CZ POLL How would you rate the Cowboys pre-draft off-season so far?

How would you rate the Cowboys pre-draft off-season so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Graded a B.

While I love the Hankins signing I have serious doubts he will make it through all 17 games plus playoffs. I also have a huge ? on who they brought in for LG. With how well they typically draft the overall offseason grade will likely be B+ or an A-

Pass2Run

Reaction score
My only beef was firing Moore. Despite what most say, I still think Moore is a top 5 OC.

Still, I could be wrong..maybe it works out.

I just don't have much faith in McCarthy. His call on 4th and 10 was boneheaded and assured we lost to San Fran.

He should have went for it on 4th and 10..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My only beef was firing Moore. Despite what most say, I still think Moore is a top 5 OC.

I just don't have much faith in McCarthy. His call on 4th and 10 was boneheaded and assured we lost to San Fran.

Moore is DEFINITELY not top 5. First of all he featured Zeke in the offense and in the run game.

Cant be great if you do that over Pollard.

Then the simplicity and undisciplined nature of the routes of receivers was bad. Not good enough use of his personnel. Pollard was underused.

Techsass

Reaction score
I gave us a B. Not sure if the trades for Cooks & Gilmore technically count in this poll, but that was a nice change from our usual off season deals. Add in the CAP friendly resignings of our own producing players and I'm fairly optimistic about next season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is a very important draft this time; Just going by the best player available isn't sufficient. This year's 1 and 2 round has to provide an immediate producer that also projects strongly going forward. Upgrading the offense and defense in short yardage situations.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I gave it a B, which is an upgrade from the past. We're off to a good start. Let's hope our newfound aggressiveness pays off in the draft. Add that same improvement to the veteran free agent acquisitions and we'll all be happy campers. Continued boldness from our FO would be well received.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That gaff you mentioned was a serious brain fart, to be sure. It had him throwing down his clipboard in frustration. He doesn't always respond well to pressure situations. Vitamin B-12 might help to relieve his vulnerability to stress -- of course, I'm being very optimistic here. ;)

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
- Brandin Cooks - WR
- Stevon Gilmore - CB
- Donovan Wilson - S
- LVE - LB
- Ron Jones - RB
- Jon Hankins NT

- Cooks is an established vet WR whose long reputed as one of the premiere speed WRs and deep threats in the game.
- Gilmore maybe up there in age, but he is still playing very solid ball, and he's being asked to be No.2 not the lead CB here.
- i thought Wilson was a goner, but Cowboys convinced/determined to re-sign him. Physical player with knack for big plays
- LVE was only established off ball LB we have, and we managed to re-sign him. Prefer Wagner over LVE, but those the breaks.
- Jones is a vet who club desired to side with Pollard. Tough with solid run instincts.
- Hankins was instant help in ' 22 as a run stuffer. Clogs lane and even surprised with a couple of sacks. Re-sign was a key plus.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there was an A- selection I may have gone with that. They kept more free agents than I expected and they added to quality veterans at two big positions of need.

If they had done something to strengthen their interior on both lines, it’s an A+ for me.

conner01

Reaction score
If there was an A- selection I may have gone with that. They kept more free agents than I expected and they added to quality veterans at two big positions of need.

If they had done something to strengthen their interior on both lines, it’s an A+ for me.
Now we need a draft that’s not only an A on draft day but still an A 3-4 years down the road

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No I don’t remember that and you did say Parsons was a bad pick.
Oh, you definitely said those exact words and you are misquoting me. I always loved Parsons! Stop trying to instigate an argument.

quickccc

Reaction score

I think i gave them A, with not only key players re-signed, (ala Wilson, LVE, Hankins) but also key coaches moves in both departing and returning.
For 2nd str8 year, i was floored that we were able to retain Dan Quinn as DC.

- The shock that this usual very off-season conservative team actually went out to do very key transactions made this a totally different face.
and this does not carry the Gerald McCoy, Aldon Smith, Everson Griffin, Dontari Poe, Darryl Worley FA group move that went totally wasted.

- Moore is a solid overall OC, hard to discount this team being among top NFL offenses statistically on almost annually basis, but he had key limits and flaws that held this back
too much, too often.

- And the heart breaking roster move that was inevitable. The release cut of RB Zeke Elliott, whose career was ruined by ex-HC Jason Garrett.
This team used to traditionally hang on to beloved players to a huge fault. Seem to be much better at cutting loose ties as such.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
B, but really a B+

A+ ~ They made trades for 2 players that help immediately, did not break the cap. And only gave up late round picks, that would have basically been throw away picks.
A+ ~ Retained Quinn, jettisoned Moore. Made a few other coaching moves.
A- ~ Retained some own FA's for starters and depth as they usually do, and did not lose any major player in FA. And did not overpay other FA's, because of those trades mentioned above.

B ~ Restructered a few contracts to create more salary cap, including Zeke's release, it is not like we all did not know that was going to happen.
C+ ~ this is what brings it down for me. Restructered Dak's contract, and it has nothing to do with Dak. It has to do with his cap hit of $59 million in 2024. So now they are stuck with having to do something there, again. Now if the truly renegotiate it, that raises the grade. As the poll was ...to this point....

F ~ Rowdy is still here, but that is above on the field / FO moves.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good.

The trades for Cooks and Gilmore deserve an A. Re-signing Wilson deserves an A.

Re-signing Hankins probably a B at this point in his career, which is why he signed for cheap. Would rather have gotten younger. LVE was not a bad re-signing, but we could have tried to upgrade, so he'd be a B. And Fowler is OK depth, so that could be counted as a B. Signing Trey Seig when we lost the long snapper also was a B move

The cheap signings of Jones II and Edoga do nothing to move the team forward, though. They are Cs at best. And we did nothing to fix the kicker spot, which means we either have to fix it in the draft or sign one of the vets still out there, which includes Maher. We also didn't replace lost depth at LB or TE. I'd prefer to fill those spots with vets, even if we draft the position, and make it to where players have to win a roster spot instead of being handed one.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Really happy with how they handled our own free agents. I thought McG and Schultz needed to move on and they did. Wanted us to re-sign DW, LVE and Fowler and they did.

Gilmore and Cooks were shrewd moves but we fell off a bit after that. Not really sure how much Chuma and RJ will contribute this season.

Solid B turns into a solid A with a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.