How worried would you be to face a Jason Garrett led team?

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
We all heard it here that Jerry proclaimed that teams will be in line for Garrett's services, so considering that Garrett will be the head coach of a NFL team in the next year or two how do you feel about facing a Garrett lead team?

Are you concerned that Garrett might actually be able to do something if he gets to call the shots, or are you like me and have pity for any team that gets suckered in by his manipulative rah rah coach speak?

I know most of us laugh that he was hired in the first place, but is there anyone that feels he could be a super bowl caliber coach? It's fun to talk about now because we've finally moved on and we can quit worrying about Jerry bringing him back.

Depends..... once he gets his team built, does he then have to switch and start using his backup qb?

ondaedg

Reaction score
He'd motion a WR off the TE and run the ball. Then he'd bring in a jumbo package and run the ball. On 3rd and 8 he'd throw a slant to the WR. Punt.

No I wouldn't be scared.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's an average coach and that's giving him more credit than he deserves. I would be shocked if he ever coached a team in the SB.

That's why I wanted Garrett gone. I considered his "we do what we do" philosophy a bigger liability as the teams get better and the stakes go up. "Good enough" ain't gonna win a ring against the best teams and best coaches looking for every edge they can find to gain another yard.

Should be a lot more fun watching games now that feeling of inevitable futility is gone. Now, there's a maybe.

I would have felt this way *this year* if they had fired Garrett with time to still make the playoffs.

People should tamp down expectations on McCarthy. We're losing a lot of players next year. This was the year to make a move. And we blew it. Blowing it this year doesn't entitle us to win next year with a relatively depleted roster.

So my expectations are down, but now I still have a little hope that *if* we make the playoffs, it's not *inevitably* futile.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Nah. He'll crack under the pressure of accountability.

In college he played for his dad. In Dallas he coached for his adopted dad. It probably will be a big shock to Garrett's system to be an employee and not part of the family business.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
During the regular season I don’t worry about any coaches, I worry about teams, and even then the term “worry” isn’t really appropriate because I don’t expect there not to be challenges. And that’s how I look at it widen facing a good team and coach - as a tough challenge. But that’s just the way it goes with sports. That’s the goal - to face challenges and overcome obstacles. If the Cowboys can do that they will have success, if not, they will fail. Accordingly, my worry is more with the Cowboys.

The exception to this is in the playoffs where the teams are better and one loss means the season is over.

As for Garrett specifically, he would fall somewhere in the mass of coaches that fall short of the 3-4 coaches in the NFL that have proven to be among the best year in and year out.

Valkyr

Reaction score
He won't be able to 'build' the Giants if he went there.

They seem to be firing people with the quickness over there, and he's not a second son to the owner a far as I know.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
Honestly I think Garrett is a very smart guy who knows football. I feel like his hands were consistantly bound by Jerry. I'll bet my crappy neighbors left testicle that Garrett envisioned himself having more freedom with the team...only to have to stand in a shadow created by Jerry. His mistake was probably not taking more control. Im sure he wanted to...but its Jerry...the guy that got rid of some of the best coaches (Landry, Johnson, Parcells).

I wont be surprised to see him head coaching again and surprising all of us with his success. Then we will all be here wondering why he couldnt do that in Dallas...when we all know the real reason.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We all heard it here that Jerry proclaimed that teams will be in line for Garrett's services, so considering that Garrett will be the head coach of a NFL team in the next year or two how do you feel about facing a Garrett lead team?

Are you concerned that Garrett might actually be able to do something if he gets to call the shots, or are you like me and have pity for any team that gets suckered in by his manipulative rah rah coach speak?

I know most of us laugh that he was hired in the first place, but is there anyone that feels he could be a super bowl caliber coach? It's fun to talk about now because we've finally moved on and we can quit worrying about Jerry bringing him back.
Well no , but it is possible all this has a positive effect on JG , and by that maybe he will grow, re evaluate, and change his ways and ideas,
he needs to remake himself if he wants to succeed.
He was way too comfy here.

CWR

Reaction score

He isn't horrible like most on here say. Hes mediocre. He can win some games and build a nice program, but he won't get you over the top. Any team he coaches at next will have a ceiling of the divisional round until proven otherwise.

Would I be worried to face him? Not really. Id expect he could beat us occasionally, but more often than not he would flounder.

CWR

Reaction score
Well no , but it is possible all this has a positive effect on JG , and by that maybe he will grow, re evaluate, and change his ways and ideas,
he needs to remake himself if he wants to succeed.
He was way too comfy here.

His arrogance was my biggest issue with him. I doubt he changes. He didn't put a lot of blame on himself in public and I dont believe he does in private either. He has conviction, no matter how misguided it may be. If he does adjust he'd likely over react and go too far in the opposite direction.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The most CZ move ever would be to fear Garrett and wish for him back reminiscing on what went RIGHT with him. It would only be right.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett relies solely on talent with his 50/50 brand of football so he can make any game a coin flip and he ends up 8-8 a lot because of that.