CFZ How Would Jimmy Johnson Handle the Cowboys Salary Cap in the 90's?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy would overpay for his own draftees to prove to the world that he is a football guy and drafts well.

He drafted Walsh with a 1st in the supplemental draft, gave up the 1st round overall pick the following year.
Some think he was genius for that, as he got a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or something like that from the Saints. Can't remember who he got with this picks. He got lucky he found another sucker to make a trade.

Then he traded picks to trade up to take Russell Maryland, one of his guys with the 1st overall pick. Solid player, but he did not need to do that. He was like a guy that won the Lotto and overpaid for for a sports car, but got got a souped up van.

He lucked into drafting Emmitt. Because he could not trade up to get any LB's, in Francis or Lathon.

The got 5 players and a few draft picks for Walker, that ended up being all those 1st to 3rd round picks. Depending if the players were released or not. He never had intended to keep any of them, but did keep Holt.
Darrin Nelson part of that trade, refused to pay for Dallas. So they worked out a deal, and sent Nelson to the Chargers, I think for a 2nd round pick. Which was great. Because if he had any ounce of success in Dallas. Then I doubt they would have taken Emmitt.

A lot of great manipulation but also a lot of luck.

Silly

Reaction score
Interesting food for thought.
Jimmy was not able to build a winner in Miami with the cap.
Really the Walker trade and shrewd drafting are what made Jimmy successful in Dallas.
That and the man could coach!

His biggest problem in Miami was Marino. He was at the end of his career. If I recall correctly, Dan pissed away a play off game with terrible play and Jimmy was out.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He drafted Walsh with a 1st in the supplemental draft, gave up the 1st round overall pick the following year.
Some think he was genius for that, as he got a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or something like that from the Saints. Can't remember who he got with this picks. He got lucky he found another sucker to make a trade.

Then he traded picks to trade up to take Russell Maryland, one of his guys with the 1st overall pick. Solid player, but he did not need to do that. He was like a guy that won the Lotto and overpaid for for a sports car, but got got a souped up van.

He lucked into drafting Emmitt. Because he could not trade up to get any LB's, in Francis or Lathon.

The got 5 players and a few draft picks for Walker, that ended up being all those 1st to 3rd round picks. Depending if the players were released or not. He never had intended to keep any of them, but did keep Holt.
Darrin Nelson part of that trade, refused to pay for Dallas. So they worked out a deal, and sent Nelson to the Chargers, I think for a 2nd round pick. Which was great. Because if he had any ounce of success in Dallas. Then I doubt they would have taken Emmitt.

A lot of great manipulation but also a lot of luck.
Somewhere around here, I posted that Johnson made some huge mistakes with draft picks and trades, but made up for it with his coaching ability.

The Walsh pick/trade wasn't a win, because it cost them Derrick Thomas.

Then again, maybe they don't deal for Haley in that case.

As far as Miami, I also lived there during that time and my buddies were huge Dolphins fans so I was often talking about the team.

The Marino thing isn't worth speculating on, and he publicly said he was happy with him. I didn't buy it.

Also, he left Wannstedt with an outstanding roster....and no QB. They tried to have Jay Fiedler drive the bus and thats just never gonna work.

Jimmy's personality was never going to be conducive to longevity. He took his shot, left a nice roster and HC job to his buddy, and took off for Marathon Key.

All of it was good enough for the HOF.

These days in Dallas, I'd rather see a few more personnel mistakes but some better coaching. Having the opposite hasn't worked out lately.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is Booger?
The owner of the Cowboys earned that nickname on the grand opening of his Big Top when he was caught on camera, the Boogertron and across American TVs a knuckle deep in one of his nostrils.

They lost the opener just like they lost the closer for Texas Stadium and he has been known only as Booger by me since. It is a bittersweet nickname for him because prior to that he was known as Ole Sphincter Face.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His biggest problem in Miami was Marino. He was at the end of his career. If I recall correctly, Dan pissed away a play off game with terrible play and Jimmy was out.
I don’t think Johnson really knew Marino was the sacred cow that he was in Miami. I think he thought if Montana and Farve could be traded, why not Marino?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interesting thought exercise but reality is Jimmy would do it about like Stephen does, as hurtful as that is to say/admit.

