear fallout and two first round picks or so for Dak

OR

One third round comp pick when he walks in free agency and harmony?

I’ll take the category “nuclear fallout + 2 first round picks” ALEX.
I mean I would like 10 first round picks for Dak and 10 seconds and Mahomes as well if we are just making up things that are impossible. There is no world in which 2 first picks are on the table for Dak. I am not even sure at this point if you could pull that off if there were not a no trade clause because we are past that point. The only team in the NFL who had cap space, a good roster, and a QB need was the Falcons and that ship has sailed. You are talking about the difference between a 2nd and a 3rd at this point because unless you eat most of the salary this year a 1st is off the table.

This idea that he would lose endorsements is silly. Maybe 1/3 walk, and that is a stretch considering they do not walk when a player is injured, but that is inconsequential compared to the difference in what he makes over the next 4 years in salary.

However in addition to basically tanking the year by doing it, you lose the locker room on day 1. The moment you decide to start a drastically inferior player, and the locker room almost certainly knows Lance is just that, they realize winning is not a priority and suddenly you have lost the locker room. They are no longer buying into the words the coaches are saying and are now focused on looking out for themselves.

There is a reason nobody does it and it is because it would not work.