How we can get rid of Dak easiest financially?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Which he has no reason to do. If he sits out for a year he gets paid, is guaranteed to be healthy, and therefore have maximum value when the Cowboys look worse on offense. The only way Dak loses leverage is if he believes Lance would actually play well (no basis for this) which would harm his future value. The idea offers zero leverage otherwise because accepting a trade to a bad team actually puts him in a worse position so he could, and would, stick to his guns of only wanting to go to specific teams if this were the route the Cowboys went because it is the best thing for him.
#Lance

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No, he will cave and eventually a trade will happen
Why dont you people actually listen to what Jerry Jones says? He has said over and over and over that Dak will get a new deal. Why wont you people listen. Jerry tells us what he is going to do.... you just need to listen.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why dont you people actually listen to what Jerry Jones says? He has said over and over and over that Dak will get a new deal. Why wont you people listen. Jerry tells us what he is going to do.... you just need to listen.
Definitely a disconnect at this site versus the reality of this. Maybe because there’s so many Dak critics? Cowboys love consistency, and quarterback is the main position for that even if unfortunately, that consistency is failing in the playoffs. LOL.

IMO, The only thing going on right now is hardball contract negotiations with Dak. This is going to be like the Emmitt contract 30 years ago. How times change. Now we have no problem giving the star RB an overpay (Zeke) but won’t open up the wallet for a QB. Although I’m sure it was easier to open it with Aikman and his SB MVP resume. And this is one contract that I hope the Jones stay strong, because like @MountaineerCowboy thread, I see no reason why Dak should be paid much more than Kirk Cousins.

This one may end up with Dak leaving, but not because Jerry has some great strategy about quarterback, it’s just because they didn’t want to pay what he was asking. The only worst case scenario for this is what if the Cowboys were to go to the Super Bowl this year. They will end up regretting it, just like they did the first time when they wouldn’t give Dak what he wanted and by the time the contract came around, it was much worse.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have made a similar observation for how Jones has addressed the quarterback position for three decades. Some people see themselves as GMs and know the actions they would make are the correct ones. Same people fully reject what the actual GM and final decision maker for Dallas has done and will do instead. It is why the eventual befuddlement is always astounding.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah! All in!!!! Just listen to Jerry.

And the thread is on how to get rid of Dak. What Jerry does isn’t what this thread is about

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But he told us the truth about getting Dak resigned?
This is not the first time Jones has retained Dak Prescott as his franchise quarterback. Prescott is still on the roster. The likelihood that he will retain Prescott is exceptionally high.

However, we can table the what ifs for now and allow time to show what will actually happen. We can revisit your question at a later date.

chuck520

Reaction score
But it’s about Dak ;

Can one of you expert explain to me -,us How we can get rid of Dak easiest: financially.

Can we cut Prescott today if so, what would be the implication Moneywise?

What happens if we cut Dak after June 1?

What happens if we trade Dak?

Is there any way to cut him or trade him without incurring dead cap space?

I read that if we let him play the season out and then we trade him or he leaves next year we will still have $60 million in penalties is that correct?
Cowboys fans tradition of getting rid of our starting QB continues.......

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Cowboys fans tradition of getting rid of our starting QB continues.......
Ive never been a Dak fan... but the thought of having a Mac Jones or a Zach Wilson behind center for us for the next 4 or 5 seasons is not appealing. Dak played damn good last year. Yea he stunk in the playoffs blah blah blah....I guess the Bills should get rid of Allen, The Ravens should get rid of Lamar, and on and on. Because unless you have Mahomes, you have a bum, right?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He said “all in” also.

I guess he was lying about that though, right?
What exactly does "All in," mean? If he would have signed Josh Jacobs, would that have been all in? no, so we move up to Henry, is that now all in?

What is we signed Dillon and DeAndre Hopkins, is that now "All in?" All in means nothing to me. Saying Dak will get a new deal... yea, thats pretty specific.

This is a win, win for Dak IMO. He waits another year, QB market goes up. He is gonna get paid, and if you dont think another team would pay Dak top 3 QB money next year, I think you are mistaken.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What exactly does "All in," mean? If he would have signed Josh Jacobs, would that have been all in? no, so we move up to Henry, is that now all in?

What is we signed Dillon and DeAndre Hopkins, is that now "All in?" All in means nothing to me. Saying Dak will get a new deal... yea, thats pretty specific.

This is a win, win for Dak IMO. He waits another year, QB market goes up. He is gonna get paid, and if you dont think another team would pay Dak top 3 QB money next year, I think you are mistaken.
Then let Dak “win” by another team paying him.

Good for him.

I don’t care about Dak wins. I care about Cowboys wins.

Toro9

Reaction score
Get him to waive the trade clause. His agent must be a genius to have that included on top of a monstrous salary. Jerry, the billionaire got got.

Verdict

Reaction score
"Take our reduced deal or we will pay you to sit on the bench and then you sign a record deal next offseason after the offense takes a major step back and it makes you look significantly better". There is no leverage. The only way there would be leverage is if Lance was good but considering there is competition to be a backup that does seem likely.
I respectfully disagree. Sitting Dak affects Dak’s earning capacity. How many endorsement deals does Cooper Rush have as the Dallas Cowboys’ backup? If he has ANY of consequence, I would be surprised.

How much endorsement money will it cost Dak to ride the pine a year? On top of that, do you think his new team would have a warm fuzzy feeling about paying him one of the highest salaries in the history of football to be rusty after he has sat out a full year? You REALLY don’t think that would cost Dak?

Verdict

Reaction score
Definitely a disconnect at this site versus the reality of this. Maybe because there’s so many Dak critics? Cowboys love consistency, and quarterback is the main position for that even if unfortunately, that consistency is failing in the playoffs. LOL.

IMO, The only thing going on right now is hardball contract negotiations with Dak. This is going to be like the Emmitt contract 30 years ago. How times change. Now we have no problem giving the star RB an overpay (Zeke) but won’t open up the wallet for a QB. Although I’m sure it was easier to open it with Aikman and his SB MVP resume. And this is one contract that I hope the Jones stay strong, because like @MountaineerCowboy thread, I see no reason why Dak should be paid much more than Kirk Cousins.

This one may end up with Dak leaving, but not because Jerry has some great strategy about quarterback, it’s just because they didn’t want to pay what he was asking. The only worst case scenario for this is what if the Cowboys were to go to the Super Bowl this year. They will end up regretting it, just like they did the first time when they wouldn’t give Dak what he wanted and by the time the contract came around, it was much worse.
At some point Dak’s number is just too high to stomach. That number is probably way higher in Jerry’s mind than it is in mine. Fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) Dak is so greedy that he might price himself out of a job.

Dallas should set a top number as to what makes cap sense and then not exceed that number. If Dak will not accept that number, don’t wait. Put pressure on Dak by letting him know you are moving on and he can either ride the pine for a year or accept a trade.

This is the way.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Then let Dak “win” by another team paying him.

Good for him.

I don’t care about Dak wins. I care about Cowboys wins.
and replacing Dak, unless you have a Stroud to take over turns us into the Jets. There is no sure thing when it comes to QBs. No chance we will be drafting high enough to land a Stroud. Even if we were, there is no guarantee you get a Stroud. Ask the Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, and on and on and on.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
and replacing Dak, unless you have a Stroud to take over turns us into the Jets. There is no sure thing when it comes to QBs. No chance we will be drafting high enough to land a Stroud. Even if we were, there is no guarantee you get a Stroud. Ask the Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, and on and on and on.
The Jets would still be the Jets with Dak.