He'd keep only the very best vets and he'd replace everyone else in the draft.
He'd have horded supp draft picks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don’t think Johnson really knew Marino was the sacred cow that he was in Miami. I think he thought if Montana and Farve could be traded, why not Marino?
Jimmy 100% knew.
He made a mistake in ego. --thinking any job he took would be the best job.
He chose a bad Dolphins job that needed a complete overhaul with few tools to do so over better offers because he was deadset on South Florida and living in the Keys.
He could have had Jacksonville among other offers with more draft picks and cap space.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Only follow the Cowboys, but heard Marino was an issue for Jimmy.

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap began in 1994, the Cowboys first season without Jimmy Johnson.

Let's pretend that Jerry Jones was realistic about his role and Jimmy's role in the development of that potential dynasty. Jerry relinquishes his position as GM and rightfully offers the position to Jimmy if he agrees to a ten year contract. Let's say Jimmy agrees and is now the GM of the Dallas Cowboys as the NFL enters a new era, the era of the Salary Cap.

This could be controversial. I think Jimmy would have been bottom line. I believe he would not use loyalty as a criteria. I think his logic would have resembled that of Bill Belicek. Contracts would not have been used to reward past achievement. The contract amounts would have mirrored the perceived contribution of the player to future success at market value..

I think Jimmy's handling of the salary cap would have been strictly business, no emotional element other then some regret for not being able to keep a player or two.

Here are some changes I believe Jimmy would have made from what actually happened.

Jimmy would have never signed Dieon Sanders - No way! Not only would Jimmy consider Deion's impact be unequal to his salary, he would not have willingly given up on so many players he could have kept over the years with that salary amount.

Jimmy would never have traded two #1 picks for Joey Galloway. - Jimmy would have acquired most of the talent he needed in the draft. He cherished his #1 picks He might have signed a veteran free agent or two but only if the value was excellent

Jimmy wouldn't have signed Emmitt Smith to a third contract. before the 1996 season - At the very least it he wouldn't have made the 7th year veteran the highest paid player in the NFL at the time and it certainly wouldn't have been an eight year contract. It's possible he may have franchised him for 1996, a year in which Emmitt slid from 4.7 yards a carry to 3.7 yards a carry. Emmitt's prior five season average for yards from scrimmage was 1949 yards and that decreased by almost 500 yards in 1996 to 1453 yards. I tyhink 1996 would have been his last season with the Cowboys.

Jimmy would have been prepared for Troy's retirement - Jimmy would have drafted another QB well ahead of Troy's retirement after 1999. In fact, I doubt Troy would have still been with the Cowboys after the 1998 season. Most likely, his contract would not have been extended at that time.

• Jimmy would win with players on their rookie contract.
    • The majority of the star players in the 92 and 93 season were the equivalent of what today would be rookie contract players.
    • Haley was the only player that would have been a big contract type under today's rules.
    • Maybe Novacek. He made the Pro Bowl in 1991.
    • Ken Norton made his name in 92 & 93. He probably would have been a medium contract player at the beginning of 92.
    • Darren Woodson, Kevin Smith and Dixon Edwards were on the 92 roster and became starters in 93.
    • LB Darrin Smith was a rookie starter in 93.

• In 1992, starters and their years in the league:
    • 4th Troy Aikman*
    • 3th Emmitt Smith*+
    • 4th Daryl Johnston
    • 2th Alvin Harper
    • 5th Michael Irvin* (1st round pick would have 5th year option)
    • 8th Jay Novacek*+
    • 10th Mark Tuinei
    • 7th Nate Newton*
    • 4th Mark Stepnoski*
    • 6th John Gesek
    • 2th Erik Williams

• 4th Tony Tolbert
    • 7th Tony Casillas
    • 2th Russell Maryland
    • 7th Charles Haley
    • 5th Vinson Smith
    • 2th Robert Jones
    • 5th Ken Norton Jr.
    • 8th Issiac Holt
    • 2th Larry Brown
    • 6th Thomas Everett
    • 5th James Washington

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only follow the Cowboys, but heard Marino was an issue for Jimmy.
@Silly

The Dolphins owner refused to let Jimmy cut or trade Marino.

That was the beginning of the end for Jimmy.

Jimmy' coaching style required that him to be the undisputed King of the Castle and that was not possible with Marino remaining.

