How would you defeat the Cowboys if you were Jay Gruden?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'm not reading this whole thread but I was surprised how little the Giants pressed. I don't think giving Amari a free release is a good idea.
Also I wonder how every other defense handles PA that involves pulling guards. I re watched the game and the Giants were doing it to us with decent results.

PA as in play action, yeah it seems they bit on almost every one lol

Dak has fine tuned his game thanks to Kitna fixing his mechanics, footwork, and Moore’s play calling..

quickccc

Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

How do you plan on defeating the Cowboys?

work out at our biggest weakest vs our defense -
1 no huddle offense
2 use misdirection plays
3 use plays that best exploit the middle of the defense - especially vs run at DTs
4 i'm taking some deep ball shots at 'Cheeto" Awuzie and his inability to turn his head in bump/run coverage

vs Cowboys offense:
- blitz-overloads and exotic blitzes such as disguised blitzes (fake a blitz at line and drop & bail into zone coverages)
- mixture of zone blitzes and man
- 3-4 schemes that can rush/or back out in coverage with OLBs could present problems vs pass

garyo1954

Reaction score
1 no huddle offense
2 use misdirection plays
3 use plays that best exploit the middle of the defense - especially vs run at DTs
4 i'm taking some deep ball shots at 'Cheeto" Awuzie and his inability to turn his head in bump/run coverage

vs Cowboys offense:
- blitz-overloads and exotic blitzes such as disguised blitzes (fake a blitz at line and drop & bail into zone coverages)
- 3-4 schemes that can rush/or back out in coverage with OLBs could present problems vs pass

You know we're talking about the Commanders? You can't expect them to remember all that!

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Step 1: Tell my players on offense to hand the ball to Cowboys players and step aside. On defense, just get out of the way.
Step 2: Once the Cowboys are up 21-0 with less than 1 minute of game time gone, expect Jason Garrett to demand that his coordinators throw out all scouting, schemes and game plans. They will play prevent defense and run the ball up the middle exclusively for the next 59 minutes.
Step 3: Rack up hundreds of yards by 8 yard at a time plays on offense as the defense plays a cover 11 scheme 20 yards downfield. Put 11 men in the box on defense expecting no throws downfield.

Result: 42-21 Skins victory.

quickccc

Reaction score
You know we're talking about the Commanders? You can't expect them to remember all that!

nor the personnel to handle both vs pass and zeke elliott ... and if our OL remains stout vs the likes of ryan kerrigan ..it's going to be tough
for that skins defense to have to keep up with us. ..:rolleyes:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Considering Moore's college history, I don't know that scaring the "bejeesbus" out of him would be very easy.

i really ont mean it as a bad thing, but ths is the pros. sometimes even bad coords are better than we realize KM will have to pay his dues sometime

quickccc

Reaction score
1 no huddle offense
2 use misdirection plays

vs Cowboys offense:

and this just wont be the Deadskins plan of action - its' going to be a game plan of every team we face- the Pats as they do, may have a different plan,
and you know hwo Belly likes to scheme em up against you .
but wassat ole saying?.... ' ..." everyone has a game plan-....until they get hit in the mouth "

leeblair

Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

After I shoot myself, I:
Double team Cooper, spy Zeke and take the passing game away with Zone and then run blitz to hit Dak as often as possible.
On offense run, run, run the ball and crash the line.
The game is always the same- you have to own the line of scrimmage.

Shane612

Reaction score
Pressure and harass Dak.
Blitz......
Run straight at the Dallas defense.
Try to exploit the Dallas corners and safeties.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Find wherever Jeff Heath is. Prosper.

This poor guy gets no respect. All he's done is start 31 game the last two years, record 148 tackles, 30 asists, with 4 picks and 3 FF. He's handled kickoffs and kicked extra points! What's he got to do? Hand out tacos or something?

Wood

Reaction score

I would make it dirty in sense of taking away chunk passing plays by Dak. Make Zeke and his non-ready yet body take pounding running for hard yards between tackles. Skins have length at DE so outside corners might not be there for Zeke. On Offense, I would keep running at Dallas DT..they eventually give in and big runs will be available. I would also not be afraid of attacking Chido who has not progressed as pure cover CB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This poor guy gets no respect. All he's done is start 31 game the last two years, record 148 tackles, 30 asists, with 4 picks and 3 FF. He's handled kickoffs and kicked extra points! What's he got to do? Hand out tacos or something?
There are plenty of players in NFL history just like him.

Good enough. At the moment. Still does not mean they are functional.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Put the game in Peterson's hands. Lean very heavily on the running game and then try to exploit the Cowboys middle of the field with quick throws against the safeties.

Use a lot of play action and try to hit some deep ones if Peterson can gash the Cowboys D-line.

On defense, just go 100% after Dak as much as possible. Don't be reactive, try to throw the Dallas offense off its game. Hope Moore can't adjust and burn you.

garyo1954

Reaction score
There are plenty of players in NFL history just like him.

Good enough. At the moment. Still does not mean they are functional.

I'm just going to say he's been successful. Came in from a small school as an undrafted FA (27th ranked Safety), beat out five others for a roster spot, going on 7 years, making $7.6 million this year and married to a former Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.