Hypothetical Draft Situation w/ Peterson

Jake0

Reaction score
dwmyers;1424677 said:
I see him often dropping to 8 in my mocks, once to 10th and another time to 15th. I don't see him ever dropping to 15th again, because the Bills created a hole when they traded McGahee.

I don't think Peterson is worth a 1st, 2nd, and Julius myself. If I were to move up in this draft into the 6-10 range, it'd be for an elite defensive lineman, and I wouldn't give up a veteran to do it. If by some miracle I were to get into the top 3, I'd be praying Oakland and Detroit wouldn't draft Calvin Johnson.

David.

Wow, someone finally gives a constructive reply. Well now I think this thread could be getting somewhere actually after seeing that rumor with Detroit/Cleveland. Pretty much no reason for Cleveland to want to trade up if it's just going to take Peterson. Cleveland could be impressed with Quinn and take him, which means Peterson drops. Since Crenell is close with Weiss he could get tons of inside info. I don't see how someone could put their life on Cleveland taking Peterson, although I did get a good laugh out of it.

All I made the thread for was to see if people would want to take action if Peterson dropped down to the 8-10 range and instead the replies were riddled with nothing but Peterson is going at #3 trash.

To me, our 1st, 2nd, Julius, and a couple of 2nd day picks to move up to the 8-10 spot or whatever to get Peterson is a deal I'd easily do. If it costs more I probably wouldn't be for it. I've always been a Julius fan, and he's pretty good, but Peterson is better. I do kind of want to see what Julius would do behind our new line and under a new coach but if the opportunity is there, I think we're in a good position to do this kinda deal.

p.s. is it just me or does it seem like the majority of posters here just read the topic, click the link and go straight to the reply button without even bothering to read 2 paragraphs?

dboyz

Reaction score
AP is a special player. I don't think I'd make a move even if he fell to 8, unless Houston was a pretty motivated seller. Now if he dropped to 10-11-12, I'd consider swapping firsts, plus JJ and a 3rd this year or maybe a second next year, at the very most.

With our line, I think a back like AP could be terrific. However, our combo of JJ and Barber is nothing sneeze at, so I wouldn't be wanting to give up the farm as it's not exactly as if we are bare at the position now.

You should draft the same way you should buy a car or a house. Don't fall in love with a particular model. Let the draft come to you. If AP drops I'd be interested, the same if Calvin Johnson dropped (of course won't happen) Gaines Adams or a number of other players.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jake0;1425034 said:
To me, our 1st, 2nd, Julius, and a couple of 2nd day picks to move up to the 8-10 spot or whatever to get Peterson is a deal I'd easily do.
Nothing personal, but I am very glad you are not our GM. One starting player and 4 draft picks to move up 18 spots or so is far to much.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We have a potential SB contender. We are not in need of a RB IMO. This is a deep draft. If we keep still we will get a starting FS, CB, or another starter.

Peterson is a good pick IMO for someone in the 8-20 range who needs a RB.

And you're right. This draft has so much depth there will be several teams wanting to trade down.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AP is a very good back. I might start thinking of going and getting him if he slid out of the top 10. However, I don't think that'll ever happen. If it does, then I'll be the first one to start thinking of going and getting him.

Won't happen though, IMO.

Just like Emmitt meant a whole lot to our team, a back like AP could be a guy like that. Someone who takes the team from competitive to dominant. He might not though, but he has that kind of talent if he stays healthy.