Jimmy stayed an extra year because the owner agree to hire David Wannstedt as D-Coordinator and assistant Head Coach.
- Jimmy set it up for Wannstedt to become the next Head Coach.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The owner of the Cowboys earned that nickname on the grand opening of his Big Top when he was caught on camera, the Boogertron and across American TVs a knuckle deep in one of his nostrils.

They lost the opener just like that lost the closer for Texas Stadium and he has been known only as Booger by me since. It is a bittersweet nickname for him because prior to that he was known as Ole Sphincter Face.

Disrespectful.
Come on, we know you hate him. But when I read those type of names, it loses credibility.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Too many fans points to Jimmy’s time in Miami as a big failure. Jimmy did a good job there, but it was going to take a little longer to build a great team. It is hilarious to listen to the fans that wants to label him as a loser. He was the best coach in the league at the time.
I love Jimmy but without the Walker trade I think Dallas never sniffs the SB, they were able to leverage so much talent from the picks they got that they were drafting high in rounds due to how hamstrung Minny was and NO was due to the walsh trade. Sorry to say if the Walker trade didn't happen Jimmy would have been ridden out on a rail by year 3.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jimmy wouldn't being he was never the GM for the Dallas Cowboys franchise nor any other. Not up to head coaches anyway.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disrespectful.
Come on, we know you hate him. But when I read those type of names, it loses credibility.
Are you saying this is the first time you knew that was my nickname for him? I thought you were screwing around.

I do not hate him; I have an intense dislike of him and his annoying personality and need to be some Kardashian bimbo.

What is it with this "disrespectful" stuff? I have 0 respect for him as a man and that is the only respect important to me. I do respect his right to run his business as he sees fit and I was a Cowboys fan long before he bought the team and since the day he bought it, didn't spend a dime with his club.

After that, I had a decision to make. Find another team or avoid all exposure to him and do my best to ignore who owns my team that became my team after a heart breaking loss.

Why in the hell does anyone here care about whether I respect him or not? When I think he or his son have made a good move, I give them credit.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

They lost the opener just like they lost the closer for Texas Stadium and he has been known only as Booger by me since. It is a bittersweet nickname for him because prior to that he was known as Ole Sphincter Face.
I still remember that from the old boards.

Reactions: BAT

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Jimmy but without the Walker trade I think Dallas never sniffs the SB, they were able to leverage so much talent from the picks they got that they were drafting high in rounds due to how hamstrung Minny was and NO was due to the walsh trade. Sorry to say if the Walker trade didn't happen Jimmy would have been ridden out on a rail by year 3.
Jimmy catches a lot of praise in contrast to those that came after him.

A lot of things fell into place for him like falling back on Emmitt after he missed out on Francis. And Turner and Wannstedt as his coordinators doesn't get enough love. Jimmy had Dave at Miami as his DC but Turner was the reason there were the triplets and the focus on the OL. Aikman, Irvin and Smith just took off when Turner arrived and Jimmy does get credit for hiring him because he was a risk and did not have NFL credentials. But his effect on that offense is as credit worthy as Johnson's on the whole team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still remember that from the old boards.
Several members had that still photo of him in their sigs.

I started that the night that happened and didn't catch as much flak over there as I do here and I don't get why anyone cares what I call him. If I had the displeasure to meet him, that's what I would call him so he could put a face with CouchCoach, the man that has called him Booger for almost 13 years. And since he is an ego driven narcissist, I know he read the boards on his site because he could not resist and is sensitive and wants to be adored.

But my favorite part of that was when Don, our resident illustrator, did the Booger & Son plumbers' van. I laughed long time at that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
@Silly

The Dolphins owner refused to let Jimmy cut or trade Marino.

That was the beginning of the end for Jimmy.

Jimmy' coaching style required that him to be the undisputed King of the Castle and that was not possible with Marino remaining.

Jimmy stayed an extra year because the owner agree to hire David Wannstedt as D-Coordinator and assistant Head Coach.
- Jimmy set it up for Wannstedt to become the next Head Coach.
Thanks, good info

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I thought both Jerry Jones and Jimmie Johnson were pretty equally to blame for their breakup.

There wasn't nearly enough room in Dallas for those two enormously inflated egos to co-exist.

It really seemed that with the passage of time and the glory to be shared, disaster was certain.

Their winnings were to their credit. How they'd have handled the salary cap is anyone's guess.

Last edited: