How would you fix this defense going forward

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cutting Tank and Jaylon are probably the most popular option, but not realistic.

Tank's salary is already guaranteed for 2021.
Jaylon will be guaranteed for 2021 in March.

We'd eat a lot of cap to dump Jaylon, but we'd save 7mil in salary. Maybe worth it. Let's see how he plays this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not just right now, but even after the season. Its obvious this defense will hold this team back from being even close to a contender

Its been approximately 11 years since we fielded any semblance of a reliable defense.

The dumb owner and his son obviously have 0 idea how to fix that side of the ball.

Cutting Tank and Jaylon are probably the most popular option, but not realistic.

What would you do?

blitz more....way more. They are doing nothing by holding back. It’s stops nothing. They give up big plays anyway because the qb has all day. We have worst pass rush in nfl.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not just right now, but even after the season. Its obvious this defense will hold this team back from being even close to a contender

Its been approximately 11 years since we fielded any semblance of a reliable defense.

The dumb owner and his son obviously have 0 idea how to fix that side of the ball.

What would you do?
I may be wrong, but I just don't see it as fixable as is. Rebuild it.

kskboys

Reaction score
This defense is ok. Seattle was the first good team we were facing. They did good. We had a chance at the end.

They did not play DLaw a lot. So thats a good sign regarding the coaches.
If ok means terrible.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Need to get an Alpha in the secondary. This secondary is SOFT. The only player worth keeping after this year is Diggs. Next get a true athletic MLB. Teams see our safeties and LBs right now and just laugh.

lockster

Reaction score
Cut Nolen, the guy is determined to force his system on players that don't fit it. He needs to work for belicheck a few years to learn how to run a defense. Belicheck could make our guys good, maybe not great, but good or good enough. Nolen sucks. John fassel sucks. Moore needs to allow McCarthy to call plays because he still is in a losers mode of calling plays, esp. considering dak can't throw timing passes

Majic

Reaction score
In the off season I would be looking to switch to a base 3-4. I want Smith, Gregory and Anae as my OLB and would be looking to add to that. I want some weight in the middle of the line and would want to upgrade here. Other pieces I think would fall into place. I would incorporate 4-3 looks so I would want versatility. What I don't want is 2 DE with there hand on the ground every play. I've seen enough of that over the last decade. I believe Mike Nolan needs to be given time to undertake a rebuild of this DEF.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What would you do?
We don't have the GM or CAP to fix anything at this point.
And if goofy Jerry gives inept Prescott a mega-deal get used to not having a defense for another 5 years minimal...

P.S. The defense has been ranked 11th the past 6 years its the offense you need to look for our woes as they simply can't score early and often and die when facing a quality defense!
Atlanta and Hawks are the 31st and 32 nd ranked pass defenses in the NFL currently with injuries galore during both of our games!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This defense is ok. Seattle was the first good team we were facing. They did good. We had a chance at the end.

Only the Vikings and Falcons have given up more points than Dallas. This defense is AWFUL.

Blue64

Reaction score

The defense is ok?
If by your definition okay means the only player out there that made an impact is a guy that hasn’t played in 5 years, sure okay?

Reality check, nothing is ok with this defense and the fact that D-Laugh sat on his *** instead of playing speaks volumes in itself.
Or that our secondary can’t cover anyone? How many Seattle drives continued because our players committed stupid penalties because they were getting beaten.

A good sign regarding the coaches not playing your supposed stud DE? Are you for real?

By the way the first good team they’ve played might I remind you the Rams beat us and they seem pretty good so far.
Only the ineptitude of the Atlanta Falcons has saved this team from being 0-3 so come on down and back to Earth.
Good teams are supposed to be resilient and find ways to win... not count on the other team being worse than they are.
Go watch that game again, if it wasn’t for Diggs knocking the ball out of a cocky players hands, that final drive would have been meaningless.

DanA

Reaction score
Even after re-structures with Dak and draft picks we're not going to have room for more than one veteran player:

Defensive Line:
LDE
: Lawrence / Armstrong
RDE: A.Smith / Gregory / Anae
3T: Hill / Gallimore
1T: Poe / 4th round pick

I really think the D-line is massively underachieving. I can't understand why we haven't been able to create pressure considering Lawrence / Griffen have each been Pro-bowlers two out of the last three years. Armstrong, Anae, Hill, and Gallimore have flashed as young talents and should improve. Gregory is just a bonus at this stage.

Linebackers:
MIKE:
?? / Thomas
WILL: LVE / J.Smith / Bernard
SAM: J.Smith / Gifford

I don't think the LB's are any good and I'd be seriously tempted to flip a late pick for veteran offloading Jaylon Smith.

Secondary
RCB
: Diggs / Worley
LCB: ?? / Robinson
SCB: Brown / ??
SS: Free agent / Thompson
FS: ?? / Wilson

I'd complete the rebuild of the secondary by adding another four DB's through the draft and free agency.

Blue64

Reaction score
Need a fat guy in the middle. McCoy was supposed to be that guy but he got injured. Need better linebackers.
You also need someone who is making 20M a season show up for a game, instead of relying on the guy who has been out for 5 years.

To the all the D-Laugh fans don’t bother replying with your petty excuses about him being double teamed... etc...

Go Watch the game... again

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
You also need someone who is making 20M a season show up for a game, instead of relying on the guy who has been out for 5 years.

To the all the D-Laugh fans don’t bother replying with your petty excuses about him being double teamed... etc...

I agree, but I did say that this would happen with DLaw, he never shows up against better teams, when the teams are bad he wracks up his sack totals and everyone at the end of the day thinks he’s great when in truth he is a below average guy being paid like an elite player, if anything has hurt the Cowboys for the last 20+ years it is writing contracts for players who are average,

DuncanIso

Reaction score

What would you do?

1) fire Nolan

2) Edwards is the new DC

DuncanIso

Reaction score

something is wrong with DLaw.

no speed and his strength is gone.