How would you fix this defense going forward

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Not just right now, but even after the season. Its obvious this defense will hold this team back from being even close to a contender

Its been approximately 11 years since we fielded any semblance of a reliable defense.

The dumb owner and his son obviously have 0 idea how to fix that side of the ball.

Cutting Tank and Jaylon are probably the most popular option, but not realistic.

What would you do?
Sell our corporate soul to get ET type players and lessen salary demands.
Heh.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not just right now, but even after the season. Its obvious this defense will hold this team back from being even close to a contender

What the...?

I thought it was Dak's fault, going by what you posted earlier. Have you finally set aside your bias and seen the light?

I'm guessing the answer will be "no", but I tend to be cynical.

quickccc

Reaction score
This defense is ok. Seattle was the first good team we were facing. They did good. We had a chance at the end.

They did not play DLaw a lot. So thats a good sign regarding the coaches.

i believe Dlaw was trying to gut it out with a bum knee - may have gotten worse by games's end ... albeit Griffin taking his snaps at LDE

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd like to see more of Trysten Hill and Antwaun Woods at DT.
i expected more from Poe...just not seeing it from him...yet.
i like DLaw and Griffen with their hands down.
Aldon is an animal and seems to excel as the chess piece...i'd move him around all over the place.
i'd blitz a lil more.
as for the secondary...pray.

Reactions: CWR

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Lets be real here, we made a mistake not re-signing Byron Jones. Yea he wasnt spectacular but we couldve had him on DK and doubled Lockett.

We let him go because “he didnt create turnovers” yet this defense has caused exactly 1 Turnover so far in 3 games.

Aven8

Reaction score
Lets be real here, we made a mistake not re-signing Byron Jones. Yea he wasnt spectacular but we couldve had him on DK and doubled Lockett.

We let him go because “he didnt create turnovers” yet this defense has caused exactly 1 Turnover so far in 3 games.

He’s in the tub with Awuzie and Brown right now..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Need a fat guy in the middle. McCoy was supposed to be that guy but he got injured. Need better linebackers.

Our problem at LB, historically, has been keeping players beyond their expiration dates.
Recent cases as in Lee and now LV.
ALL I ASK IS THE BIGGEST, FASTEST MEANEST LB IN THE 2ND ROUND.
Likewise, backfield.
This I believe, govnor.

superonyx

Reaction score
Today we witnessed safties that seem to not know their assignments. A few plays can be blamed on physical limitations but overall the issue was mental mistakes.

Who's fault is this?

I blame the organization for flipping so many players including CB's into the safety position this summer. Instead of signing a real safety combo and allowing them to master this position we had several guys rolling in and out the the position.
Anytime someone wanted ET the message board mob would chime in with some talk about how we are good enough at safety.

This is an organizational problem. We should have improved at this position and brought in vets who don't need to learn this position on the fly during a time when an entirely new defense was being installed and taught.

We finally dumbed down the defensive front assignments some and we got some pressure today on Wilson.
Installing a complex defense is something that takes time and it takes players who understand their assignments without hesitation.

We failed in this regard.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He’s in the tub with Awuzie and Brown right now..
True but this isnt just about the right now

Im thinking more long term.

This team wont compete for a SB with this QB AND a poor defense. We either have to have one of the super-elites (Russ, Mahomes, Rodgers) or a top-5 ish defense (Pitt, Indy, Bal).

If Fat Mike cant turn this around, the next hire needs to be a defensive minded guy. The front office has absolutely 0 idea how to build a defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its been approximately 11 years since we fielded any semblance of a reliable defense.

The dumb owner and his son obviously have 0 idea how to fix that side of the ball.

Cutting Tank and Jaylon are probably the most popular option, but not realistic.

What would you do?

I find defensive tackle play to be a big disappointment. McCoy got hurt before we could ever see him, and the other two guys playing 3T failed to impress. And I expected more out of Poe as well, he seems indifferent out there and just collecting a paycheck.

And of course Lawrence continues to disappoint and Griffen doesn't look as good as advertised.

The entire secondary just sucks.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well....honestly going forward....Here is a few things I would try going forward.....First...gotta ditch Nolan...then promote George Edwards

1. Ditch the 3-4....We just don't have the LBers to make it work.

2. I would move D-Law to the right side. He had more success here in Boise playing on the right side. He's being paid big money to get to the QB....you got to be playing him on 3rd down.

3. @ this point...I'm on the Earl Thomas bandwagon. How can it be worse than what we got now?

4. We gotta find some LBers that can run. Jaylon is killing us. He's a 2 down LBer @ the most....