I’m Over It

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm over it too. Did you see what some of these other teams did? Detroit will always be Detroit. Good God!

Reactions: BAT

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
FWIW, this is from back in March regarding the Titans and Dolphins heavy interest in Tyler Smith

Tony Pauline did say that the Titans and Dolphins were looking at Smith the hardest:

“I was told the Jets will try and have Smith meet with head coach Robert Saleh, but the big tackle may not be available when the team selects at the top of Round 2. The feeling leaving Tulsa’s Pro Day is the Dolphins or Titans could swipe him off the board late in Round 1.”

Read more: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/titansized.com/2022/03/11/tennessee-titans-2022-nfl-draft-3/amp/

Sydla

Reaction score
Not with Tyler Smith's upside.

How many rugged powerful OG with athleticism and feet to slide to LT at all pro level are left in this draft?

ZERO

And I'm strictly talking about potential.

Tyler Smith has the best upside at TWO positions.

And the DEs you take in the 2nd or 3rd round don't have the upside of Johnson.

People are getting way ahead of themselves thinking Smith is a future LT.

J-man

Reaction score
Micah is your best LB.

It’s comical watching people argue DE is fine because we can play Parsons there.

I don't think DE is fine, because Micah is also by far our best pass rusher.
I have a problem ignoring that fact so they can keep him at LB where he can do "more". His best trait has always been attacking the ball behind the los. Call him a LB and drop him in coverage once in a while if you want, but do not stop him from doing what he's best at most often. If that means moving him to DE to fix the lack of pass rush problem but needing another LB so be it, go get a LB.
And lets face it that's exactly what they are doing. They need him at LB so that's where he is. If they had better LB's he would be a full time pass rusher.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think DE is fine, because Micah is also by far our best pass rusher.
I have a problem ignoring that fact so they can keep him at LB where he can do "more". His best trait has always been attacking the ball behind the los. Call him a LB and drop him in coverage once in a while if you want, but do not stop him from doing what he's best at most often. If that means moving him to DE to fix the lack of pass rush problem but needing another LB so be it, go get a LB.
And lets face it that's exactly what they are doing. They need him at LB so that's where he is. If they had better LB's he would be a full time pass rusher.

He's a LB, not a DE. There is zero chance they'd play him as a full time edge player given his skill set. It would be foolish to do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching the board fall the way it did felt like we were destined to pick Tyler Smith.

I’m over it though. All we can do is hope the Cowboys scouted him well.

I do see some discernible talent there. I think if we play him at OG that could possibly help him with the some of the penalty issues as he’s not dealing with quicker players beating him, causing him to reach as much; he’s more protected inside.

Also, it’s worth mentioning Joe Philbin probably had a lot of input in evaluating this player. FWIW, Broaddus has been consistently saying Philbin was not a fan of McGovern who was a “scouts’ pick.”

All four of the guys I thought they might select - Jordan Davis, Penning, Green, and Zion Johnson - were taken ahead of the Cowboys’ slot. I don’t hate that they drafted Smith. I think there’s talent there and that he can either be your future left tackle or a quality guard.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
And the DEs you take in the 2nd or 3rd round don't have the upside of Johnson.

People are getting way ahead of themselves thinking Smith is a future LT.

Agree to disagree then.

J-man

Reaction score
He's a LB, not a DE. There is zero chance they'd play him as a full time edge player given his skill set. It would be foolish to do so.

I live in Harrisburg PA where he grew up. I am a huge PSU fan. I have literally watched him play football his entire life. He can certainly be a very good LB in the NFL. But believe my when I tell you that it would be wise to play him at his best position, which is pass rusher. Actually, his best position in the NFL would be as an OLB in a 3/4. We don't play a 3/4, but that's how we should be using him. So again, I don't care if you call him a LB or a DE, as long as he's attacking the ball 95% of the time. That's what he's best at, and he's great at it.
Doing otherwise is foolish. They're (almost) wasting his talent as a pass rusher, in the name of covering their current deficiencies at LB. If they can draft someone like Muma or Troy Anderson to play MLB, moving Parsons to RDE would be incredibly advantageous for this team.

Sydla

Reaction score
I live in Harrisburg PA where he grew up. I am a huge PSU fan. I have literally watched him play football his entire life. He can certainly be a very good LB in the NFL. But believe my when I tell you that it would be wise to play him at his best position, which is pass rusher. Actually, his best position in the NFL would be as an OLB in a 3/4. We don't play a 3/4, but that's how we should be using him. So again, I don't care if you call him a LB or a DE, as long as he's attacking the ball 95% of the time. That's what he's best at, and he's great at it.
Doing otherwise is foolish. They're (almost) wasting his talent as a pass rusher, in the name of covering their current deficiencies at LB. If they can draft someone like Muma or Troy Anderson to play MLB, moving Parsons to RDE would be incredibly advantageous for this team.

He's not a full time DE. His ability to be a flex guy and rush from a variety of places while also being able to drop into coverage is what makes him a stud. Playing him as a hand in the dirt DE nearly every down is just a poor use of his overall skill set.

J-man

Reaction score
He's not a full time DE. His ability to be a flex guy and rush from a variety of places while also being able to drop into coverage is what makes him a stud. Playing him as a hand in the dirt DE nearly every down is just a poor use of his overall skill set.

How many 3/4 OLB's play with their hand in the dirt? Exactly

Aven8

Reaction score
Watching the board fall the way it did felt like we were destined to pick Tyler Smith.

I do see some discernible talent there. I think if we play him at OG that could possibly help him with the some of the penalty issues as he’s not dealing with quicker players beating him, causing him to reach as much; he’s more protected inside.

Also, it’s worth mentioning Joe Philbin probably had a lot of input in evaluating this player. FWIW, Broaddus has been consistently saying Philbin was not a fan of McGovern who was a “scouts’ pick.”

Well Philbin might have had a bad year last year, but he was right on McGovern and Steele. One can’t play and the other can.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
All you describe there can be improved and the guy has great traits. I have to be honest when the pick was made I kind of shook my head but I'm already coming around on him. I watched a little tape and yeah he is a bit raw but you can definitely see what they like. He looks like a very nimble big dude so once you clean-up his technique it could be go time!

And he's strong!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I agree, but LG is the more urgent need.

Still some talented EDGE players available.

Sam Williams in the 3rd or Amare Barno in 4th is still doable.

And they are both true weakside pass rushers with excellent length and run 4.4 or better.

Love both players.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep. I have no idea what their board looked like but I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt they had to force an OL pick there too given how they saw guys like Green and Johnson go a bit earlier than people thought.

I’ll say this, if the draft ends and our DE depth chart is Lawrence, Fowler, Armstrong and Golston, I am gonna laugh.

That’s garbage.

Per Jerry, they had Smith rated higher than Green and Johnson. Doesn't mean they would have taken Smith if Green or Johnson had dropped to their spot (I think they would have taken Green or Johnson because they are polished), just that they believed Smith to be a better talent.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Or Zach Tom.

Either works for me.

I had seen the name, searched it, and only yielded the Dolphins great LB during the Jimmy Johnson era.

Chalked it off to lack of humor, on my part.

Glad to be wrong.

Nice player.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
But they took a raw OL instead who may also need a year or two to develop.

It’s not like they drafted a player who is a sure fire lock to start and play at a high level as a rookie.
nobody drafted that.

Mr_437

Reaction score

This organization needs to stop letting Coaches make picks especially when they may not be around the next year.