I’m Over It

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Watching the board fall the way it did felt like we were destined to pick Tyler Smith.

I’m over it though. All we can do is hope the Cowboys scouted him well.

I do see some discernible talent there. I think if we play him at OG that could possibly help him with the some of the penalty issues as he’s not dealing with quicker players beating him, causing him to reach as much; he’s more protected inside.

Also, it’s worth mentioning Joe Philbin probably had a lot of input in evaluating this player. FWIW, Broaddus has been consistently saying Philbin was not a fan of McGovern who was a “scouts’ pick.”

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watching the board fall the way it did felt like we were destined to pick Tyler Smith.

I do see some discernible talent there. I think if we play him at OG that could possibly help him with the some of the penalty issues as he’s not dealing with quicker players beating him, causing him to reach as much; he’s more protected inside.

Also, it’s worth mentioning Joe Philbin probably had a lot of input in evaluating this player. FWIW, Broaddus has been consistently saying Philbin was not a fan of McGovern who was a “scouts’ pick.”
When I was his tape, one of the things that stood out negatively was that he was also over aggressive to go along with unrefined technique. Outside of learning better technique, he has to play under control. I do think there is alot of talent there

JHolz2020

Reaction score
When I was his tape, one of the things that stood out negatively was that he was also over aggressive to go along with unrefined technique. Outside of learning better technique, he has to play under control. I do think there is alot of talent there

All you describe there can be improved and the guy has great traits. I have to be honest when the pick was made I kind of shook my head but I'm already coming around on him. I watched a little tape and yeah he is a bit raw but you can definitely see what they like. He looks like a very nimble big dude so once you clean-up his technique it could be go time!

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

You mean philbin doesnt like "Blinking Lights"?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Theres no talent its all just size and athleticism but he still needs to learn to play o line then learn to play guard something hes never done

reddyuta

Reaction score

i am not an expert but watching some videos his hand usage is really bad,he doesnt get it inside on the body of the DE and gets over balanced.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think what chaps my butt is Johnson was sitting there. A legit DE talent for a team that literally has to play a LB at DE to generate pass rush.

If Johnson had been snatched up by then, I think I’d feel a bit better.
A continuation from my comment on the other thread. If they he had personality issues that cause them to take him off the board, then why tf have they been looking at Sam Williams.

Im still pulling for Sam Williams, but that would be funny in the saddest way

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philbin thought McGovern was too passive.

The Cowboys need some nastiness on the OL.

If Tyler Smith gets a penalty, it will be after then takes a defender to the ground.

When Connor Williams got a penalty it was after the defender took him to the ground.

Some DL from back in the day have admitted they probably could have beaten Larry Allen on occasion with quickness, but they knew if that happened they would get severely punished.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think what chaps my butt is Johnson was sitting there. A legit DE talent for a team that literally has to play a LB at DE to generate pass rush.

Yes but Edge players very seldom put it together year 1. Not saying it could not happen but the likelihood is low. If they stuck to their board regardless of how right or wrong it was in the fans eyes I cannot fault them.

Sydla

Reaction score
A continuation from my comment on the other thread. If they he had personality issues that cause them to take him off the board, then why tf have they been looking at Sam Williams.

Im still pulling for Sam Williams, but that would be funny in the saddest way

Yep. I have no idea what their board looked like but I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt they had to force an OL pick there too given how they saw guys like Green and Johnson go a bit earlier than people thought.

I’ll say this, if the draft ends and our DE depth chart is Lawrence, Fowler, Armstrong and Golston, I am gonna laugh.

That’s garbage.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes but Edge players very seldom put it together year 1. Not saying it could not happen but the likelihood is low. If they stuck to their board regardless of how right or wrong it was in the fans eyes I cannot fault them.

But they took a raw OL instead who may also need a year or two to develop.

It’s not like they drafted a player who is a sure fire lock to start and play at a high level as a rookie.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. I have no idea what their board looked like but I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt they had to force an OL pick there too given how they saw guys like Green and Johnson go a bit earlier than people thought.

I’ll say this, if the draft ends and our DE depth chart is Lawrence, Fowler, Armstrong and Golston, I am gonna laugh.

That’s garbage.
You'll get Mayji Sanders and you'll like it

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Micah is better DE than Johnson.

And Johnson is better at strongside DE, which is DLaw's spot.

Cowboys filled a greater and more immediate need at OG, and Smith's upside is better than Johnson as well.

jrumann59

Reaction score
But they took a raw OL instead who may also need a year or two to develop.

It’s not like they drafted a player who is a sure fire lock to start and play at a high level as a rookie.
Even raw is main issue is technique mainly hand placement. That can be taught relatively easy from a half way competent OL whichh he did not have in college. Edge guys need a year or two of playing and weight training before they start paying off.

Sydla

Reaction score
Micah is better DE than Johnson.

And Johnson is better at strongside DE, which is DLaw's spot.

Cowboys filled a greater and more immediate need at OG, and Smith's upside is better than Johnson as well.

Micah is your best LB.

It’s comical watching people argue DE is fine because we can play Parsons there.

rambo2

Reaction score

I think that he will be better than Williams was.