We moved up from #21 (I think) to number 17 to get Emmitt. I doubt anyone thought we gave up too much for that trade, regardless of what we traded.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;1425062 said:
We have a potential SB contender. We are not in need of a RB IMO.
That's my personal viewpoint also. Indianapolis just won a Super Bowl with Joseph Addai in the back field. One could argue that:

Addai > Julius Jones

Addai > Marion Barber

... but few could, imo, argue that Addai is greater than the combination of Jones and Barber, two young running backs. That's what we have right now. The strengths of this upcoming draft can be mined in areas other than running back. Or, at least, not in the upper top half of the first round.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DallasEast;1425081 said:
That's my personal viewpoint also. Indianapolis just won a Super Bowl with Joseph Addai in the back field. One could argue that:

Addai > Julius Jones

Addai > Marion Barber

... but few could, imo, argue that Addai is greater than the combination of Jones and Barber, two young running backs. That's what we have right now. The strengths of this upcoming draft can be mined in areas other than running back. Or, at least, not in the upper top half of the first round.

But they didn't win with just Addai in the backfield. In fact, Addai ran the ball less than Rhodes in the SB.

During the season, Addai went 226-1081 (4.8 YPC). Rhodes went 187-641 (3.4 YPC). Addai had 40 receptions and Rhodes 36. During the post-season, Rhodes went 62-306 and Addai 76-294.

What does this tell us? Unless you have a superstar RB, and there are only a couple it in the league....

Two running backs good.

One running back to handle the entire load bad.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc;1425083 said:
But they didn't win with just Addai in the backfield. In fact, Addai ran the ball less than Rhodes in the SB.

During the season, Addai went 226-1081 (4.8 YPC). Rhodes went 187-641 (3.4 YPC). Addai had 40 receptions and Rhodes 36. During the post-season, Rhodes went 62-306 and Addai 76-294.

What does this tell us? Unless you have a superstar RB, and there are only a couple it in the league....

Two running backs good.

One running back to handle the entire load bad.
Good points. We don't have a superstar running back (unless it's buried deep within Jones/I know, but I can still hope). We do have two good, not great, but good backs. And we still haven't tapped their full potential yet.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jake0;1424154 said:
Wow, you people are so freakin stubborn. I just brought it up because hey.. every year someone you don't expect drops, and to me Peterson is a candidate for that. Hence the topic of hypothetical, I don't expect him to by any means.

If you don't want to participate and give your opinion on whether something should be done if Peterson suffers a dropoff on draft day for whatever reason, then simply don't reply and let this thread dwindle off into the 20th page. That is all.

If Peterson dropped all the way to 20 or so, I might consider giving up a day 2 pick to move up and get him, but I have no interest in dealing any of our day 1 picks for him...zero.

It's probably just my hatred for everything Oklahoma, but I don't think he's going to be a superstar in the NFL.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1424324 said:
I'm not a GM and nor would I ever be, But I would trade this year and next year 1st and JJ for peterson and a 3rd next year. we would still have 3 1st day picks just not a 1st

That's crazy, imo...no way I'd give up two 1's for the guy.

lostinomiya

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1424440 said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

an interesting enough original post which was unfortunately met by the glib and rude thought police in the first few posts.

if you are not interested in the post, move along, dont make the effort to post insults, go away.

Jake0

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1424256 said:
Log off, get a clue, then come back when your head is clear. Peterson isnt dropping past Cleveland. I'd bet my life on it.

I feel bad for bringing this thread back up, but this just intrigues me too much. Were you not the guy that had to take a leave of absence from the board for some stupidity you said at the end of last season?

Betting your life would be ******** of course, but how about betting your e-life? If Peterson drops past 3 for whatever reason, you go and find yourself another cowboys forum to partake in. If he is taken top 3 I will do the same.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jake0;1431370 said:
I feel bad for bringing this thread back up, but this just intrigues me too much. Were you not the guy that had to take a leave of absence from the board for some stupidity you said at the end of last season?

Betting your life would be ******** of course, but how about betting your e-life? If Peterson drops past 3 for whatever reason, you go and find yourself another cowboys forum to partake in. If he is taken top 3 I will do the same.

Might be ******** but I'd be right there with HH. I just don't see it. He is too talented to drop. It would be interesting indeed if he did and nobody would be happier then I. He is the biggest wish in this draft for me but it's not even something I consider realistically. He's just not a guy we are ever going to see in the draft IMO.